PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I think India should still be part of the Empire.

I don't, I don't believe anyone should be ruled by a foreign country they don't want to be ruled by. Ask the mothers of the disappeared in Argentina, what a great democracy their country was in those days. The main benefit of the invasion of the Falklands was the end of a right wing, undemocratic, military junta , and the restoration of democracy, with freedom of speech, and the end of government sponsored death squads

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I don't, I don't believe anyone should be ruled by a foreign country they don't want to be ruled by. Ask the mothers of the disappeared in Argentina, what a great democracy their country was in those days. The main benefit of the invasion of the Falklands was the end of a right wing, undemocratic, military junta , and the restoration of democracy, with freedom of speech, and the end of government sponsored death squads

Self governance by democracy is the minimum that all should live by. That's the reason the Falklands remains British. Ha-rah

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Self governance by democracy is the minimum that all should live by. That's the reason the Falklands remains British. Ha-rah

If that's what the Falkland islanders want, thats what they should have. I believe the Falklands war was one of our more honourable wars of our post1945 history, even though it had the unfortunate effect of saving Thatchers government,at a time when she was extremely unpopular

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
at this time of the year, all the ships that were lost in the Falklands war, RIP shipmates, gone but never forgotten.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Not sure people should be joking about that. It was going back to Argentina away from the falklands and a lot of people died when there was still a chance of a peaceful solution. Not our finest hour i would suggest, over a wind swept sheep filled couple of islands.

I'm probably asking for unwanted hassle, (if I bother to check this thread again) but this is just plain wrong.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
I'm probably asking for unwanted hassle, (if I bother to check this thread again) but this is just plain wrong.

no hassle from me smudge, I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion. be it right or wrong.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Marvellous painting. It is now thought Turner had cataracts, hence opaque nature of his oeuvre.

My choice too, especially as my Great Great Grandfather was on this ship.

Wow - amazing to have had a relative on this great ship. Not sure, but I think it is considered the nation's favourite painting. I read somewhere that Turner applied some artistic licence with the sunset, that there were in fact 2 tugs and that the masts were already down but so what? What a painting.

image.jpg

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

From what I can remember it was moving in and out of the exclusion zone, each time it get considerably closer to the task force. The final time was too close for comfort. It shouldn't be forgotten that the whilst the belgrano was old it was a f**k off of a ship and not something you'd want getting too close. Mind you the Happy H was laid down in 1945 and so wasn't a spring chicken!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not sure people should be joking about that. It was going back to Argentina away from the falklands and a lot of people died when there was still a chance of a peaceful solution. Not our finest hour i would suggest, over a wind swept sheep filled couple of islands.

this "sailing away" is horsecrap. it was an enemy warship operating around a theatre of war. one minute its bearing is away, the next it could easily be back towards. you know it was leaving the zone and not a tactical manoeuvre? no. you have a clear shot, if you're the captain of the sub what do you do? your job.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Belgrano( 2nd world war battle ship) v Nuclear submarine. I know which one i would have hoped to be on given a choice.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
this "sailing away" is horsecrap. it was an enemy warship operating around a theatre of war. one minute its bearing is away, the next it could easily be back towards. you know it was leaving the zone and not a tactical manoeuvre? no. you have a clear shot, if you're the captain of the sub what do you do? your job.
It was outside the exclusion zone that the British said would be a target, so in that sence it was sunk against the rules. The captain asked the the war office(government or whatever) what he should do ? they said sink it anyway. A bit like invade Iraq even if they dont have weapons of mass detruction anyway.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It was outside the exclusion zone that the British said would be a target, so in that sence it was sunk against the rules. The captain asked the the war office(government or whatever) what he should do ? they said sink it anyway. A bit like invade Iraq even if they dont have weapons of mass detruction anyway.

firstly, its not at all the same, secondly you've conveniently ignored that British had said operations may extend beyond the "exclusion zone". it was a threat, it was destroyed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here