Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Selfies OUT!

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I'm not often at Fulham early enough or late enough to witness the players arriving & leaving but the few times I have, the coach pulls up in a position where its difficult to get near enough to the players - there's only a few metres of barrier space. After the game, most players walk to the local primary school where they park their cars, and they'll sign stuff. Some players who lived / live locally cycle (Moritz Voltz) or walk home (Willian). It could be different if we had a Japanese player though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not often at Fulham early enough or late enough to witness the players arriving & leaving but the few times I have, the coach pulls up in a position where its difficult to get near enough to the players - there's only a few metres of barrier space. After the game, most players walk to the local primary school where they park their cars, and they'll sign stuff. Some players who lived / live locally cycle (Moritz Voltz) or walk home (Willian). It could be different if we had a Japanese player though.
I don’t know why, but I like the idea of players walking or cycling home after a game.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
I've a hazy recollection of the club allowing all Junior Seagulls members to visit the ground, with the entire first team dotted around the place and autograph hunters encouraged to go and find them. We're not talking Shannon Matthews' hide and seek - nobody was on the roof or under the boardroom table - but it was a fun day out insofar as I can recall.

Year: 1984 (possibly '85)

Alan Biley was in the changing rooms.

#jumpersforgoalposts

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Moritz Volz is probably one of the most likeable footballers ever. Cycling to games, he used to bake cake and biscuits for players and had certain things he’d make depending on who the opponent was. Not your typical footballer.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Entitlement. I work in theatre and witness stage door twattery nightly. Many feel they are owed an autograph/selfie as part of their ticket price.

So if an actor uses an another exit, has to rush for their train, is meeting a partner, has their kids around, has a migraine, hates the general public etc they are often complained about/abused in social media and even to their face.

It’s mental.
I wonder how many days, no hours, if everyone ignored a luvvie darling or football prima donna, they would be back begging for attention....

Single figures I reckon

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I wonder how many days, no hours, if everyone ignored a luvvie darling or football prima donna, they would be back begging for attention....

Single figures I reckon
Some like the chance to greet their fans, some are genuine introverts and all their skill comes out on the stage/pitch. Some are very socially awkward people who happen to be talented in their profession, but aren’t very good at meeting new people. Some love the limelight, others hate it. There’s no hard and fast rule, because they’re just humans doing a job and managing all that comes with it.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Got a call from the club yesterday asking whether the two young Clive’s would be interested in a meet and greet with the players prior to todays kick off. I understand this is the new way of doing things since the ban came into effect.

The lad I spoke to didn’t go into detail but said I’d be astonished if I heard some of the tales that had taken place at the stadium and training ground.

Anyway, I’m not really into this sort of stuff but sure the kids will love it. I’ll feedback later on.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've a hazy recollection of the club allowing all Junior Seagulls members to visit the ground, with the entire first team dotted around the place and autograph hunters encouraged to go and find them. We're not talking Shannon Matthews' hide and seek - nobody was on the roof or under the boardroom table - but it was a fun day out insofar as I can recall.

Year: 1984 (possibly '85)

Alan Biley was in the changing rooms.

#jumpersforgoalposts
I’ve some great memories and photos of my two kids with a selection of players at the Junior Seagulls Christmas party at the Triangle in Burgess Hill. There was no out of control mobbing of Sam Gargan or Doug Loft in those days!

One particular photo of my eldest with the latter, Loft just looks delighted that anybody has asked him.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I’ve some great memories and photos of my two kids with a selection of players at the Junior Seagulls Christmas party at the Triangle in Burgess Hill. There was no out of control mobbing of Sam Gargan or Doug Loft in those days!

One particular photo of my eldest with the latter, Loft just looks delighted that anybody has asked him.
I think the players used to find us in those days! Trestle tables and penalties against John Sullivan and Will Packham

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Sign of The Times. High dickhead percentage in the population ruins things like this. If everyone could act respectfully and politely to others it wouldn't be an issue (plus the obvious selling on for profit). Club has been forced into a more draconian action.

mile oak

May 21, 2023
As long as this enhanced selfie and autograph opportunities with the squad event doesn't become a pay event then they've done the right thing.
Of course it will be a pay event in the future.Maybe not every occasion but for sure it will be a pay event with named tickets no passing on transfers etc.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Banning autographs and selfies, thats absolutely embarrassing by the club. Why dont you tell us again about the fantastic relationship you have with the fans, as long they do as their told and don't bother you with outrageous requests for things such as an autograph.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Maybe I have misread this. Understandable if people are standing in front of cars at training ground something had to be done. However surely hanging around after games seeing players come out is so much of early football memories for youngsters. Hopefully it is just selfies that are banned and they can still see players come out and take photos as they do

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Banning autographs and selfies, thats absolutely embarrassing by the club. Why dont you tell us again about the fantastic relationship you have with the fans, as long they do as they’re told and don't bother you with outrageous requests for things such as an autograph.
You have completely missed the point and/or have not bothered to read the statement or indeed this thread.

Sadly the greedy opportunists have spoilt it and the club has had to act.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I remember the Gillingham days so desperate were the club to be seen as a community football club access to the players management and Directors was an almost given how times have changed, I remember eating a MacDonalds with Bobby Zamora at a motorway service station after his first appearance for the Albion

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
You have completely missed the point and/or have not bothered to read the statement or indeed this thread.

Sadly the greedy opportunists have spoilt it and the club has had to act.
Yeah I did read it, and it's dead easy to stop fans waiting outside the training ground without banning autographs and selfies. More to the point I read the bit about the club being annoyed that autographs are being sold online. Which to my mind seems like their motivation for the ban, combined with the hassle it causes them.

And just to point out autographs are largely worthless, and should there be a few odd ones that are a little bit of money, why can't someone sell them on? Its a really easy cop out so the club can justify stop doing something that they find a bit of pain, but means a lot to fans, especially the kids.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here