Should NATO get involved with troops and planes in Ukraine

• Sadly yes

Votes: 66 21.0%
  • No way

Votes: 248 79.0%

• Total voters

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Sadly I agree. We shouldn't be allowing civilians to be slaughtered.

I get the risks but we can't let a modern day Hitler have his way.

I also think NATO are being too nervous. Given Russian forces are mainly young conscripts and haven't been able the break either the Ukrainian forces or even the civilians it would suggest a few battalions of US, UK and French combat troops - Marines, Paras and Special Forces, wouldn't have an issue. All battle hardened from Afgan, Iraq and, for the French, Africa.

I find incomprehensable that we can allow the slaughter to continue.

Young conscripts or battle hardened combat troops don't come into the equation if Putin hits the button. Totally irrelevant.

Giving Putin the excuse to push the button would almost certainly result in a widespread nuclear conflict. Yes, the West would probably "win" but at what cost?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It doesn't really matter either way does it? The outcome is the same, we're ****ed.

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Sadly we need more time to prepare for a war against Putin...now is not the time...but it won't be that far away

I imagine you are a fair bit behind what would have been going on out there? Nato will have forces ready to go.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
We’ve let the slaughter continue in Syria, Yemen and Palestine. The time to do something passed in 2014, unfortunately too many Western politicians had their hands in Putins pocket.
Putin has shown he is not mentally stable, and his country has 5,000 nukes. Personally, I don’t want us to give him the excuse to use them. It would mean the end of Earth as a ‘live’ planet.
I don’t know if people don’t know how bad a nuclear war would be.

The living would envy the dead.

Totally agree.

Re bolded - If they don't, they want to watch Threads or watch/read When The Wind Blows. They will focus the mind.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

I also think NATO are being too nervous. Given Russian forces are mainly young conscripts and haven't been able the break either the Ukrainian forces or even the civilians it would suggest a few battalions of US, UK and French combat troops - Marines, Paras and Special Forces, wouldn't have an issue. All battle hardened from Afgan, Iraq and, for the French, Africa.

Regrettably I agree with you, he has to be taught a lesson otherwise he won’t stop all the trine the good guys are afraid of the bigger picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
We let Russia break the 1994 Budapest Memorandum in 2014, did almost nothing and send Gareth's boys to Russia in 2018

Too late now NO

But if they venture onto NATO soil we've got a real problem

Biden made a strategic mistake saying no boots on the ground, that has played in Putins hands

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's simple really. Ukraine is not a NATO country, it is not even an EU country. However, it does have 45 million people that we can arm if we choose to.

Furthermore, Putin is not acting rationally, and the likelihood is he will interpret NATO planes and troops on the ground as an act of war, which will escalate the conflict to another level.

We have to hope that the Russians people themselves will get him to alter his course.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
NATO may have smarter tech and personal, but what happens when Russia respond with Nukes?

NSC will be full of 'Can we get a refund on our season ticket ?'

Then it will go quiet for a few hundred years.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Totally agree.

Re bolded - If they don't, they want to watch Threads or watch/read When The Wind Blows. They will focus the mind.

I know it’s proper shit but what your saying is that Putin can run around and do what he likes slaughtering innocent civilians without fear because we are worried about him using nukes ?

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
In an ideal world, yes, but it would lead to a WW3 nuclear war

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I know it’s proper shit but what your saying is that Putin can run around and do what he likes slaughtering innocent civilians without fear because we are worried about him using nukes ?

That is exactly the scenario at present.

War is a crude calculation. An appalling, horrifying, crude calculation.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
In an ideal world, yes, but it would lead to a WW3 nuclear war

Which is the issue. If Russia wasn’t sitting on 5 thousand plus of nuclear weapons we would have been in there by now putting an end to this. As it is they do and that is just what we know of. Plus he is clearly losing the plot a bit and is stupid enough to hit the switch

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
No No No. Life is cheap for the Russians and Putin will just throw unimaginable numbers of canon fodder at Ukraine and anyone else who gets in the way, just like Stalin did at Hitler, and irrespective of the mortality rate until he gets really pissed off and then he'll just start nuking, localised to start with and then taking out whole countries. And anyone who doesn't understand this really needs to get their head fixed.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon

Living in cloud cuckoo land there I'm afraid.
Completely different scenario to Afghan and Iraq.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
It’s a decision I’m glad I’m not responsible for making. My personal thoughts are yes, we should do this now while he has poorly maintained kit and fragile supply lines.

Based on what I’ve seen of Russian kit so far, it’s likely that a significant number of his nukes would fail to launch or blow up in their silos without going anywhere.

Doesn’t make nuclear war any less of an utterly horrifying possibility, but I honestly haven’t seen a cogent argument on how waiting will make things any better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here