Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Shops re-open on Monday - are you up for it?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Wait until the pubs reopen, it will be like New Years Eve 1999...

That didn't happen here as you had to have a meal with your drink, be seated and numbers were limited to 50, only small venues bothered to open.
After 2 weeks of that they increase to numbers to 100 and we didn't have to have a meal, which was ok and now I would say it was almost back to normal.
Pubs were not mobbed and all seemed well, you get the impression that most here are just over it and going about their business.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
That didn't happen here as you had to have a meal with your drink, be seated and numbers were limited to 50, only small venues bothered to open.
After 2 weeks of that they increase to numbers to 100 and we didn't have to have a meal, which was ok and now I would say it was almost back to normal.
Pubs were not mobbed and all seemed well, you get the impression that most here are just over it and going about their business.

Didn't realise Australians could be so sensible... that certainly sounds the way to go, but I guess will be a problem for establishments that don't do food, unless a packet of crisps and a pickled egg count!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Didn't realise Australians could be so sensible... that certainly sounds the way to go, but I guess will be a problem for establishments that don't do food, unless a packet of crisps and a pickled egg count!

Served on a dish with a serviette, knife and fork.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

A mate of mine lives in Melbourne and said people there are saving 7/8 chips on a plate so they 'qualify' to get another pint.

Barman, please bring me a plate of chips, but bring me one chip every 12 minutes so I can stay here for 5 hours.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Evidently massive queues outside Primark's stores - how stupid are people?

I expect people miss rummaging through second hand underwear , the thrill of finding a pair of bloomers in pink/salmon , and almost the right size is quite intoxicating , so a friend told me :whistle:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
A mate of mine lives in Melbourne and said people there are saving 7/8 chips on a plate so they 'qualify' to get another pint.

Barman, please bring me a plate of chips, but bring me one chip every 12 minutes so I can stay here for 5 hours.

Yep, there was a bit of that going on, bar snacks like crisps etc. were not for sale, it had to be off the menu.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

That's far too comprehensible to be believable as really coming from an Aussie. Now if they'd said something more like this, then I'd believe it…

"Yeah mate, sling us a chippo with every stubbie so we's can grog all arvo?"

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Wait until the pubs reopen, it will be like New Years Eve 1999...

I was chatting to the landlord of my local yesterday, and he is a bit surprised the first day they will be allowed to open is a Saturday. He said he would have much preferred it to be a Monday to give them a chance to get used to all the social distancing rules, without having the pub mobbed being a Saturday. I think he makes quite a valid point.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Mate in Dubai says the same. You can have up to 2 pints in places - but you also need to order a sandwich + chips.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I have absolutely no desire to queue up to go into any shop.
Yes, we sometimes have to when going food shopping,which is ok, but to choose to go into a shop under the conditions that have been set out, no thanks, it isn't for me.
I think there may be an initial surge for certain stores, but I reckon it will settle down once the addicts have had their fill. My wife loves to browse and until that is possible, she won't be going either.
As far as pubs, cafes and restaurants are concerned, a lot depends on whether the 2 metre rule is reduced to 1. Unless that happens it is going to be very tough and many will find it is not worth opening up. Again, I have no desire to spend my dosh in a pub or restaurant devoid of atmosphere. Same with hotels; we have a short break booked for the second week in December in the UK. Whether or not we go depends on whether social distancing has gone or not. Personally, I think it will still be with us, and if so, we shall postpone our break.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If people want to queue for the shops, then good luck to them – I have no issue with that at all. Personally it's not for me, but that's largely because I can't stand shopping. But there will still be the same judgemental comments that are calling people 'thick', 'sad' or 'losers' for doing something that they DO like doing, that they've not been able to do for ages.

My observations of the whole social distancing thing is that basically a lot of people can't be arsed or won't be arsed. What IS interesting is that there have been many events that have led people to cry 'SECOND WAVE' (VW Day parties, lockdown protests, packed beaches, BLM rally, whatever that thing at the weekend was in protest about, relaxed lockdown measures and probably lots more) and nothing has come of it. What's convenient now (if you look at it like that) is that because Johnson has effectively said "go out and spend money (but at a safe distance)", any spike that DOES come will be difficult to trace back because things are as back to 'normal' as they have been for ages...

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I was chatting to the landlord of my local yesterday, and he is a bit surprised the first day they will be allowed to open is a Saturday. He said he would have much preferred it to be a Monday to give them a chance to get used to all the social distancing rules, without having the pub mobbed being a Saturday. I think he makes quite a valid point.

Well, unless he has a large pub, and if the 2 metre rule hasn't been reduced to 1 metre, he won't be able to accommodate a 'mob'. Even with 1 metre, it won't be easy.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
...VW Day parties...

vwparty.jpeg

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
From the BBC sussex Facebook page :lolol: How you could ever be that desperate to go in a shop, let alone primark I really don’t know. :lolol:

FB595DC2-882B-4507-B092-3272119CB1AA.jpeg7F60BC87-9E0D-4D33-A7E7-97E57B90A36E.jpeg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If people want to queue for the shops, then good luck to them – I have no issue with that at all. Personally it's not for me, but that's largely because I can't stand shopping. But there will still be the same judgemental comments that are calling people 'thick', 'sad' or 'losers' for doing something that they DO like doing, that they've not been able to do for ages.

My observations of the whole social distancing thing is that basically a lot of people can't be arsed or won't be arsed. What IS interesting is that there have been many events that have led people to cry 'SECOND WAVE' (VW Day parties, lockdown protests, packed beaches, BLM rally, whatever that thing at the weekend was in protest about, relaxed lockdown measures and probably lots more) and nothing has come of it. What's convenient now (if you look at it like that) is that because Johnson has effectively said "go out and spend money (but at a safe distance)", any spike that DOES come will be difficult to trace back because things are as back to 'normal' as they have been for ages...

All of the "wait for the spike in two weeks" events were outdoors in good weather. All suggestions are that the virus struggles to persist outdoors and it's also less easily spread in open air.

In the US where, in some cases, you'd think life had returned to normal with almost everything open, many states are seeing soaring infection rates now, and there has to be some connection to increased social interactions indoors >>> https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/13/politics/pence-coronavirus-hospitalizations/index.html

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
From the BBC sussex Facebook page :lolol: How you could ever be that desperate to go in a shop, let alone primark I really don’t know. :lolol:

View attachment 124913View attachment 124914

Someone on the radio called in and suggested it was people shopping for their kids who now have to go to school and have grown out of all their clothes in the last 3 months...................

I'm actually going to a couple of shops today......need a camera repaired, and to get some fishing tackle/bait. Essentials only !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here