Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should People Be Fined For Driving Too Slow?!

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Its starting to drive me to drink this. Cars (normally a Honda Jazz/Nissan Micra, although there are others!) that seem to drive at a steady 10-15 miles under the speed limit constantly. In my mind if these drivers don;t have the confidence to drive at the speed limit or at least something approaching it it means they clearly aren't comfortable enough to be driving on the roads.

It poses all sorts of risks such as someone driving at 50 in a 50 limit to come round a corner to be met with a car driving at 20mph, only 1 outcome really.

Most of these drivers get in to their car look straight forward, right foot down and when the speed suits them they just carry on at that speed regardless of the limit on the roads they are travelling on. In summary they don't actually realise the speed they are travelling at!

Its all well and good the Police dishing out fines for people driving too fast but what about those that clearly shouldn't be on the road because just being in a car scares the life out of them.

No, you probably won't kill a child travelling at 15 mph but the risks to other road users who are travelling at the designated speed for that road are potentially catastrophic.

Something needs to be done!

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
In North America you can be charged for that I believe as you driving 20 below the flow of traffic is very dangerous

Telscombe Seagull

Aug 15, 2003
Burgess Hill
While I understand where you're coming from, we don't actually have a lower limit in this country like in the USA do we? Surely if ploughing into someone at 20+ mph lower than the limit then you are at fault for not paying attention to the road ahead? (according the the law, not you personally!)

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
I came across a Nissan Micra on the M25 yesterday doing probably 40mph in the middle lane.
Absolutely crazy driving and it was forcing people to change lane very quickly. Utter madness.

Don't get me started on the car doing 20mph in a 60mph on Balcombe road this evening.....

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
People have been pursued for driving without consideration for other road users for driving at inappropriately slow speeds for the road, or for sitting in the middle/offside lane.

That said, if you spank it round a corner and plough into the back of a car that happens to be doing 25 miles per hour, it will be you that is almost certainly deemed responsible, as you should have adjusted your speed to account for the fact that there was a bend around which you could not see. A car doing 25mph is no different to a tractor, or a cyclist.

Annoying, but suck it up, eh?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
You just know after a mile or so of nice clear road at 6 am any time now out of absolutely nowhere a citroen saxo will just magic it self in front of you for the rest of your journey home , caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaants

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Cars (normally a Honda Jazz/Nissan Micra, although there are others!)

This. The rule of thumb tends to be that if the car is taller than it is wide then it is generally being driven by a silly old codger, who shouldn't be on the roads.

Also anyone who drives whilst wearing a hat seems to be incapable of going above 25mph.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I must admit that the last few years have seen me driving slower without realising. I've always driven at what I thought was a comfortable speed which seemed to be in tune with the general traffic flow. However lately I have been quite shocked at how often I'm being overtaken or tailgated and looked down to find I'm doing less than I imagined. Must be an age thing as I've now reached 58. So sorry about that @Rousey.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
They are, very occasionally, here but if someone appeals it the magistrates nearly always let them off with incredulity that its even possible to drive "too slow".

It is absolutely lethal, particularly as someone who pootles along is also far more likely to have an incorrectly lit vehicle from experience (drive 80,000+ a year).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
definatly on the motorway.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Last week after the Blackburn game, I followed a Rover Metro going at speeds off 20 to 25 mph for about 10 miles from just past Lewes on the a27. There were several cars ahead of me, none of which were prepared to overtake and so consequently a huge queue developed behind snaking away into the distance. So frustrating!

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Isn't there a minimum speed limit on the Dartford Bridge?

I'm pretty sure I saw a blue sign with 10 written in it on my way through the tunnel the other day.....I think that's a minimum speed sign.
I could be talking out my arse though!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Middle lane motorway drivers need educating. There should be overhead signs along motorways underlining what the middle lane should be used for.

Dec 29, 2011
They are, very occasionally, here but if someone appeals it the magistrates nearly always let them off with incredulity that its even possible to drive "too slow".

It is absolutely lethal, particularly as someone who pootles along is also far more likely to have an incorrectly lit vehicle from experience (drive 80,000+ a year).

Incorrectly lit vehicle? How do you define that. Surely having fog lights on when they're not needed can be classes as 'incorrectly lit' and that usually occurs on very fast drivers.

As for the OP, I agree.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
This. The rule of thumb tends to be that if the car is taller than it is wide then it is generally being driven by a silly old codger, who shouldn't be on the roads.

Also anyone who drives whilst wearing a hat seems to be incapable of going above 25mph.

Anyone who drives whilst wearing a hat should be fined :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here