Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Selfies OUT!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm still ASTONISHED by the gaggle of hapless goons who hang around at the back of the West waiting for the away coach to pull up, so they get to glimpse the "superstars" of the opposition as they slope off into the dressing room, hanging out in the unlikely offchance of getting some piece of TAT scribbled on by a bloke in gigantic headphones who would actually prefer that you were dead.

I often have to wade through these tragic desperate muggles, hoping I that have half a chance of getting a lukewarm plastic pint of piss in before kickoff. Frankly I'm probably as much of a matchday dickhead as the rest of them.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
Entitlement. I work in theatre and witness stage door twattery nightly. Many feel they are owed an autograph/selfie as part of their ticket price.

So if an actor uses an another exit, has to rush for their train, is meeting a partner, has their kids around, has a migraine, hates the general public etc they are often complained about/abused in social media and even to their face.

It’s mental.
I’ve a little experience of it, and I rarely enjoy it if I am really honest. Especially after a two show day. The performance doesn’t end when I leave the stage, or even after I’ve spent an hour or more removing my costume, all my makeup and preparing all my shit for the following day, but once I get away from the stage door, and I don’t have to grin through the exhaustion and make polite small talk with strangers. On the occasions I’ve had a bad one, desperately wanna get to the pub or my bed and I really can’t force it, I am left with a horrible feeling of guilt for not putting on a good performance at the stage door. I can’t even begin to imagine what it would be like for football players! f*** THAT!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Fine by me - as long as giving invitations to kids like they are going to do doesn't just become another revenue scheme.
I read this a lot. Often from people who think we should sign player ‘x’ or that we sold player ‘y’ too cheaply. Like it or not “revenue streams” are what got us to where we are today.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There are many things* that irritate the shit out of me going to football but this one tops the list. Is it possible those responsible for this blatant begging con job can be given a ten year ban?

*See also - half n’half scarves, Northern types that insist on taking off their shirts, any fan that keeps chanting “Yerkshire! Yerkshire!” in the train queue, Todd Boehly, most of Chelsea, anything to do with Chelsea, all of Chelsea, Tottenham’s supposed fantastic stadium catering, Southern Rail, trespassers on the line after the match.

Really, there are loads more but I just can’t be arsed at the moment. :angry:
Please do be “arsed”….I’m enjoying this rant!

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
I think it’s fair enough, especially if they are turning up at the training ground.

Even if the players considered it a part of a matchday, being hassled going in and out of training everyday is unfair, especially if they get abuse if they can’t stay and sign everything.

At least the club are putting something into place for fans to meet the players and get pics/autographs in a more managed way.

veuve

Jun 27, 2015
A family club that come match day ignores and walks straight past it's own fans is so wrong, remember our roots,our soul.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
A woman my wife works with kids hang around training grounds in the summer and have turned it into a nice little business selling signed shirts online. I was actually quite impressed at least they aren’t at home stuck in front of a PlayStation. They do well with Tottenham players who apparently have a lot of time for fans at the training ground.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
A family club that come match day ignores and walks straight past it's own fans is so wrong, remember our roots,our soul.
From what I’ve seen it’s mainly Japanese Mitoma fans who literally come just to see him, spend money in the club shop and part of their match day experience (hate the saying) is to hopefully meet him.
Seems strange to alienate the Japanese fans.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
From what I’ve seen it’s mainly Japanese Mitoma fans who literally come just to see him, spend money in the club shop and part of their match day experience (hate the saying) is to hopefully meet him.
Seems strange to alienate the Japanese fans.
They'll still be able to take photos of their hero up close and personal tho presumably. Just not selfies. They get a cool photo, Mitoma gets to his car before midnight, everybody wins!

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Sure included in the marketing of Junior Seagulls will now be opportunity to enter draw for post match autographs

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Don’t you think the club puts on enough for its fans on match days? Protecting its assets to ensure it gets the best out of them is surely a top priority.

Roots, soul ?? Have I been whooshed?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The club do read NSC (and chuckle at the theories that some posters come up with I’m sure). Someone close to the club got in contact with me again:

So the autograph/selfie thing- there's several reasons behind it.

1) ultimately it's safety for the fans, few times last season the vast numbers waiting were making it really hard for people to get away who were walking to the train station etc. It grew and grew and became untenable to the point where a few times it caused friction. (A lot of this was the Mitoma fan club who wouldn't follow our instructions.)

2) There's been incidents at the training ground where kids have been diving in front of the players cars, causing them to have to stop and if any players refused, they'd get an ear full.

3) it also kicked off at the Luton game where Luton fans were ignoring our Instructions to walk round the barriers and trying to walk the same route as the players, they then started giving players abuse, made homophobic remarks (few got arrested) and it also caused some Albion fans to kick off.

The whole thing is becoming more and more unmanageable

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
We waited a couple of times last season and almost all the players stopped for photos/autographs with every fan there. It must have taken them ages. Funnily enough, the 3 players who just ignored the fans have all left (Trossard, Sanchez, Undav).

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It gets rather dangerous at the Lancing facility. Morons running after cars etc.
I’ve seen it.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Do the club put barriers after the game to give players a clear walk to car park. Or do they have to push there way past supporters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here