Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Shemima Begum- Should she be allowed to return to the UK?

Allow Shemima Begrum back into the UK?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Possession of 1,200 images of child sexual abuse and possessing a child abuse manual.

Imprisonable up to 5 years.
Right, I could not remember what the offences were and which one of the two offenders it was so did not go in to too much detail. So my point stands, do your time, get supported rehabilitation ( monitored closely) and rebuild your life or, if you relapse, get banged up again....until such time as you are able to fully join society or you are permanently excluded from it.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I think that there should always be a penalty to pay if you have committed a crime but after that a road to redemption. The Bulger killers had their time in court and served their sentences. .one of them has had minor relapses and has been jailed again I believe while the other one has changed for the better.

So, bring her home, put her on trial, if found guilty bang her up then start the road to rehabilitation. We all make mistakes and saying that a 23 year old girl is a security risk to the UK is frankly balls.
Respectfully, you don’t know enough about the unpublished aspects of the case to come to that conclusion. If anything, the circumstantial evidence would suggest the opposite. The closed findings almost certainly tell the real story here of why UK intelligence believes she poses an actual risk. These have been seen by the government, the defence and the judiciary and not the public.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Respectfully, you don’t know enough about the unpublished aspects of the case to come to that conclusion. If anything, the circumstantial evidence would suggest the opposite. The closed findings almost certainly tell the real story here of why UK intelligence believes she poses an actual risk. These have been seen by the government, the defence and the judiciary and not the public.
Your last two sentences sum up my disquiet. We don't know how this 23 year old girl poses such great risk that she can't come back and face a trial...this sort of thing is very Russian, think Navalny, trumped up charges and hazy " evidence " . I'm quite sure that many more greater threats to our society are already walking the streets and employed as opinion journalists.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
She should stand trial for what she is accused of doing so. Everyone should have a right to a fair trial.
Yes she was a child that was trafficked, of course she should be returned and justice should be carried out.

But this government instead gets someone of colour to do the dog whistle politics and is more interested in headlines in the non-dom press.

The UK is increasingly the outlier on this across western nations. If we carry on like this we're heading to a dark place.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Your last two sentences sum up my disquiet. We don't know how this 23 year old girl poses such great risk that she can't come back and face a trial...this sort of thing is very Russian, think Navalny, trumped up charges and hazy " evidence " . I'm quite sure that many more greater threats to our society are already walking the streets and employed as opinion journalists.
Again, this is guesswork and hyperbole. What we do know is that the judiciary dismissed an appeal on this issue. Their reasons for doing so may be scrutinised in the future under FOIA requests, but for now there’s nothing more to be done.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
see my posts above 😉

I agree she should be returned for trial here BUT the idea Judges are deciding on who should have their citizenship revoked or politicians are the ones making judicial decisions is just not the case (which @Nobby Cybergoat and @clapham_gull are suggesting).

anyway - this is NSC - who cares about the facts or the actual grounds of judicial rulings - 😂

Please point me to where I've suggested that ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Come on she was a mental kid who went on a mad road trip.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Come on she was a mental kid who went on a mad road trip.
Yeah, but no…

we have all been young and dumb, we have all done things we regret on excursions with our mates…

but I don’t recall any of my mates, killing people and chopping heads off folks for shits & giggles..

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Yeah, but no…

we have all been young and dumb, we have all done things we regret on excursions with our mates…

but I don’t recall any of my mates, killing people and chopping heads off folks for shits & giggles..
You should have hung round with my mob then.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Let's look at it another way.

An individual comes to UK, commits a crime and the Government attempts to deport them.

Unfortunately their country of origin has removed their citizenship and tells the UK Government, sorry guys we've ripped up their passport they are your problem now.

That's exactly what has happened here. Imagine how we look to the outside world ?

We're only lucky some higher authority can't dish out ASBOs.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Again, this is guesswork and hyperbole. What we do know is that the judiciary dismissed an appeal on this issue. Their reasons for doing so may be scrutinised in the future under FOIA requests, but for now there’s nothing more to be done.

The appeal failed in the basis the UK Government acted within its powers. But that's all irrelevant to my central point (as well as Rees Moggs).

She's clearly committed a crime, clearly needs to go to trial and prison and monitored for years.

But she's OUR problem not the other countries that the UK Government have attempted to dump her on.

Unfortunately there is a bit of the old colonial attitude going on and the UK thought those countries would simply roll over. They didn't.

We are becoming an international embarrassment.

I can't believe anyone has fallen for this nonsense regarding her being less of a threat abroad. I suspect on balance she isn't much of a threat at all, but is being used by the Government for PR purposes.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
In 1815 the British sent Napoleon to Saint Helena to live out the rest of his days after his final defeat on the battlefield.
I believe its still its still a British dependency. Maybe an option, and I don't think she is a danger to world peace as he was at the time.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
But she's OUR problem not the other countries that the UK Government have attempted to dump her on.
Well if bringing her home isn’t an option, I’m certainly not going to going to loose any sleep over letting a Russian and Iranian backed regime like the Syrian Government keep our homegrown ISIS terrorists since it was Syrian government’s fault in the first place that ISIS even exists.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
The appeal failed in the basis the UK Government acted within its powers. But that's all irrelevant to my central point (as well as Rees Moggs).

She's clearly committed a crime, clearly needs to go to trial and prison and monitored for years.

Unfortunately there is a bit of the old colonial attitude going on and the UK thought those countries would simply roll over. They didn't.

We are becoming an international embarrassment.

I can't believe anyone has fallen for this nonsense regarding her being less of a threat abroad. I suspect on balance she isn't much of a threat at all, but is being used by the Government for PR purposes.
More than anything else, just totally agree that it’s “our problem”.

the whole thing is posturing and sabre-rattling from a feeble government Trying to look strong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here