Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seriously underrated players

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Gordon Greer has been called slow , and not worthy of his place on NSC for years. In fact the centre piece of one of the best defences in the Championship (even last year) for the last 5 years and has never received the accolades of Bruno, Upson, or even Dunk.

Keith Andrews was either ignored or dismissed in 2013/14 but his 30+ appearances were key to the play off team .

Ashley Barnes was under rated whilst at the Albion to a certain extent. But like most players who leave and go on to even modest success is now overrated (see also Steve Cook, Tommy Elphick )

Tommy Elphick completely written off by a vocal minority here, back in the day.

How about Andy Crosby? tough centre half, decent footballer and left us as his lack of pace and age were by all accounts counting against him. A couple of seasons later whilst we laboured in Div1, Andy was player coach in the Championship.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Minton, underrated? Everyone thought he was the dog's proverbials.

I don't think they did really. I remember him getting a lot of stick, but he was clearly a class above all the other players in a terrible side.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
At the time Morgan marshalled the defence including Cullip. Morgan read the game so well and yes often cleared up after DC had cocked up. I know Cullip was a fans favourite but that doesn't always make you a great player.

That's complete bollocks. They were an awesome central defensive partnership, both contributing equally. Morgan a wise old head who read the game well and Cullip a strong no nonsense defender who won most battles in the air and on the ground. He was also pretty quick.

Cullip is still one of the best central defenders I've seen for the Albion he was so dominant for us whether that be partnered with Crosby, Wicks or Morgan.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That's complete bollocks. They were an awesome central defensive partnership, both contributing equally. Morgan a wise old head who read the game well and Cullip a strong no nonsense defender who won most battles in the air and on the ground. He was also pretty quick.

Cullip is still one of the best central defenders I've seen for the Albion he was so dominant for us whether that be partnered with Crosby, Wicks or Morgan.

Disagree. Morgan was our Paul McGrath. Cullip was a very good CH but Morgan wore the trousers in the partnership.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Disagree. Morgan was our Paul McGrath. Cullip was a very good CH but Morgan wore the trousers in the partnership.

Morgan was class one of my favourite players of the last twenty years. I don't think he made one error in his season with us.

I just think it's doing a massive disservice to Cullip who was consistently outstanding during his time with us.

Two other centre halves who haven't been mentioned. Dean Blackwell who was a class act in his short time with us and Ian Culverhouse who was almost drawing his pension but was a cut above the shite we had at the time.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Trevor Benjamin had a really good loan spell with us - always surprised that his career went so quickly downhill afterwards.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey

I agree Cullip was good in lower league but a bit like Dunk during our poor spell this season DC was always going to make that one mistake a game. Maybe the reason he never made a step up to a bigger club.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I agree Cullip was good in lower league but a bit like Dunk during our poor spell this season DC was always going to make that one mistake a game. Maybe the reason he never made a step up to a bigger club.

The Morgan/Cullip partnership was a lower league one. They were together during the league 1 title winning side.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Robert Codner was top drawer on his day. A matchwinner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here