Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seriously underrated players

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Stockdale was seriously underrated last season. He made far too many howlers, at dreadful moments, but if you ignored these, you could see he was a brilliant keeper at this level. I was saying as much last season, as was our resident keeper and mod, @HansKraayFanClub

Think he had a small but very vocal group of haters (on here, and the **** that sometimes sits behind me in WSL in particular) but also plenty of supporters too. Without him we'd probably have gone down last season, and probably wouldn't be top 6 this season.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Stockdale was seriously underrated last season. He made far too many howlers, at dreadful moments, but if you ignored these, you could see he was a brilliant keeper at this level. I was saying as much last season, as was our resident keeper and mod, @HansKraayFanClub

I think Stockdale divided opinion quite dramatically with little room for fence-sitting. I was in the camp that thought he was instrumental in keeping us up with some of his worldy saves last season. I might even have had him as my POTS last year.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Matt Derbyshire.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Class player for us but I seem to recall he didn't play that many games 2nd half of the season when Bridders came in? Was fairly old then though wasn't he...

He wasn't particularly old, but went back home for a month for personal reasons, which turned out that his wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. Bridcutt did start to shine & made the position his own
Kishishev's wife died the following year, so he retired from football to bring his children up.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Steve Jacobs. The quiet-but-hard man of a midfield that also featured Danny Wilson and Dennis Mortimer.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Why do some find it difficult to be honest about Barnes average player who needed ten chances to score one at Championship level. I'm not knocking the lad but the way some go on about him is a bit OTT.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He wasn't particularly old, but went back home for a month for personal reasons, which turned out that his wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. Bridcutt did start to shine & made the position his own
Kishishev's wife died the following year, so he retired from football to bring his children up.

He was 35/36 when he joined us!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Always thought it was very odd that the club didn't seem to make much of an effort to retain the services of Chris Iwelumo at the end of the 2003/2004 season. Following his loan period with us, he was just allowed to wander off to play in the lower levels of the German League. When he came back to England he maintained a very decent scoring rate with Colchester, Charlton, Wolves and Burnley. Tho we'll quickly pass over his missing an open goal from two yards out for Scotland... :facepalm:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Gordon Greer has been called slow , and not worthy of his place on NSC for years. In fact the centre piece of one of the best defences in the Championship (even last year) for the last 5 years and has never received the accolades of Bruno, Upson, or even Dunk.

Keith Andrews was either ignored or dismissed in 2013/14 but his 30+ appearances were key to the play off team .

Ashley Barnes was under rated whilst at the Albion to a certain extent. But like most players who leave and go on to even modest success is now overrated (see also Steve Cook, Tommy Elphick )

Brighton Boy

Nov 11, 2003
Lancing
Steve Melton stands out to me. Played centre midfield and RB a couple of times and always played well but struggled to play as much as he should of because the back to back championship side was so settled in terms of personnel.

Ashley Barnes is another one. A fantastic record when you consider that he played on the left of a 4-5-1 for the second half of his time with us.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Always thought it was very odd that the club didn't seem to make much of an effort to retain the services of Chris Iwelumo at the end of the 2003/2004 season. Following his loan period with us, he was just allowed to wander off to play in the lower levels of the German League. When he came back to England he maintained a very decent scoring rate with Colchester, Charlton, Wolves and Burnley. Tho we'll quickly pass over his missing an open goal from two yards out for Scotland... :facepalm:

He wasn't 'allowed' to wander off. He was a Wolves player when on loan to us, and we tried to sign him. He chose to go to Germany for more money, than we could offer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here