Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Should Nigel Farage get a knighthood?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Skip the Knighthood. Go straight to King. :whistle:
Merry Xmas

df0.png

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Me, I just think it was a daft idea and won’t be good for us or Europe but it’s unlikely to be doom and gloom just a mess that will take a few years to stabilise.

In reality I suggest nobody KNOWS what the consequences will be yet. Certainly not anyone on NSC however often they deliver their opinions as fact.
I agree. But plenty lined up to relentlessly tell us how dire the consequences would be! Without trawling through about twenty million threads, I'm quite happy to accept your assertion that you were one of the less frenetic ones. :)

Others were perhaps a tad more didactic..............

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
The penny finally dropped today for me that the Tories are taking away my EU Citizenship against my will and my wishes.

It would have been fine if the compensation for that was EFTA membership and close links to the single market.

But that is not the compensation they are proposing.

Shag the tories. Shag them forever. Shag the horse they rode in on. Tossers.

True enough that none of us know the precise consequences in terms of our economy, food standards, civil liberties, global influence, security, environment, rights at work etc though it is hard to see how they will be better outside the EU. We do know, however, that unless Johnson and co go for the softest of Brexits, which would outrage Sir/Lord/King Nigel and his acolytes, we have sacrificed or at the very least drastically reduced our rights to freely travel, live, love, work and study across the EU and the reciprocal rights and opportunities of our fellow citizens - freedoms and opportunities which have massively benefitted us Brits in so many ways.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I usually think knighthoods are a waste of time, but this would piss off the “anyone who disagrees with me is a fascist Nazi racist” brigade, so yes, purely for the lolz.

But if a Pal-Arse fan gets a knighthood then a Brighton one should get one for balance, so arise Sir Desmond Lynam.

Des is Irish...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Thanks... you should be enjoying 'your moment' right now as you suggested.
I am calm and entirely at peace with myself; I trust you are too....

If you have the chance, in a spare moment over Christmas, check out the definition of 'sarcasm' and then avoid using it!

Case closed. Now let's leave it.
Oh dear, you just can't leave it, can you. Must be hurting. Sorry .............................. but your problem, not mine .................

Me, I just think it was a daft idea and won’t be good for us or Europe but it’s unlikely to be doom and gloom just a mess that will take a few years to stabilise.
In reality I suggest nobody KNOWS what the consequences will be yet. Certainly not anyone on NSC however often they deliver their opinions as fact.
I agree that nobody really knows, although some of us do have different expectations. However, ther are still some who sadly do 'know' stuff ........
We do know, however, that unless Johnson and co go for the softest of Brexits, which would outrage Sir/Lord/King Nigel and his acolytes, we have sacrificed or at the very least drastically reduced our rights to freely travel, live, love, work and study across the EU and the reciprocal rights and opportunities of our fellow citizens - freedoms and opportunities which have massively benefitted us Brits in so many ways.

Exactly right...
No-one knows? Well - with exceptions like the one above, yes (sort of).

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
Oh dear, you just can't leave it, can you. Must be hurting. Sorry .............................. but your problem, not mine .................

I agree that nobody really knows, although some of us do have different expectations. However, ther are still some who sadly do 'know' stuff ........

No-one knows? Well - with exceptions like the one above, yes (sort of).

So you think there is a version of Brexit in which outward and inward free movement is retained which Johnson, Farage, Rees Mogg and their followers will be happy with? I genuinely hope you are right.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So you think there is a version of Brexit in which outward and inward free movement is retained which Johnson, Farage, Rees Mogg and their followers will be happy with? I genuinely hope you are right.

I don't know, but you obviously seem to think you do.

Basically your problem then.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

Just walking past. Sorry to butt in.

There are many uncertainties about life after Brexit and I have never believed that economic calamity will result - more likely is a slow relative economic decline partly obscured by rising levels of debt - but if you genuinely feel that there is any doubt that our rights as Britons to live, study, work and retire across Europe as citizens of a greater world will not be seriously affected by this adventure then I can only say that it goes some way to explain your enthusiasm for it

What is the lowest civilian honour that the monarch could grant, MBE/OBE ? Give him one of those. Actually perhaps not because I believe that they are given to those who selflessly do things to help others without thought of personal gain or glory.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

If you don't know, then you are one of a very small elite group on NSC.

Everyone else on here who voted leave apparently knew exactly what they were voting for :wink:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I see Farage was right about the French GDP not passing ours,although India did.Perhaps the French labour unrest had something to do with it?If France follows Germany into decline then that's the EU down the pan,also as predicted by the great man.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
What is the lowest civilian honour that the monarch could grant, MBE/OBE ? Give him one of those. Actually perhaps not because I believe that they are given to those who selflessly do things to help others without thought of personal gain or glory.
Years back, I did an OU science course, it covered Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Earth Science ( Geology +). I went to various lectures and a summer school and it was good fun. The husband of the Chemistry professor who was my course tutor was recommended for a MBE by his colleagues, he had spent 40 odd years teaching Chemistry full-time and evening classes and OU students as well. He never realised how loved and respected he was by fellow staff and students and, when, out of the blue, he was awarded an MBE, apparently he was in tears.

This is the true meaning and reason for these rewards. Someone genuine and caring who has devoted their life to educating, helping, informing and supporting others. A thoroughly deserved award.... Nigel Farage? not fit to lace his boots.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Years back, I did an OU science course, it covered Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Earth Science ( Geology +). I went to various lectures and a summer school and it was good fun. The husband of the Chemistry professor who was my course tutor was recommended for a MBE by his colleagues, he had spent 40 odd years teaching Chemistry full-time and evening classes and OU students as well. He never realised how loved and respected he was by fellow staff and students and, when, out of the blue, he was awarded an MBE, apparently he was in tears.

This is the true meaning and reason for these rewards
. Someone genuine and caring who has devoted their life to educating, helping, informing and supporting others. A thoroughly deserved award.... Nigel Farage? not fit to lace his boots.

Absolutely agree; here the 'unlooked for' reward was for lifelong commitment to public service and that is what makes it special and richly deserved.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

This is the true meaning and reason for these rewards. Someone genuine and caring who has devoted their life to educating, helping, informing and supporting others. A thoroughly deserved award.... Nigel Farage? not fit to lace his boots.

But this is a post truth. post shame Britain. Trust me, I think he’s in with a serious shout

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here