Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Shemima Begum- Should she be allowed to return to the UK?

Allow Shemima Begrum back into the UK?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
To answer this, if she was/is to have her citizenship returned, she would be arrested and charged immediately at the border. Not too familiar with British criminal law, but I imagine it would be a life sentence, with her being constantly watched within prison to prevent radicalisation of others.
So why – at the risk of opening up a can of worms – don't they do that? She would be less of a threat then, no?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yes she should and it's probably the only thing I agree with Rees Mogg about.

She should be subject to a trial and then imprisonment if found guilty.

All the government have done is dump the issue on another country. Nothing to do with her human rights or whether she was a child.

Under the guise of "protecting us", it's a lazy cop out.

She is far less a threat this country inside a prison. The Government know that, but the "current arrangement" appeals to their core vote.

That's all.

Last edited:

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
So why – at the risk of opening up a can of worms – don't they do that? She would be less of a threat then, no?

The official reasoning is on the basis of national security advice and I'm sure the specifics will be kept secret (probably rightly so, e,g, protecting witnesses/informants). The court ruled today that the government's decision was lawful as @Zeberdi has mentioned.

The court today also had to weigh up whether the state has obligations to combat trafficking/child abuse and if that should have any influence over national security decisions. Horrible case to have to decide on.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Either way, and I see both points, I cannot see how it’s racist at all. Just because she’s of mixed race makes no difference whatsoever. She went and joined a terror group etc - colour of her skin etc makes no difference to anything for me… Not sure Isis and Siria can be compared to the French etc it’s about anti terrorism more than anything.
Neither can I - and neither, as far as I can see, did the poster you were replying to suggest it. So why bring it up? All it will lead to is some numpty coming on here to scweam 'Racism'
If she was white and from Weybridge, she'd be sent home to face justice
Bollocks.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Nobody doubts that what she did was morally reprehensible, but:
a) She was a child.
b) Hundreds of ISIS fighters have returned to this country. What about them?
c) Imagine if a French girl bombed a British city and the French turned to us and said "You can't send her here, she's not French anymore". Would we be expected to pay the £500k bill to keep her in our prisons?
Either way, and I see both points, I cannot see how it’s racist at all. Just because she’s of mixed race makes no difference whatsoever. She went and joined a terror group etc - colour of her skin makes no difference to anything for me
Neither can I - and neither, as far as I can see, did the poster you were replying to suggest it. So why bring it up? All it will lead to is some numpty coming on here to scweam 'Racism'

Bollocks.
post #5 - same poster

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Either way, and I see both points, I cannot see how it’s racist at all. Just because she’s of mixed race makes no difference whatsoever. She went and joined a terror group etc - colour of her skin makes no difference to anything for me

post #5 - same poster
Sorry - only read through post bounce threads...........

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I think she needs some time in Syria for reflection, 30 years or so would be OK by me. She might even find a new husband?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I thought was government policy now if someone was a national security risk to make them a cabinet minister
michelle-duh.gif

Dec 29, 2011
From the little I've read it seems she hasn't expressed regret and to this day still doesn't denounce ISIS ideology? If this is true it's hard to make a case to allow her back in the country if we're not legally required to. Even her uncle has supported the decision to keep her barred.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
She should stand trial for what she is accused of doing so. Everyone should have a right to a fair trial.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here