Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Should Nigel Farage get a knighthood?

Years back, I did an OU science course, it covered Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Earth Science ( Geology +). I went to various lectures and a summer school and it was good fun. The husband of the Chemistry professor who was my course tutor was recommended for a MBE by his colleagues, he had spent 40 odd years teaching Chemistry full-time and evening classes and OU students as well. He never realised how loved and respected he was by fellow staff and students and, when, out of the blue, he was awarded an MBE, apparently he was in tears.

This is the true meaning and reason for these rewards. Someone genuine and caring who has devoted their life to educating, helping, informing and supporting others. A thoroughly deserved award.... Nigel Farage? not fit to lace his boots.

Exactly. Similar to my much loved Grandmother in law who was honoured with an MBE for her long career in nursing, also as a Marie Curie nurse.

Feb 9, 2019
Exactly. Similar to my much loved Grandmother in law who was honoured with an MBE for her long career in nursing, also as a Marie Curie nurse.

Nigel is fully deserving of an MBE, for being the sole advocate of leaving the corrupt eu all those years ago. It isn't to the liking of the vast majority of the tree hugging middle classes of Brighton, but too late, we are on the way out, probably with no deal on WTO terms, which will be great for the country.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Nigel is fully deserving of an MBE, for being the sole advocate of leaving the corrupt eu all those years ago. It isn't to the liking of the vast majority of the tree hugging middle classes of Brighton, but too late, we are on the way out, probably with no deal on WTO terms, which will be great for the country.

Few beers today at the Spurs game?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Five pages? No. The answer is no. FFS.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

............... And thereby being, as you yourself almost explain, just about THE most divisive politician of the 21st Century.

And so giving him any sort of honour would be even more divisive at a time when everybody is saying we need to unite the country.

The man is profojndly ignorant. Many years ago I was sitting watching Question Time with my daughter who was revising for her finals in European Studies at Cardiff - European Studies being languages plus politics etc and the European institutions, but the course was deliberately not named European Union Studies. This was about 1993 or 94. Farage was on QT and it was the run up to a General Election. Every time he made a statement about the European Union, our Ellie would say "no it isn't, " or "that's not true".

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
It makes me smile when I see his acolytes refer to him as 'Nigel', as if he was a personal friend they have known for a long time.....
The truth is, like Johnston, Farage inhabits a different, more privileged world that is quite alien to the one the vast majority of his most ardent supporters do or will inhabit; and he has made life better for himself and possibly worse for them.
'Nigel' and 'Boris' have sufficient recognition amongst the faithful. It is not them but those who have worked tirelessly in public service, without substantial financial reward, who should receive such honours.....but that is the ideal and in reality the honours system is generally cronyism with a more attractive name.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
BBC website has just published details of the New Years Honours. Unaccountably I can't see his name on it anywhere.

Oh dear, how sad never mind.

Equal only to my disappointment when I don’t see him in the obituary column.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
IDS is a tosser, but on the plus side John Bercow didn’t get one.

And bizarrely Baroness (Floella) Benjamin got a damehood, which is surely like giving a gold medal winner a bronze medal as well.

Back to IDS, earthly glories soon fade away. Fat lot of good a gong’ll do him, nor his wife’s money, as he burns eternally in the fiery lake for his deliberate assaults on the poor which seemed to give him so much amusement.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

And bizarrely Baroness (Floella) Benjamin got a damehood, which is surely like giving a gold medal winner a bronze medal as well.

Back to IDS, earthly glories soon fade away. Fat lot of good a gong’ll do him, nor his wife’s money, as he burns eternally in the fiery lake for his deliberate assaults on the poor which seemed to give him so much amusement.

Probably not as much amusement as he got joining Johnson, Farage and JRM to persuade those same poor to vote for Brexit ???

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

I expect the lovely Floella gets her latest award for services to reincarnation,having sailed to the UK on Windrush many years before she was born.As we have not left the Evil Union yet,Liz will promote Nige to the peerage in her birthday honours,no doubt.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
But sadly, the wife's fortune funded 'the poor aren't working hard enough' architect of universal credit- Ian Duncan Smith - gets knighted. Just when I thought this year couldn't get anymore annoying!

In my opinion, any even handed and conciliatory act Johnston performs would be out of character and still more annoying than this; he continually demonstrates how graceless he is and the honours list is a complete farce, with mendacious cronies like IDS given the same formal esteem as self-effacing, generous spirited public servants, philanthropists and outstanding sporting/music talents.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here