Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should People Be Fined For Driving Too Slow?!

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
i always thought those numbers at the side of the road were advisorary minimums, not maximums :shrug:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The number of slow drivers as against those who break the limits must be minuscule ....those are the ones who piss me off...i'm sticking to my limits or not driving at full pelt round a housing estate and they are stuck on my tail like a fekin angry wasp..i wish i had button i could press which either chucked out a load of nails or tuned a sign on ''back off bitch'' ....thanx i feel better now

- - - Updated - - -

The number of slow drivers as against those who break the limits must be minuscule ....those are the ones who piss me off...i'm sticking to my limits or not driving at full pelt round a housing estate and they are stuck on my tail like a fekin angry wasp..i wish i had button i could press which either chucked out a load of nails or tuned a sign on ''back off bitch'' ....thanx i feel better now

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
While excessively slow drivers are annoying and can be dangerous I would sooner they started doing more to take other people who drive like twats off the road.
Tailgaters, people who cut in and out recklessly, fog light abusers and so forth.
Fortunately they are easy to spot, as I was told learning to drive "there's a BMW, be prepared for them to act like a twat". Now of course a lot of twats drive Audis too.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Compulsory test every 10 years, and every 5 years for over 65s. If you fail, you have 3 months to retake or lose your licence. Nice revenue earner for the government. Job Done.

Now what party will put that in their manifesto ???

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008

Trouble is, and taking Lewes to Polegate as a fine example, if some old bint with her old bint friend decides to take that road at 30 then shortly there will be queue of 2000 angry drivers behind her and an accident waiting to happen. They are happily discussing their knitting patterns and enjoying the clear open road in front of them ('this road is quiet today Doris').

Her problem is not her speed as such, its consideration (or even awareness) of other road users. My son failed his driving test for driving 30 in a 40.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Trouble is, and taking Lewes to Polegate as a fine example, if some old bint with her old bint friend decides to take that road at 30 then shortly there will be queue of 2000 angry drivers behind her and an accident waiting to happen. They are happily discussing their knitting patterns and enjoying the clear open road in front of them ('this road is quiet today Doris').

Her problem is not her speed as such, its consideration (or even awareness) of other road users. My son failed his driving test for driving 30 in a 40.
I HATE the drive from Lewes to Polegate for this reason. I worked in Eastbourne for a year and it was a nightmare EVERY day. In Scotland they have signs saying "slow vehicles please let people behind you overtake" which seem to work. Perhaps they could try that down here.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Compulsory test every 10 years, and every 5 years for over 65s. If you fail, you have 3 months to retake or lose your licence. Nice revenue earner for the government. Job Done.

Now what party will put that in their manifesto ???

Also-whilst we are at it,longer lessons,minimum of "hours" including motorway work and night time driving too,in addition to nobody allowed to take a re test after 3 failed attempts for 5 years...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Oh i dont disagree ..but the speedsters are by far in the majority and allow no margin for error

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Micras. I chuffing hate Micras. Slow arsed, dull, dreary, unimaginative, boring, and yes, always doing 20mph less than acceptable.

Had to laugh at this.My old man got stopped in Worthing by a lady plod for driving too slowly round a roundabout.
He is pretty old,was driving his Nissan Micra,but wasn't wearing a hat!!:D

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
I was driving along a motorway last week at a cruise controlled 70mph. The motorway not particularly busy so most of the traffic was in the proper lane (ie the nearside lane). Suddenly, the car in front swerved into the middle lane as had apparently been surprised by a car doing approx 40mph in front of him. OK, the driver should have been paying sufficient attention to have realised how quickly he was closing, but in his defence he probably expected the other car to be something close to 70mph on a motorway. Yes, driving too slow can be dangerous.

For me, though, the most annoying driver is the one that drives at 40 in a 50 zone, and then continues to drive at 40 when the speed limit changes to 30; they are clearly driving without due care and attention.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
For me, though, the most annoying driver is the one that drives at 40 in a 50 zone, and then continues to drive at 40 when the speed limit changes to 30; they are clearly driving without due care and attention.

Or they had died whilst the cruise control was activated

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Don't get me started on this. The A27 between Lewes and Falmer is a classic piece of dual carriageway where you get idiots pull out into the outside lane and proceed to overtake a car whilst doing 45 mph and the other car is doing 40 !!!! The manoeuvre takes about 3 miles to complete :angry:

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
"No motor vehicle shall be driven on a highway at such a slow rate of speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic thereon except when the slow rate of speed is necessary for safe operation having regard to all the circumstances."
"... all current safety campaigns emphasize that speed kills. They imply that the slower driver is the virtuous one and is helping protect himself and other drivers. It isn't so. To reduce fatalities, it is important that everyone drive at about the same speed. Thus the major consideration in choosing a speed limit is that it be obeyed. And the major consideration for police is to reduce variation, not speed, because slow drivers are as much a public hazard as fast ones."

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
The ones that get to me are the slow drivers who place their car in the road to prevent you overtaking them. It's like "The speed I'm doing is the correct one & I'll Stop you going faster"
Or alternatively the drivers who slow to 10mph when going round curves or if there is oncoming traffic on country lanes but then speed up when there is opportunity to overtake them on a straight clear section.
The above is with the obvious exceptions of adverse road conditions, slow moving agricultural vehicles & cyclists on country roads (But don't get me started about said cyclist riding two or three abreast & not getting into single file when faster vehicles approach)
:angry:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I got stuck behind a Honda Jazz this morning driving from Shoreham to Henfield. I wasn't pushed for time, so I just went with the flow and it really wasn't all that bad. No football Saturday chill out people.

Correction Burn them

Just read this and all talk of mellow and chilled has gone out the window.

Dance flash mob in Brighton city centre From The Argus)

Not sure I can explain exactly why this crap winds me up the wrong way :angry:

Last edited:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Some years back I was giving a friend a lift and as I pulled out from a side street he exclaimed:
"phew, I'm glad you got out in front of that learner. It really f***ing pisses me off being stuck behind one of those arseholes doing 15 mph on a wide open road"
He was about to continue on his rant when I caused him to stop. I'm not sure how the idea popped into my head but I had slowed down to walking pace. "let's see how they like it". We laughed our asses off for the next 5 minutes, covering about 300 yards to the end of the road.
I admit this was driving like a twat. But it was far funnier and safer than any twatty behaviour I've done in a car at speed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here