Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seriously underrated players

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
PS: Even underrated Sam Baldock has (just) a better scoring rate in the Champ (21 in 100 apps) compared to over rated Ashley Barnes (29 in 142)

Oct 25, 2003
He wasn't 'allowed' to wander off. He was a Wolves player when on loan to us, and we tried to sign him. He chose to go to Germany for more money, than we could offer.

it was stoke but otherwise you're right....also i think the 'lower leagues of germany' is misleading in THPP's post...it was to the equivalent of the championship (same level as we were in at the time) to a club who had qualified for the uefa cup. We were obviously at Withdean on a tiny budget

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
it was stoke but otherwise you're right....also i think the 'lower leagues of germany' is misleading in THPP's post...it was to the equivalent of the championship (same level as we were in at the time) to a club who had qualified for the uefa cup. We were obviously at Withdean on a tiny budget

Thanks, the memory is a bit dodgy at times.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Always thought it was very odd that the club didn't seem to make much of an effort to retain the services of Chris Iwelumo at the end of the 2003/2004 season. Following his loan period with us, he was just allowed to wander off to play in the lower levels of the German League. When he came back to England he maintained a very decent scoring rate with Colchester, Charlton, Wolves and Burnley. Tho we'll quickly pass over his missing an open goal from two yards out for Scotland... :facepalm:

Wasn't it more to do with his personal demands than the club 'just letting him wander off'.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
He wasn't 'allowed' to wander off. He was a Wolves player when on loan to us, and we tried to sign him. He chose to go to Germany for more money, than we could offer.

When he came back from Germany McGhee had first option to sign him. He decided he wasn't good enough for the championship and recommended him to Phil Parkinson, manager of Colchester. Iwelumo's goals helped Colchester win promotion from Division 1 and he then more than proved himself in the championship.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Given the massive thread about him, could we include Tomer Hemed?

Also, Barnes was underrated. As was/is Greer.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
When he came back from Germany McGhee had first option to sign him. He decided he wasn't good enough for the championship and recommended him to Phil Parkinson, manager of Colchester. Iwelumo's goals helped Colchester win promotion from Division 1 and he then more than proved himself in the championship.

McGhee had his fingers burned the previous year when Iwelumo turned us down to go to Germany. Some you win, and some you lose.

strangersam

Dec 20, 2015
chris o-grady - held up the ball well with strength and control, very decent player and useful to bring on as a sub late on in an effort to kill the game off

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I always thought that Kevin McGarrigle was a bright prospect as a central defender but Liam Brady or was it Jimmy Case moved him to midfield and he went down hill very quickly.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
chris o-grady - held up the ball well with strength and control, very decent player and useful to bring on as a sub late on in an effort to kill the game off

Agree with this. Saw him play against Arsenal in the cup at the Amex and he looked like the only player not terrified of them (at least in the first half).

Mystery to me why he doesn't score more goals. Seems to have all the attributes......

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Simon Morgan was the first player I thought of, but are you serious when you say he carried Danny Cullip? ???
Cullip was a brilliant central defender at that level.
At the time Morgan marshalled the defence including Cullip. Morgan read the game so well and yes often cleared up after DC had cocked up. I know Cullip was a fans favourite but that doesn't always make you a great player.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Gordon Greer has been called slow , and not worthy of his place on NSC for years. In fact the centre piece of one of the best defences in the Championship (even last year) for the last 5 years and has never received the accolades of Bruno, Upson, or even Dunk.

Great shout. Ol' Gordon is a legend in my book.

Peter Brezovan is my choice, solid keeper for the most part.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Stockdale was seriously underrated last season. He made far too many howlers, at dreadful moments, but if you ignored these, you could see he was a brilliant keeper at this level. I was saying as much last season, as was our resident keeper and mod, @HansKraayFanClub

Making 'far too many howlers at dreadful moments' is not good for a goalkeeper, so I'm not sure how he could have been underrated at the time - by definition, not being error-prone is an important measure of the quality of a goalkeeper. I think it would be fair to say that his performance now reflect his ability.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Gordon Greer has been called slow , and not worthy of his place on NSC for years. In fact the centre piece of one of the best defences in the Championship (even last year) for the last 5 years and has never received the accolades of Bruno, Upson, or even Dunk.

Keith Andrews was either ignored or dismissed in 2013/14 but his 30+ appearances were key to the play off team .

Ashley Barnes was under rated whilst at the Albion to a certain extent. But like most players who leave and go on to even modest success is now overrated (see also Steve Cook, Tommy Elphick )

Greer, in particular, is a good call for this thread. He has always had his fair share of critics, but while he has his weaknesses, I think history will judge him to be the defensive mainstay of one of the most successful periods in our history, and also the defender who facilitated the club's new vision of passing / possession football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here