Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shaving

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Anyone else able to use a "disposable" razor for an inordinate length of time...?

I reckon I've done a daily beard/tache shave for about 6 months on a Fusion.

Involves a bit of scraping away but gets the job done and my skin seems to take it. Quite funny when I get a new one and it feels like some sort of science fiction wonder gadget in its efficiency... :)

lol Yeah I know what you mean, a new blade feels wonderful against the skin. I can probably manage a couple of months on one blade, but not much more.

The problem with new blades is, that they are very expensive.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If possible, shave in the sauna after a game of squash (other racquet sports are available) as per the old days at Corals. Opens the skin pores for a much closer shave.

Additionally, a large sambuca on the coals is refreshing.

Aside from this, love my Gillette Mach3 Turbo.

Old days at Corals....???

to this day you can still get in that sauna with both men and women having a shave.......:eek:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Anyone else able to use a "disposable" razor for an inordinate length of time...?

I reckon I've done a daily beard/tache shave for about 6 months on a Fusion.

Involves a bit of scraping away but gets the job done and my skin seems to take it. Quite funny when I get a new one and it feels like some sort of science fiction wonder gadget in its efficiency... :)

Yeah same here.. Had a Fusion for years and years. I wouldn't say I get 6 months on a single blade though.
I probably get 2 - 3 months per blade.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have a few once a week shaves, and get bored.
Grow a beard, then get my hair cut and ask her to go round my face with the clippers.

The only downside is having to sit there for 5 minutes while she runs through all the permutations of facial hair, mutton chops, goatee, gringo etc..
I can't believe how bored someone must be to make them want to arse about with my face!!

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I bought my oldman this 'cut throat' razor for Christmas. It should last for life too, you just need to change the blades.

Also I actually found the razor and the blades about £10-£15 cheaper elsewhere online and they matched the price, so they seem a great company to deal with.

https://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/product.cfm/product_ID/5304/brand_ID/281

Blades

https://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/product.cfm/product_ID/5256/brand_ID/281

Personally though I get my barber to do my beard/stubble so I dont need a razor haha

Last edited:

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
Top tip for a silky smooth chin is to use the old ladies hair conditioner rather than shaving creams and foams, It works a blinder. I use to hack myself to bits on my neck, even with a new blade, but using conditioner (even cheap stuff) is really good.

Give it a go next time you have a shave :thumbsup:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I switched to a double edge safety razor a few months ago and it gives the best shave I've ever had with no razor burn. I sometimes us an old fashioned straight razor too.
For shaving soap I get arko from amazon or ebay for about £1.50 a stick, it's unperfumed, lasts for months & lathers up well with a decent brush.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Learnt this from a Turkish barber.

Arko shaving sticks, you can get them on line.

A good shaving brush and spend some time brushing the skin.

Shave twice if you have too.
Then rub Nivia cream , the blue bowls that the ladies use into your skin.

Very smooth chin will be the result.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I've finally found some razor blades that don't give me a horrible rash after although I still manage to draw a bit of blood each time.

For around £15, Wilkinson Sword Hydro 3 are the best around that give a smooth and comfortable shave. I get a pack of eight and only need to shave every four to five days which is enough if you've got sensitive skin.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
After years of Gillette I've switched to The Bearded Colonel https://beardedcolonel.co.uk Seems very good. I should refer each of you so I can get a fiver for every one who subscribes...

The blades are very good.

Jul 7, 2003
After years of Gillette I've switched to The Bearded Colonel https://beardedcolonel.co.uk Seems very good. I should refer each of you so I can get a fiver for every one who subscribes...

The blades are very good.

I saw them advertised a few weeks ago but didn't know anyone who used them. What is the handle like - I hate the really lightweight handles like the King of Shaves ones?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
If possible, shave in the sauna after a game of squash (other racquet sports are available) as per the old days at Corals. Opens the skin pores for a much closer shave.

Additionally, a large sambuca on the coals is refreshing.

Aside from this, love my Gillette Mach3 Turbo.

My Wilkinson Sword works fine for me.
But regarding the open pores shave, treat yourself to a hot towel shave down the barbers, very nice and relaxing.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'm finding it a little odd that some posts on here are seeming to say that shaving is almost a pleasant experience.

Part of the reason that I'm one of the bearded (now) masses (bloody hipsters) is that I simply can't be bothered with the tiresome chore of sorting it all out a few times a week. It's not something I ever enjoyed doing...

Is this unusual?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'm finding it a little odd that some posts on here are seeming to say that shaving is almost a pleasant experience.

Part of the reason that I'm one of the bearded (now) masses (bloody hipsters) is that I simply can't be bothered with the tiresome chore of sorting it all out a few times a week. It's not something I ever enjoyed doing...

Is this unusual?

Well, only speaking personally you understand, if it was left to me, I would have a beard as long as Nostradamus, because shaving isn't my idea of fun either.

However, the wife thinks rather differently, and as my middle name is Wimp. I just go with the flow.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Well, only speaking personally you understand, if it was left to me, I would have a beard as long as Nostradamus, because shaving isn't my idea of fun either.

However, the wife thinks rather differently, and as my middle name is Wimp. I just go with the flow.

You have my sympathies.

Happily, very few people (including Lady GFH) remember what I look like clean shaven so it'd be weirder for all concerned if I did shave. Good times!

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Swerve razors that have lubrastrips on them
They serve no purpose and yet razor sections are full of them
Never had a decent shave with them (and they dont last 5mins) but sometimes you have no choice as only ones left on the shelf to buy and end up regretting them each time

D

Deleted member 2719

This looked great so I've signed up! I will report back with my thoughts on it.

Thanks for the help.

I have also signed up with cornerstone very impressed so far apart from postie could get the box through my letterbox. British company, German engineering and flexible orders. So far I have used one blade for 8 shaves and it still feels new, mind you it has been known if its windy enough I don't have to shave for days!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here