Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Should Abramovich be thrown out of football

Should Abramovich be thrown out of English football ?

• Yes

Votes: 141 71.2%
  • No

Votes: 57 28.8%

• Total voters

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Give ownership of the club to a charity before it's taken away from him ......then....... When it all blows over , quietly take it back.

W@nker

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
No. He's just an easy target yet he hasn't invaded Russia and he's not in the Russian government. His daughter posted something anti-Putin on twitter apparently.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
No. He's just an easy target yet he hasn't invaded Russia and he's not in the Russian government. His daughter posted something anti-Putin on twitter apparently.

He’s a multi-billionaire who made his money raping the country and stealing it’s assets during and after the collapse of the USSR. He maintained his status by not criticising Putin and thus, by default, gave him his backing - he may well have done this to ensure he kept his vast fortune, but he did it all the same. He is part of the problem.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
He’s a multi-billionaire who made his money raping the country and stealing it’s assets during and after the collapse of the USSR. He maintained his status by not criticising Putin and thus, by default, gave him his backing - he may well have done this to ensure he kept his vast fortune, but he did it all the same. He is part of the problem.

I know full well who and what he is but in my opinion none of that makes the invasion of Ukraine his responsibility.
When non-Russians are publicly out to get him no matter what, why would he make enemies in Russia too?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I know full well who and what he is but in my opinion none of that makes the invasion of Ukraine his responsibility.
When non-Russians are publicly out to get him no matter what, why would he make enemies in Russia too?

Unfortunately the result of sanctions is that ordinary Russians also pay a price, but it is a price inflicted without entering the conflict. The Russian people or Abramovich aren't directly responsible for Ukraine's invasion, but the leader of their nation and his generals are. This is about creating political diplomatic pressure that enough people say 'is this worth it?' and undermines Putin's credibility and power base. Abramovich and the other oligarch's who benefitted from the collapse of the Soviet Union and staying in the shadows supporting this leader need to pay their fair share of pain in this. They don't need to have direct responsibility to pay a price in what their nation is doing.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells

Mate, unfortunately for him he is complicit in it. His ties to the Kremlin make it so. He may well not have anything personally to do with the invasion, but that really is not the point.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
I think the point has been lost and it's just that Britain wants to get one over a super rich Russian, him being the easiest one. My view is of course not a popular one here but I'm answering my view honestly, more from the outside looking in without the British press constantly in my face telling me what to think about him.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I think the point has been lost and it's just that Britain wants to get one over a super rich Russian, him being the easiest one. My view is of course not a popular one here but I'm answering my view honestly, more from the outside looking in without the British press constantly in my face telling me what to think about him.

I suppose if you just say 'it's all one man's fault, his alone and everyone else in that country can carry on as normal' then there isn't going to be any pressure to change that 'one man'.

I agree with you that Abramovich is being especially targeted because he's the only Russian with interests in the UK that any of us know about, but at the same time that's exactly why he should be targeted, because public opinion matters and examples should be made.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Abramovic supporting the cease fire negotiations at request of Ukraine according to Sky News.

https://news.sky.com/story/roman-ab...n-to-ukraine-invasion-spokesman-says-12553990

Totally meaningless statement. And where's the proof that he's actively doing anything? At this early stage however rich he is he's not going to raise his head above the parapet and be seen to criticise or doubt Putin's actions.

When the the economic sanctions really start to kick in with all the other Russian oligarchs then we may see some genuine steps.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Abramovich has a clear personal incentive to help broker a resolution.

I am no apologist for the guy and his extremely dubious persona, but I do recall he was very close to, and facilitated, the Chelsea career of Ukrainian legend Andriy Shevchenko.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I am no apologist for the guy and his extremely dubious persona, but I do recall he was very close to, and facilitated, the Chelsea career of Ukrainian legend Andriy Shevchenko.

Dammed if he doesn’t do anything..dammed if he does

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Chelsea should be closed down straight away. No other reason other than I can't stand them.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Totally meaningless statement. And where's the proof that he's actively doing anything? At this early stage however rich he is he's not going to raise his head above the parapet and be seen to criticise or doubt Putin's actions.

When the the economic sanctions really start to kick in with all the other Russian oligarchs then we may see some genuine steps.

I'm with [MENTION=3018]Peter Grummit[/MENTION]t on this. It's a very clever move from Ukraine to try and bring him into the process, because:
-- he's associated with Putin, and perhaps even has regular access to him
-- and will be starkly aware of the levels of hostility to this horrendous aggrandising declaration of war by Putin, which reveals his despicable disdain for human life.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I don’t think anyone has ever claimed that Abramovich or even Putin dislikes Ukrainians. The latter (at least) just thinks they are Russians and I’m sure would be happy to take the reflected glory of Shevchenko’s career.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60552754

Sometimes the peace process involves 'dubious' people. Needs must. I hope he can help.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If it is true (which is hard to tell since truth is the first casualty of war), it is great. Not many powerful people wants peace in Ukraine.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
If it is true (which is hard to tell since truth is the first casualty of war), it is great. Not many powerful people wants peace in Ukraine.

His business interests are obviously being impacted. He's in natural resources, not weaponry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here