Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should I be worried?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Expect him to take all the plaudits for the facets of the game where you improve. Things like ball retention and your centre halves playing with renewed confidence. However when you go on a bad spell thanks to a proper pony striker (recruited at great expense) and about 2 goals scored in 6 games, don't even think of criticising him as he'll threaten to walk off and play golf.

Personally I reckon you might want to steer clear. Aston Villa will have him in a year or so when they're starting in league one.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm not convinced about Poyet TBH - maybe I am wrong?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 48-year-old former Chelsea and Spurs midfielder made his intention not to sign a new contract clear ahead of the Greek Cup semi-final at the weekend and was subsequently relieved of his duties by annoyed owner Dimitris Melissanidis. While with AEK Poyet and Taricco won 18 of their 28 games in charge.

This line sums it up perfectly. He knows his onions but....

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You shouldn't be worried that he's coming (if indeed there's anything in it). He'll play excellent, if occasionally pedestrian, football, and he'll recruit largely excellent players.

Once he's there though and doing okay, THAT is when the worrying starts, because be 100% sure, working at Ipswich Town Football Club is beneath him, and he's only there to bolster his CV while he looks for a PROPER job.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Expect to sign Liam Bridcutt and Will Buckley.
Expect him to start flirting with "bigger clubs" after a few months.
Expect him to blame everybody bar him when things don't go right.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The fact that he has been sacked for gross misconduct, sacked for losing the dressing room and relieved of his duties before the end of his most recent contract should set a few alarm bells ringing. Being got shot off at every managerial job you have had is not a great endorsement.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Does anyone believe we would be where we are now without Gus?
We are a 'small' club financially compared to those with parachute payments. He came in to a third tier club playing in a park and made us what we were in 2013.
But since then we have grown. Our team now are probably 25% better than back then.
I will never have a bad word for Gus but at the same time I'm glad he went.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
We are a 'small' club financially compared to those with parachute payments. He came in to a third tier club playing in a park and made us what we were in 2013.
But since then we have grown. Our team now are probably 25% better than back then.
Absolutely we would. Tony appointed Gus and if he hadn't he would still have brought someone else in who would have taken us into the Championship.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

I may have one or two bad words to say about Gus regarding the manner of his departure, but, your point stands and is a valid one. We were rudderless when he arrived and looking completely out of sorts. He stopped the slide, turned us around and gave us a magnificent chamionship winning season. I'll be always be grateful for that. Shame the whole thing came crashing down in an unseemly fashion but in all honesty we have both survived the break up pretty well.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
You're a stepping stone to get back to England, then he will be looking at a better club within 6 months

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Expect to sign Liam Bridcutt and Will Buckley.
Expect him to start flirting with "bigger clubs" after a few months.
Expect him to blame everybody bar him when things don't go right.

Be afraid, be very afraid.
He will always have the ego to think this way,but the fact is he's unlikely to get any type of prem job unless he actually manages to get a championship club up and that's unlikely.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Absolutely we would. Tony appointed Gus and if he hadn't he would still have brought someone else in who would have taken us into the Championship.

Like Paul Ince or Jim Gannon?
Gus took us from the relegation zone in League 1 to 11th in 6 months. The following season we went top in September breaking all our previous records of weeks at number 1 spot, winning 8 games out of 8 in March 2011, and winning the title with a record 95 points.
His first season in the Championship saw us in the top ten, with a lot of League 1 players, he was saddled with because of appearance clauses which gave them another year's contract. Then he tried to get some of his own players in (succeeding with Vicente and Ulloa) but finding other blocked by Burke & Barber, but still got us to the playoffs.
Yes, it all went wrong but it took 3.5 years to go wrong. Most managerial posts last 18 months.

I'm glad we have Chris Hughton now but don't rewrite history. He made mistakes, the club made mistakes but it was fun while it lasted.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Like Paul Ince or Jim Gannon?
Gus took us from the relegation zone in League 1 to 11th in 6 months. The following season we went top in September breaking all our previous records of weeks at number 1 spot, winning 8 games out of 8 in March 2011, and winning the title with a record 95 points.
His first season in the Championship saw us in the top ten, with a lot of League 1 players, he was saddled with because of appearance clauses which gave them another year's contract. Then he tried to get some of his own players in (succeeding with Vicente and Ulloa) but finding other blocked by Burke & Barber, but still got us to the playoffs.
Yes, it all went wrong but it took 3.5 years to go wrong. Most managerial posts last 18 months.

I'm glad we have Chris Hughton now but don't rewrite history. He made mistakes, the club made mistakes but it was fun while it lasted.

What makes you think Ince or Gannon, they were DK targets weren't they?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here