Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should I be worried?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Like Paul Ince or Jim Gannon?
Gus took us from the relegation zone in League 1 to 11th in 6 months. The following season we went top in September breaking all our previous records of weeks at number 1 spot, winning 8 games out of 8 in March 2011, and winning the title with a record 95 points.
His first season in the Championship saw us in the top ten, with a lot of League 1 players, he was saddled with because of appearance clauses which gave them another year's contract. Then he tried to get some of his own players in (succeeding with Vicente and Ulloa) but finding other blocked by Burke & Barber, but still got us to the playoffs.
Yes, it all went wrong but it took 3.5 years to go wrong. Most managerial posts last 18 months.

I'm glad we have Chris Hughton now but don't rewrite history. He made mistakes, the club made mistakes but it was fun while it lasted.
Do you seriously think Tony would have let us bobble around in League 1 for 5 seasons ? ???

No, someone who could have taken us up would have been appointed.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Absolutely we would. Tony appointed Gus and if he hadn't he would still have brought someone else in who would have taken us into the Championship.

Yes, because taking us from the relegation zone to winning the League in less than 18 months was a FORMALITY wasn't it. My mum could've done that.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes, because taking us from the relegation zone to winning the League in less than 18 months was a FORMALITY wasn't it. My mum could've done that.

You are Geoffrey Boycott, and I claim my POUND*.

*No way are you giving up FIVE, you tight Yorkshire get.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What does this mean ? Have you replied to the correct thread ?

Tony sacked Slade pretty quickly when it appeared we weren't progressing, and he hadn't been chairman that long.

The right man was appointed. Tony & Gus did well.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Some things money can't buy, football isn't one of them. Portman Road and Gus Poyet.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
OK, well if you don't think we would have been promoted from League 1 in the last 5 seasons with a different manager or managers, I'll just strongly disagree.

Name me one other team who went from the relegation zone in League 1 to the title in the next season, at any time.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Name me one other team who went from the relegation zone in League 1 to the title in the next season, at any time.
That's got nothing to do with my point.

My point is simply that within 5 seasons another manager would have got us promoted from League 1.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That's got nothing to do with my point.

My point is simply that within 5 seasons another manager would have got us promoted from League 1.

Managers achieving such success are two a penny, eh? And yet, you can't name another one or team that achieved it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Where's your belief man !!!!!

I've got hope and a little bit of belief. If it purely depended on skill, I think we could do it, but football is never straightforward. Deflections, own goals, refereeing decisions, and plain bad luck also come into it.

When we won at the Millenium, we were the worst team in the playoffs. McGhee himself, said he was a lucky manager.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Managers achieving such success are two a penny, eh? And yet, you can't name another one or team that achieved it.
You are continually missing my point.

My point is that with Tony's backing another manager would have got us promoted from League 1 within 5 seasons.

I can be no clearer than that, and yet you keep trying to turn my simple point into something different.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here