Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should I be worried?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Managers achieving such success are two a penny, eh? And yet, you can't name another one or team that achieved it.

I think this was much the attitude Gus had when he left. We may have had a wobble since but we are back in better shape than when he left us, you understimate Tony Bloom if you think none of this would have happened without Poyet.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think this was much the attitude Gus had when he left. We may have had a wobble since but we are back in better shape than when he left us, you understimate Tony Bloom if you think none of this would have happened without Poyet.

Tony has learned as he went along. I give you Hyppia. I don't think that Oscar was particularly successful tbh.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I've got hope and a little bit of belief. If it purely depended on skill, I think we could do it, but football is never straightforward. Deflections, own goals, refereeing decisions, and plain bad luck also come into it.

When we won at the Millenium, we were the worst team in the playoffs. McGhee himself, said he was a lucky manager.

We are talking about a team that is tied on 87 points with 2 other teams aren't we?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Let's not forget, we played some great football under Gus. However, as soon as Reading, (effin' READING) fluttered their eyelashes in his direction, even though they were almost relegated & we were on a promotion run, he was off & running. He deemed READING a better club to be at than us.

READING!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Let's not forget, we played some great football under Gus. However, as soon as Reading, (effin' READING) fluttered their eyelashes in his direction, even though they were almost relegated & we were on a promotion run, he was off & running. He deemed READING a better club to be at than us.

READING!

He turned Reading & Wolves down. Tanno said so in a match preview on Player.

It was rumoured he was talking to Fulham

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
He turned Reading & Wolves down. Tanno said so in a match preview on Player.

It was rumoured he was talking to Fulham

My point being that he went to talk to them in the first place, with the great position we were in at the time. I'll never forget the interview with him after we'd just destroyed Blackpool, I think 6-0. As soon as the interviewer asked him what he thought of Reading's interest in him, his eyes lit up, "tell me more, I haven't heard".
I think the fact that he asked to talk to Reading, (at the time doomed to relegation from the PL, but their cash "ceiling" was high) at such a crucial point in our season was the beginning of the end between him & TB.

Then of the course there is the whole can of worms about the rumoured team talk at HT in the home play off SF vs Palace. Words to the effect of, "I won't be here next season anyway". Of course, just a rumour.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My point being that he went to talk to them in the first place, with the great position we were in at the time. I'll never forget the interview with him after we'd just destroyed Blackpool, I think 6-0. As soon as the interviewer asked him what he thought of Reading's interest in him, his eyes lit up, "tell me more, I haven't heard".
I think the fact that he asked to talk to Reading, (at the time doomed to relegation from the PL, but their cash "ceiling" was high) at such a crucial point in our season was the beginning of the end between him & TB.

Then of the course there is the whole can of worms about the rumoured team talk at HT in the home play off SF vs Palace. Words to the effect of, "I won't be here next season anyway". Of course, just a rumour.

Reading asked Tony Bloom for permission to talk, which was given. Things had broken down long before that.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Tony has learned as he went along. I give you Hyppia. I don't think that Oscar was particularly successful tbh.

To be contrary, I thought Oscar's one season at the Amex was better than any of Gus's.

Poyet had a settled team, mainly recruited by him and honed to play his way - he was also pretty lucky with injuries. Oscar came in late, had virtually no pre-season and had no hand in any recruitment. He was hammered by injuries, had Barnes sold against his wishes,and had Bridcutt sulk like Achilles until he got his transfer. Despite all this, he finished only just lower than Gus's best performance.

This season has clearly surpassed his performance but don't think what he did should be dismissed so readily

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
To be contrary, I thought Oscar's one season at the Amex was better than any of Gus's.

Poyet had a settled team, mainly recruited by him and honed to play his way - he was also pretty lucky with injuries. Oscar came in late, had virtually no pre-season and had no hand in any recruitment. He was hammered by injuries, had Barnes sold against his wishes,and had Bridcutt sulk like Achilles until he got his transfer. Despite all this, he finished only just lower than Gus's best performance.

This season has clearly surpassed his performance but don't think what he did should be dismissed so readily

I didn't like the football with Oscar. I was bored to tears most of the time. There were times when I really didn't want to go to matches.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Apart from the League Cup.

Beating a piss poor Cheltenham team, getting played of the park by Swindon, deafeating L2 Burton before surrendering meekly at Spuds. Wish I'd bought the DVD now before they all sold out. No one gives a f*ck about that competition.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Beating a piss poor Cheltenham team, getting played of the park by Swindon, deafeating L2 Burton before surrendering meekly at Spuds. Wish I'd bought the DVD now before they all sold out. No one gives a f*ck about that competition.

We still went further than the first round, which was better than most previous managers for quite a while.
Maybe we should have a tongue in cheek smiley.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Gus said he'd hit the ceiling with the Albion re budget and I see exactly the same issue with Ipswich. Without parachute payments he'd take them into the play-offs but no further.

I would have thought someone like Norwich would be a much better fit for Gus than Ipswich, i.e a bit of cash to spend, a strong base from which to bounce back.

In the final analysis one thing is certain - give me Hughton over Gus EVERY day of the week.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
There you have it - this thread sort of proves that GP remains one of the most divisive figures in the club's recent history. Only Barnes comes close.

If he does go to Ipswich I will be watching with interest.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Reading asked Tony Bloom for permission to talk, which was given. Things had broken down long before that.

I get it; you're still a huge Gus fan. I was, I wanted him to be the messiah, but he wasn't in the end, he was a very naughty boy.
It's all about him, being in the limelight, looking for the next bigger opportunity. If only he realised that if he actually focused on the getting the job done with us then his stock would be much higher.
Do I remember him mostly for the great football we played when he was here? Unfortunately not. I remember him for causing problems at the worst possible time.
Give me CH over him all day long. A man who will do his best for the team & the CLUB. (Just one little thing Chris, more of the pressing & less of the sitting back, apart from that, I'm well happy).

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
O.P. should note that his most recent departure has something in common with his leaving here. He made noises about moving on, prior to an important game and ended up sacked.
I personally think this is his style of negotiation, what he really wants is the boss to call him up, beg him to stay and offer him a bigger pay deal.
He is a great coach and your donkey centre backs will suddenly look like they might get an international call up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here