• Unsure

Votes: 14 11.0%
  • Rather have ernest at left back

Votes: 9 7.1%

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
One thing Kerry never does is hide, although sometimes when he's having a 'mare I wish he would :lolol: That is a great quality, especially in a side of youngsters where they can go missing if it's getting tough and they're cocking up. However my one really big reservation about Kerry is how he gets skinned for pace, positional sense is gonna do bugger all if the guy knocks the ball round him and outsprints him. Starting to happen way too often in the games I've seen recently.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
The Large One said:
Fooled?

Yes, I suppose they have all been quite gullible. :rolleyes:

Al, fair play to you for your unstinting loyalty to Kerry, but there comes a time at a club our size when you just cant accomodate passengers anymore, he made just as many mistakes last season as any of our younger players would have if they had been elivated to that position (I'm talking about Sam Rents) and his lack of pace is almost embarrasing.

I'd like my memories of Kerry Mayo not to be hearing a tirade of abuse on his 8 or 9 first team starts, but for the commitment and ability he showed in his younger days.

Its time to move him on, our resources for next season are going to be tight, and fresh faces are what many tired Withdean warriors want to see, not a guy who is out of his depth for more than 40% of game.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Rougvie said:
Al, fair play to you for your unstinting loyalty to Kerry, but there comes a time at a club our size when you just cant accomodate passengers anymore, he made just as many mistakes last season as any of our younger players would have if they had been elivated to that position (I'm talking about Sam Rents) and his lack of pace is almost embarrasing.

I'd like my memories of Kerry Mayo not to be hearing a tirade of abuse on his 8 or 9 first team starts, but for the commitment and ability he showed in his younger days.

Its time to move him on, our resources for next season are going to be tight, and fresh faces are what many tired Withdean warriors want to see, not a guy who is out of his depth for more than 40% of game.
I respect your opinion, Paul. I rate Kerry higher than you do, that much is evident.

And anyone who abuses a player, as has been established on here, is often regarded as 'out of order'. If the manager feels they're good enough for the stripes, we have little choice but to support it.

But this is all a side issue. The important, in fact the over-riding point is that the club are UNDER AN OLBIGATION to offer him a contract. It's as simple as that. So the original question on this thread is merely hypothetical.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The Large One said:
I respect your opinion, Paul. I rate Kerry higher than you do, that much is evident.

And anyone who abuses a player, as has been established on here, is often regarded as 'out of order'. If the manager feels they're good enough for the stripes, we have little choice but to support it.

But this is all a side issue. The important, in fact the over-riding point is that the club are UNDER AN OLBIGATION to offer him a contract. It's as simple as that. So the original question on this thread is merely hypothetical.

Is it wise as a poor club to offer such deals?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Rougvie said:
Not strictly true tho, if its the same as previous 'performance related' contracts the club can get out of it.

It's appearances related not performance related. If the manager picks him for the team enough times then he gets an extension.
Perhaps you should all save your moans for Wilkins for selecting him?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yorkie said:
It's appearances related not performance related. If the manager picks him for the team enough times then he gets an extension.
Perhaps you should all save your moans for Wilkins for selecting him?

Or for the fcukwit who gave him his current deal... DK?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
I have absolutely no idea.

BTW are you coming in tomorrow?

The simple answer to that simple question was "NO"

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
B.W. said:
Or for the fcukwit who gave him his current deal... DK?

Leaving aside your opinion of Knight, Wilkins didn't have to select him. He could have left him in the reserves.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yorkie said:
Leaving aside your opinion of Knight, Wilkins didn't have to select him. He could have left him in the reserves.

Firstly, I put a question mark after 'DK'... but, let's be honest, he does meddle far too much in squad matters...

Secondly, I DO blame Wendy for playing Kerry far too often last season... especially when he dropped Rents after he had played well in the previous game...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
B.W. said:
Firstly, I put a question mark after 'DK'... but, let's be honest, he does meddle far too much in squad matters...

Secondly, I DO blame Wendy for playing Kerry far too often last season... especially when he dropped Rents after he had played well in the previous game...

We dont know how many games it was, it could have been 10

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Kinky Gerbils said:
We dont know how many games it was, it could have been 10

I think (and it just from deductions) that it was half the games in a season.
The reason I deduced that was from talking to Gary Hart who said at the dinner that he needed two more games to qualify. He had played 21 up to that point. Then he was on the bench at Tranmere (coming on) and then started the Bradford game. When I spoke to him at the reserves he said he wasn't sure if coming off the bench counted. (it was immaterial anyway as he started at Cheltenham)

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
With Mayo the answer is Yes and No. Yes he should be released, no he shouldn't be given a new contract.

I think some people confuse defending Mayo's performances as part of their duty as a fan. The quality of the squad is the most important thing.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So do Hart and Mayo contracts run forever on these appearance clauses ?

Therefore is there any mitigation if they get a long-term injury ?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Les Biehn said:
With Mayo the answer is Yes and No. Yes he should be released, no he shouldn't be given a new contract.

I think some people confuse defending Mayo's performances as part of their duty as a fan. The quality of the squad is the most important thing.

You haven't read the thread. If he is released then he can sue the club for breach of contract. It is appearance related not performance related.
I don't have a duty as a fan. I have an opinion. It may differ from yours but that doesn't make me right or wrong.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Beach Hut said:
So do Hart and Mayo contracts run forever on these appearance clauses ?

Therefore is there any mitigation if they get a long-term injury ?

All players with long term injury are given the chance to get fit again unless like Roberts, Blackwell and Rodgers, they can't reach that and retire. Kuipers was given another contract whilst recovering from his torn shoulder.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here