Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Shemima Begum- Should she be allowed to return to the UK?

Allow Shemima Begrum back into the UK?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
If she is indeed susceptible to suggestion, even in her older years, then off these shores might well be the best place for her.
She was already radicalised when she was arrested as a terrorist and is now in a prison camp - there would be no way she would just be allowed back without going through an intense deradicalisation programme whilst awaiting trial and is likely anyway to being incarcerated for a long time upon her return.

EDIT - however she got there and under whatever circumstances- there’s no doubt she lived the life of an ISIS bride/wife/mother - not so easy to deradicalise from that level of indoctrination and activity

My concern would be that the longer she is kept in inhumane conditions and in an appalling state of limbo, not only will that risk making her more likely to revert back to her radicalised views (if indeed she has even renounced them as she claims which I doubt) but could trigger further radicalisation of IS sympathisers already on British soil as she could become some kind of ‘martyr’ to the cause.

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
She was already radicalised when she was arrested as a terrorist and is now in a prison camp - there would be no way she would just be allowed back without going through an intense deradicalisation programme whilst awaiting trial and is likely anyway to being incarcerated for a long time upon her return.

My concern would be that the longer she is kept in inhumane conditions and in an appalling state of limbo, not only will that risk making her more likely to revert back to her radicalised views (if indeed she has even renounced them as she claims) but could trigger further radicalisation of IS sympathisers already on British soil as she could become some kind of ‘martyr’ to the cause.
Anybody who has seen the documentary would take anything she says with a grain of salt; she is very manipulative and minimises her guilt at every opportunity.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yes, I am guilty for being ‘anti-Assad’ mea culpa

The writer is not presenting a ‘narrow view’ but a sophisticated analysis of a very complex situation - ‘ Dr. Matthew Levitt is also the Fromer-Wexler senior fellow at The Washington Institute for Near East Policy. Previously, Levitt served in counterterrorism and intelligence positions with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the U.S. Treasury Department. The author of several books and many monographs, journal articles and essays, Levitt teaches at Georgetown University’s School of Foreign Service.’

Far more qualified to give an opinion than I or some ill informed blogger on a social media platform with a right-wing agenda can provide.
Well, yes, Assad isn't exactly on my Christmas card list either.

Doesn't change the fact that it's a piece written with a clear agenda.
I've highlighted some clues for you.

It's hardly rocket science.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm not really sure what pointscoring remark you are trying to make here tbh. But here's mine.

Up yours.
I asked you a simple question. It was you that replied with the point scoring attempt at wit.

Your latest response just confirms my initial impression.

Thanks.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Well, yes, Assad isn't exactly on my Christmas card list either.

Doesn't change the fact that it's a piece written with a clear agenda.
I've highlighted some clues for you.

It's hardly rocket science.
You dismissed a well researched analysis by a University Professor as an ‘anti-Assad rant’ - sounded very arrogant and your tone continues to be rude and patronising as highlighted in bold . You’ve hardly provided a well researched and qualified opinion as a rebuttal.

You are coming across as the one with an agenda on this thread.

All done here. I won’t respond to any further.

Back to thread topic.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
You dismissed a well researched analysis by a University Professor as an ‘anti-Assad rant’ - sounded very arrogant and your tone continues to be patronising. You’ve hardly provided a well researched and qualified opinion as a rebuttal.

All done here.

Back to thread topic.
As you were then. I'll leave you to it.

I've now had my suspicions confirmed, so I'm done too. :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

EDIT - however she got there and under whatever circumstances- there’s no doubt she lived the life of an ISIS bride/wife/mother - not so easy to deradicalise from that level of indoctrination and activity

My concern would be that the longer she is kept in inhumane conditions and in an appalling state of limbo, not only will that risk making her more likely to revert back to her radicalised views (if indeed she has even renounced them as she claims which I doubt) but could trigger further radicalisation of IS sympathisers already on British soil as she could become some kind of ‘martyr’ to the cause.
She's not going to inspire wannabe teenage terrorists by swanning about with her hair uncovered, and wearing skinny jeans, I would have thought.

She's a deeply uninspiring person, to be frank.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Anybody who has seen the documentary would take anything she says with a grain of salt; she is very manipulative and minimises her guilt at every opportunity.
Not just the documentary ... but really do encourage anyone that's really interested to listen to the podcast which goes into much more detail than the documentary.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't think so to be honest. It's racist dog-whistle politics from a failing government.

Another little rip in the UK's tattered reputation.
Backed by Labour.

886A5D54-2756-4E14-8906-C1816E7B1C50.png

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
She was wearing exactly this style of western attire before becoming inspired/groomed herself wasn’t she? (Although she had her head covered admittedly) because she no longer wears a jilbab and hijab and veil, surely doesn’t make her any less of a risk if she is still radicalised does it? It is not what you wear that makes you a terrorist, it’s what you believe.

Interesting take on that here

Agree that she now speaks in a very uninspiring way (maybe always did) but I wonder how much that has to do with a conscious effort to remodel herself from a willing participant in jihadi activities to an ‘innocent child victim’ of trafficking and grooming for the sake of convincing us she should be repatriated?

Let there be no doubt though that women returners are treated as presenting the same risk as men returners and much of the recruiting of women is done online where the recruiters may not even be on video/streamed.
Yes maybe. But she comes across simply as someone who isn't very bright. Someone to be used rather than someone to lead.

But as I said my main point is that, unlike Jihadi men who wear jeans, she is in serious violation of Jihadi code by dressing as she does, now, and the prospect of her inspiring or leading anything is nil. That's before any excitable 15 year old depressed Muslim female in the UK asks whether Begum has obtained the ultimate rewards in a Jihadi female universe: a husband and children.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Maybe, unlike everyone on this thread Starmer has now been privy to the security services intel on this piece of filth and happy to take a grown up view that is best for this country?
Come on, everyone knows by now that public figures, especially those in politics, changing their minds on things is tantamount to heresy. Once you have stated an opinion on something then that's it, no amount of evidence or changing of circumstances is ever allowed to sway your opinion, that is set in stone forever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here