[NSC] Should NSC just be a football forum?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should NSC just be a football forum?

• Yes - It should only be focused upon football.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • No - But I think that there should be a section on football, and another for other topics.

Votes: 44 13.6%
  • No - I like it how it is currently, it works fine.

Votes: 263 81.4%

• Total voters

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I love NSC as it is, and has always been. If a topic doesn't interest me, I don't open it. Just as I ignore some posters who I find prattish or puerile (I'm sure they judge me similarly).

I've discovered so much about music, literature, travel tips, recipes, recommended pubs, TV programmes, social/demographic changes in Brighton/Hove/Worthing, whether my hometown of Lancing is still a sh*thole, and meteorology (thanks @Papa Lazarou!) etc.

And I am still chuckling at the very recent Bob Mortimer WILTY thread.

Long may all this continue - made possible by @bozza's fantastic hard-work and patience :bowdown:

Last edited:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
As is please, but still really disappointed in the way a number of people have reacted to a member and loyal supporter who has been struggling with recent events. Well done if you have managed to settle a few old scores, but sometimes a little empathy wouldn't go amiss.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It feels as though it comes up when there is a certain thread / issue which is being much discussed (usually a large but complicated current affairs story such as the current war in the Middle East which has triggered this round) and people don’t like that it is being discussed so much. I 100% understand concerns that such content can spill over into other threads, and that shouldn’t happen, but to suggest the alternative is to shut down all discussion of it is, IMHO, a poor idea.

And this only ever seems to apply to certain topics. There’s a cricket World Cup thread, should that be shut down? What about the horse racing threads? The rugby World Cup? The cover songs thread? Is it egregious to have these on here too?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It feels as though it comes up when there is a certain thread / issue which is being much discussed (usually a large but complicated current affairs story such as the current war in the Middle East which has triggered this round) and people don’t like that it is being discussed so much. I 100% understand concerns that such content can spill over into other threads, and that shouldn’t happen, but to suggest the alternative is to shut down all discussion of it is, IMHO, a poor idea.

And this only ever seems to apply to certain topics. There’s a cricket World Cup thread, should that be shut down? What about the horse racing threads? The rugby World Cup? The cover songs thread? Is it egregious to have these on here too?
It’s nothing to do with discussing an issue. It’s about nastiness. People do not behave in this way on the threads you mention.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It’s nothing to do with discussing an issue. It’s about nastiness. People do not behave in this way on the threads you mention.
Maybe so, but that wasn’t the question asked (whether NSC should be “football only”). I would also argue that the football threads can often be just as, if not more, nasty as others. The “Potter In” vs “Potter Out” threads certainly had their moments, for example.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Maybe so, but that wasn’t the question asked (whether NSC should be “football only”). I would also argue that the football threads can often be just as, if not more, nasty as others. The “Potter In” vs “Potter Out” threads certainly had their moments, for example.
That is also true. I still think politics brings out the very worst in a number of posters and turns people away from the forum in general. There are so many other nasty corners of the internet for certain posters to inhabit if they wish. They often forget or are unaware that many posters on NSC don’t read other forums or Twitter and are not political activists. By forgetting this fact they then interact with people on here in a wholly inappropriate way.

Reactions: A1X

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Yes, yes they do. I probably spend more time on here than anyone else. I see every single reports of "bad posts". People talk to me all the time about NSC when they find out I'm involved.

People on here disagree on every possible subject. They always have and, I suspect, they always will.

Nastiness happens everywhere, unfortunately. Society generally has seen an erosion in the common courtesies of respect and politeness and we see that on here. I have a firm belief that people spend so much of their time in their own echo chambers, often unintentionally due to the way algorithms shape what they see, that they can react badly when they see opposing views, even when presented constructively.

You often write in a style that I would call direct or robust. It can and does upset people on occasion. Some would undoubtedly call your tone nasty.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
NSC wouldn't be the same if it were just football. And NSC, as it currently exists, is somewhere I really enjoy spending time.

The mental health threads are a testament, I think, to how vital places like this are. Places where people can go and talk and discuss whatever, but especially places where groups of (mostly) men can talk about their successes and struggles and anything else in between.

It does get a bit feisty in here from time-to-time but it always calms down and as others have said - if something is upsetting to you or winding you up just don't engage with it. Easier said than done sometimes of course, I've definitely nibbled at bait when I shouldn't have.

My only real concern with NSC is that one day, when these contentious times bubble over on here, Bozza and / or the mod team are going to decide they've had enough of herding angry middle-aged toddlers and call it quits.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
...but to finish that post off: when you see a "nasty" post, please report it.

Mods will read many of the posts on here in their own usage of the site, but not all.

We can and do act where appropriate and fortunately, most people, when we speak to them, apologise politely, perhaps reveal they knew they got a bit over-heated and tell us they'll try to do better next time.

Most people are good people and want to do the right thing. We look for the best in everyone, and give most a second chance, but we also won't shy away in showing people the (virtual) door if they repeatedly disrupt and abuse.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You often write in a style that I would call direct or robust. It can and does upset people on occasion. Some would undoubtedly call your tone nasty.

I feel guilty for writing that now. I share a similar trait. I'm aware of it and I try to tone it down when I notice it, either before or after I click the "Post reply" button.

I think it's like driving: we all see bad drivers on the road, but we are never a bad driver. We all see people being rude, but we are never rude ourselves.

In the ultra-secret Mods chat this week, we've spoken about this, and how we need to try better with our tone when we post. Although we all enjoy using the site in the same way as everyone else, we need to be aware of claims of hypocrisy if people think we're not abiding by the standards we aim to maintain.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

This is why it shouldn't be just about football

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
This poll crops up every couple of years and the results are always the same.

Don't seperate the threads.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
None of the above. There are lots of topics discussed on NSC by decent people with one main shared interest. Unfortunately the forum is let down by its political content. Banish that alone to a sub forum and I reckon the nastier posters would go elsewhere.

I respectfully disagree. Politics is a subject that many of us enjoy discussing on the board, all that is necessary to ignore the (clearly marked) politics threads is to not open, read or post on them.

If Bozza is able to implement the “ignore thread” feature, there will be even more tools available to those who wish to ignore threads, and who have either lost all semblance of self-control, or who are genuinely having such a rough time atm, that they don’t want to be even momentarily reminded of the utter mess we’ve made of the world. (I have sympathy for the latter group, not so much the former)

It’s only through the back and forth of debate that we discover who can defend their positions, and who is trying to mislead or is not sincere in their posts. I can’t claim an ignore list like @HWT’s, but those who’ve made it there have proven themselves as arguing in bad faith.

We can reach for objective truths, we all have confirmation bias, but in the end most of us debate in good faith, whatever our starting positions.

In general the most nastiness I’ve seen is when somebody is parroting something so clearly untrue that it does not stand up to the minutest scrutiny. It exposes an agenda, and they get called out on it.

I would argue that it’s better to live at peace than attempt to censor or silence others. I won’t derail this thread any more. All I’ll say is that I think you’ll be (pleasantly?) surprised by how much robust criticism our next government comes in for on here, regardless of which party forms it. That, to me, is the sign of a healthy democracy.

TLDR - the politics threads are a sign of a healthy democracy and easily ignored if desired.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Yes, yes they do. I probably spend more time on here than anyone else. I see every single reports of "bad posts". People talk to me all the time about NSC when they find out I'm involved.

People on here disagree on every possible subject. They always have and, I suspect, they always will.

Nastiness happens everywhere, unfortunately. Society generally has seen an erosion in the common courtesies of respect and politeness and we see that on here. I have a firm belief that people spend so much of their time in their own echo chambers, often unintentionally due to the way algorithms shape what they see, that they can react badly when they see opposing views, even when presented constructively.

I think you fail to understand the users of the forum. Most people do not spend their time in echo chambers directed by algorithms, regardless of what you firmly believe, because most of us do not form our views from Internet forums, Twitter or whatever else.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I feel guilty for writing that now. I share a similar trait. I'm aware of it and I try to tone it down when I notice it, either before or after I click the "Post reply" button.

I think it's like driving: we all see bad drivers on the road, but we are never a bad driver. We all see people being rude, but we are never rude ourselves.

In the ultra-secret Mods chat this week, we've spoken about this, and how we need to try better with our tone when we post. Although we all enjoy using the site in the same way as everyone else, we need to be aware of claims of hypocrisy if people think we're not abiding by the standards we aim to maintain.
Thank you. No problem

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports