Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Shops re-open on Monday - are you up for it?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
All of the "wait for the spike in two weeks" events were outdoors in good weather. All suggestions are that the virus struggles to persist outdoors and it's also less easily spread in open air.

In the US where, in some cases, you'd think life had returned to normal with almost everything open, many states are seeing soaring infection rates now, and there has to be some connection to increased social interactions indoors >>> https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/13/politics/pence-coronavirus-hospitalizations/index.html

Yet no face coverings required in shops, not even advisory, this is in my opinion reckless

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
In general I try to avoid the centre of Brighton / shopping malls etc, but even if I were so inclined I think I might leave it until the 2m restriction etc. is scrapped. Which can't be too long away- a couple of weeks? Same for the interior of pubs / restaurants / cafes. Too much hassle with the measures currently in place. Outdoor seating likely to be fine, but for indoors to work the 2m / screens etc. will have to go.

I see flights, and all public transport, have no physical distancing rules, just a requirement for masks. Seems like a pragmatic solution.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Someone on the radio called in and suggested it was people shopping for their kids who now have to go to school and have grown out of all their clothes in the last 3 months...................

I'm actually going to a couple of shops today......need a camera repaired, and to get some fishing tackle/bait. Essentials only !

Bobkin Jnr has grown out of two pairs of trainers bought six weeks ago, so... :shrug:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Sports Direct - Worthing today

[tweet]1272460576481062919[/tweet]

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I'm actually gobsmacked at that photo , what could be so important to risk your health for in a clothes shop ffs .

Yes utter madness. I've been having a long hard think to try imagine what could possibly have happened to these people in the last three months to mean they have an absolute emergency requirement to be first in that shop today. Surely all the tat that Nike sell there is available online at hundreds of different retailers?? I just don't get it...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Sports direct has always confused me, it’s not even cheap. Stuff that is normally cheap is cheap and the usual popular brands are still well overpriced. Plus I wouldn’t buy anything in there given it’s owned by that t*at mike Ashley.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Yes utter madness. I've been having a long hard think to try imagine what could possibly have happened to these people in the last three months to mean they have an absolute emergency requirement to be first in that shop today. Surely all the tat that Nike sell there is available online at hundreds of different retailers?? I just don't get it...

The more people get out and consume the fewer jobs lost and the less of an impact the country (mental health etc). I am encouraged by this

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
The more people get out and consume the fewer jobs lost and the less of an impact the country (mental health etc). I am encouraged by this

Tend to agree - social distancing has practically been ignored in the last couple of weeks with the crowds on the beaches, protests and other large gatherings that people massing to get in to stores is hardly a surprise. Personally I am in no hurry to go shopping but scenes like those pictured are not really a surprise. Suspect in 3 weeks time the 'official' distance will be reduced to 1 metre so other than far more hand washing and sanitising become more common place, things will slowly start to return to some degree of normality.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Tend to agree - social distancing has practically been ignored in the last couple of weeks with the crowds on the beaches, protests and other large gatherings that people massing to get in to stores is hardly a surprise. Personally I am in no hurry to go shopping but scenes like those pictured are not really a surprise. Suspect in 3 weeks time the 'official' distance will be reduced to 1 metre so other than far more hand washing and sanitising become more common place, things will slowly start to return to some degree of normality.

Let’s hope so. We saw many people lockdown before the official govt lockdown, and likewise we have seen many come out of quicker. We know lots more about it now, and those in the vulnerable groupings will seek to protect themselves

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007

Yes I agree. The madness I was referring to was not COVID related. I am completely at comfort with the need to accept an element of risk now, for the sake of getting back to normality.

I am more concerned at the mentality of people who would want to queue for any shop in a non-sale environment (even then, would never do so myself), let alone one where the products are freely available online.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
People queuing for Primark in Brighton from 3am... according to the Argus

[tweet]1272475254494056449[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here