Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sex gang leader appeals deportation......on the grounds of Human Rights

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Turkey is a signed-up member of the ECHR. In fact, its judge is one of the two vice-presidents of the court

I was wrong then the EU stated position opposes the death penalty I assumed it was related to human rights.

Joining the ECHR is meant to bring basic human rights up to a set standard. Perhaps the fact Turkey has a leading figure in that court shows we could do better on our own.

The European Commission has called on Turkey urgently to address significant failings on human rights and democracy.
A delayed annual report on Turkish prospects for EU membership says there have been serious setbacks in the past two years on freedom of expression.
It also says the independence of the judiciary had been undermined and that new laws run against EU standards.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34774624

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Any country wanting to join the EU has to sign up to the ECHR. In the unlikely event Belarus wanted to join it would have to change quite dramatically!. I seem to remember this was also a problem for Turkey's proposed membership re the death penalty, might be wrong though.

Everyone eligible to join the EU already has signed the ECHR - except Belarus.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Yes but the point is it is a prerequisite to joining the EU. The original post I was responding to was appearing to suggest the EU had nothing to do with the ECHR.

Of course it has something to do with the EU - they work very closely together. But administratively and legally, they are totally separate entities.

The closest analogy that springs to mind is Brighton & Hove Albion and Brighton & Hove City Council - both have the two towns in their name, and both represent the city in their own way, they work together, and one is dependent on the other for its existence and some of its rules. They are, however, totally separate entities. Don't spend too much time dissecting that, as there are probably better examples, but that's one that just sprung off the top of my head.

Meanwhile, here's an interesting piece on the ECHR's relationship with Britain. Or rather, with some of Britain's politicians... http://www.theguardian.com/law/2013/dec/22/britain-european-court-human-rights

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Of course it has something to do with the EU - they work very closely together. But administratively and legally, they are totally separate entities.

The closest analogy that springs to mind is Brighton & Hove Albion and Brighton & Hove City Council - both have the two towns in their name, and both represent the city in their own way, they work together, and one is dependent on the other for its existence and some of its rules. They are, however, totally separate entities. Don't spend too much time dissecting that, as there are probably better examples, but that's one that just sprung off the top of my head.

Meanwhile, here's an interesting piece on the ECHR's relationship with Britain. Or rather, with some of Britain's politicians... http://www.theguardian.com/law/2013/dec/22/britain-european-court-human-rights

Well we sort of agree on the relationship between the EU and ECHR although you don't have to become a member of B&H city council to join BHAFC or vice versa as you say better examples are available.

Another interesting piece ...

Senior judge: European court of human rights undermining democratic process

Sumption highlighted one example of the court's "creative" role in reinterpreting the convention to take into account contemporary circumstances, namely its interpretation of Article 8 of the convention – the right to private and family life.

A right originally "devised as a protection against the surveillance state by totalitarian governments" now extends, Sumption said, "to cover the legal status of illegitimate children, immigration and deportation, extradition, aspects of criminal sentencing, abortion, homosexuality, assisted suicide, child abduction, the law of landlord and tenant, and a great deal else besides".

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2013/nov/28/european-court-of-human-rights

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
well once the EU , ECHR, PPFJ , PFJ , PMRF , DFMRF and the DFCJCF ....have decided , the fact will still remain that this piece of shit is guilty of a more heinous crime......therefore he is liable to be deported under the public safety act.....oh but hold on , who are we calling the public these days..........what a mess the uk is becoming ....what the **** is going on , honestly.......how far can it go...??!!

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Nobody has a right to an education.

We want everyone to have an education, but nobody has a right to one, because an education has to be give to you by someone else.

Your have a right to your life, your liberty and your property, and that is really all.

Rights are things which cannot be taken from you, they are not things which must be given to you by someoine else.

When I read that the ECHR believes in a right to an education, that tells me that the ECHR is actually interested in politics and ideology, rather than law.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Nobody has a right to an education.

We want everyone to have an education, but nobody has a right to one, because an education has to be give to you by someone else.

Your have a right to your life, your liberty and your property, and that is really all.

Rights are things which cannot be taken from you, they are not things which must be given to you by someoine else.

When I read that the ECHR believes in a right to an education, that tells me that the ECHR is actually interested in politics and ideology, rather than law.

Life. Liberty. Property.
These can all be taken from you . You've contradicted yourself a bit here .

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Gosh I've missed you oh large one[emoji1]

Jan 30, 2008
Slavery was abolished in Britain in 1834.

That was after Greece (1822), Holland (1814), Spain (1811).
Some abolitions are a bit vague as some countries outlawed trading slaves before actually outlawing slavery and others stopped it at home whilst allowing it to continue in thier colonies.
We're talking about the UK here , bore off:facepalm
regards
DR

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
All this arguing because he has APPEALED against deportation. Should be a binfest if it is ever granted!

Jan 30, 2008
Can't believe some on here trying to put a deffensive spin on the issue of a filthy sex case who shouldn't be in this countr
Regards
DR

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Life. Liberty. Property.
These can all be taken from you . You've contradicted yourself a bit here .

You misunderstood what I wrote.

If it's easier to understand, read "cannot be taken from you" as, "must not be taken from you".

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Which bit(s) of the European Convention on Human rights do you want us to remove ourselves from :

Right to life
Anti-torture and inhumane treatment
Anti-slavery
Right to liberty and security of the person
Right to a fair trial
Anti-retrospective conviction
Right to private and family life
Right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion
Right to freedom of expression
Right to freedom of assembly and association
Right to marriage
Right to an effective remedy
Anti-discrimination
Right to peaceful enjoyment of property
Duty to provide fair and free elections
Right to education
?

All of it. We will manage it in the UK.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Nice to see a sensible post on this topic.

Sad (but entirely predictable) to see so many people using the case of an odious scumbag as a stick to beat the ECHR and EU with, and to conflate the two entirely separate entities. as well.

The anti-EU brigade blame anything they don't like, approve of, or understand, on the dastardly EU; never sure if it's due to ignorance or paranoia.

Show me someone who is opposed to the principle of human rights, and they are probably a would-be/wannabe tyrant or dictator; just look at the vile regimes in the world - today and in the last 100 years - which have denied human rights; is that what people want us to be like?

Arbitrary arrest? Unlimited detention in a police cell without charge or access to a lawyer? Trial without jury? The right to express controversial opinions (on NSC)? Yeah, let's get rid of all this namby-pamby human rights bollox because of a few scumbags who abuse the legislation and system!

I don't see why trial by jury is or should be a human right. The right to a fair trial certainly but that does not have to be a jury.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I was wrong then the EU stated position opposes the death penalty I assumed it was related to human rights.

Joining the ECHR is meant to bring basic human rights up to a set standard. Perhaps the fact Turkey has a leading figure in that court shows we could do better on our own.

The European Commission has called on Turkey urgently to address significant failings on human rights and democracy.
A delayed annual report on Turkish prospects for EU membership says there have been serious setbacks in the past two years on freedom of expression.
It also says the independence of the judiciary had been undermined and that new laws run against EU standards.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34774624

Turkey also occupies part of an EU member state with 40 000 troops and the EU has done nothing apart from say oh well then the laws dont apply in that bit, just so they could get another member in the club, which promptly went bust spectacularly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here