Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Seem Tottenham Fans Seem Interested In Mr Potter

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If I were Potter and Spurs were willing to pay the compensation, I’d be off like a shot. He’s hardly an Albion hero or that well respected by most Albion fans is he?

Working with a decent budget, and a base of decent players has to be attractive to any football manager

Would he win the league with Spurs next year, very doubtful but he may just get them into the Champion’s League imo

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
If I were Potter and Spurs were willing to pay the compensation, I’d be off like a shot. He’s hardly an Albion hero or that well respected by most Albion fans is he?

Working with a decent budget, and a base of decent players has to be attractive to any football manager

Would he win the league with Spurs next year, very doubtful but he may just get them into the Champion’s League imo

I’m not so sure. Quite risky for his career though. Spurs are quite trigger happy if things aren’t going well.

Despite a minority of fans here, he has the full support of the club, an infrastructure in place and a very understanding forward thinking owner. The project is still underway, maybe in a couple of seasons.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What a disastrous few days this has been for Spurs.

Sacking Mourinho days before the League Cup Final seemed madness given Jose's track record of winning trophies, but not only that it seems a very shitty thing to do to your manager but it doesn't exactly attract would-be candidates.

They missed out on first choice Nagelsmann, they've now missed out on second choice Ten Hag and I'm sure this bollocks - coupled with the ESL fiasco and the ENIC Out campaign has provided Harry Kane with even more reasons to walk away from Spurs. Before, Spurs fans would have been annoyed with him, but now it looks like the bloke has no option but to leave.

All of a sudden the bookies have Potter 5th most likely candidate for the job (along with Scott Parker and Rafa Benitez). One of the four above Potter is the drifting Ten Hag, while the favourite Rogers said yesterday he wasn't interested in the Spurs job.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’m not so sure. Quite risky for his career though. Spurs are quite trigger happy if things aren’t going well.

Despite a minority of fans here, he has the full support of the club, an infrastructure in place and a very understanding forward thinking owner. The project is still underway, maybe in a couple of seasons.

If, as is quite possible, he is going to lose a couple of stars and has to make do with our current strike force, it’s hardly a great project for an under pressure manager is it? You know how toxic an Albion crowd can be if enough turn on the manager. Plenty are waiting to imo

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Blimey reading the Spurs fans forum they seem more informed about Potter than we do .

Nice to see that he's regarded so highly by other clubs supporters , it's quite odd that within our own fan base there are still those that want him gone !

I suppose some folks just look at the league table and that's how they judge a manager .

Potter is a exceptional manager and I hope he sees out his contract and achieves what the club wanted him to do with that 6 year plan .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Blimey reading the Spurs fans forum they seem more informed about Potter than we do .

Nice to see that he's regarded so highly by other clubs supporters , it's quite odd that within our own fan base there are still those that want him gone !

I suppose some folks just look at the league table and that's how they judge a manager .

Potter is a exceptional manager and I hope he sees out his contract and achieves what the club wanted him to do with that 6 year plan .

Five people on NSC? Three of them certified mentalists?

Let's not exaggerate the malcontent :shrug: :lolol:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
he has the full support of the club, an infrastructure in place and a very understanding forward thinking owner. The project is still underway, maybe in a couple of seasons.

All largely irrelevant to an ambitious manager courted by a top/big club, Spurs’ stadium is probably the finest in world football, training facilities too, so our ‘infrastructure’ counts for nowt in any case.

Not that for one minute I think GraPott is going anywhere.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

In a couple of years, his stock might have fallen or top jobs might not be available.

If he was offered the Spurs job, no way he's turn it down.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Dont think they want him, though probably getting close to GP territory now with Rodgers, Ten Hag and Nagelsmann out of it.

Even if they did, he's not leaving. Didnt leave Östersund for Malmö, IFK Göteborg or FC Köpenhamn despite them having a lot more resources and higher status and whatnot and wont be leaving Brighton for Tottenham. If United, City or Liverpool suddenly come calling, then maybe we could talk but this is just not going to happen.

People might point at him leaving Swansea after just a season but like he said in some interview, if he knew what he knows now he wouldnt have joined Swansea in the first place. The absent owners sacking the CEO that employed him because he stopped a £1m sale of Dan James speaks volumes of how poorly run that club was. Spurs could wave their big cheques and overpaid superstars all they want, the fact that they even appointed Mourinho just speaks volumes of them not having a plan or any real direction, its all a mess and nothing he would giive up what he got in Brighton for.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
If he went he would take Lamptey & Webster with him ( have always said Webster will end up at Spurs)

So 3 million for Potter
20-30 million for Lamptey
25-35 million for Webster.
=48-68 million
These are very conservative estimates. Spurs probably cannot afford them so no.

He might think (you clearly do) that he would take them with him, but he is no more entitled to do that than he is entitled to take his office desk with him.

They all belong to us (Tony), he cannot just 'take them with him'.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
He'd be mad not to go if offered the chance. Next season is a big one for him here. At the end of last season many thought this would be the season we pushed onwards up the table. That hasn't happened for a number of reasons but if we get to Xmas and are hovering around the bottom of the table, the pressure could mount. He'd get to coach some world class players at spurs, get paid a fortune and avoid future beach walking accidents.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
He might think (you clearly do) that he would take them with him, but he is no more entitled to do that than he is entitled to take his office desk with him.

They all belong to us (Tony), he cannot just 'take them with him'.

No he is not entitled to take them with him but if Spurs were interested in Webster & or Lamptey and Potter was in charge do you think either player would blink at the chance to link up with Potter, a huge pay rise, fantastic stadium, more realistic chance to play in Europe, higher profile to play for England. We need to face facts that although players are ' ours' at the moment things change and as we produce more attractive players for bigger clubs to sign the interest will grow.
Like most on here though I agree I can't see Potter moving to Spurs as he is quite a way down their pecking order. What I do see in the not so distant future is bids for Biss, White & Webster.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No he is not entitled to take them with him but if Spurs were interested in Webster & or Lamptey and Potter was in charge do you think either player would blink at the chance to link up with Potter, a huge pay rise, fantastic stadium, more realistic chance to play in Europe, higher profile to play for England. We need to face facts that although players are ' ours' at the moment things change and as we produce more attractive players for bigger clubs to sign the interest will grow.
Like most on here though I agree I can't see Potter moving to Spurs as he is quite a way down their pecking order. What I do see in the not so distant future is bids for Biss, White & Webster.

He's moving up it I would think as their other supposed candidates are falling away rapidly - my Spuds STH mate is almost at the point of despair (not helped by me telling him Southgate was in the frame :))..............they seem to have run out of options (hence the increasing talk from them about Potter). I'd be gutted if Potter left and worried about a) who would leave with him and b) who we'd get instead.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Dont think they want him, though probably getting close to GP territory now with Rodgers, Ten Hag and Nagelsmann out of it.

Even if they did, he's not leaving. Didnt leave Östersund for Malmö, IFK Göteborg or FC Köpenhamn despite them having a lot more resources and higher status and whatnot and wont be leaving Brighton for Tottenham. If United, City or Liverpool suddenly come calling, then maybe we could talk but this is just not going to happen.

People might point at him leaving Swansea after just a season but like he said in some interview, if he knew what he knows now he wouldnt have joined Swansea in the first place. The absent owners sacking the CEO that employed him because he stopped a £1m sale of Dan James speaks volumes of how poorly run that club was. Spurs could wave their big cheques and overpaid superstars all they want, the fact that they even appointed Mourinho just speaks volumes of them not having a plan or any real direction, its all a mess and nothing he would giive up what he got in Brighton for.

I think Potter and Brighton are an excellent mutual fit (and, no, this isn't meant to be contradictory or a smoke screen, I think he likes the club and city and I think Bloom likes him, which is why I've always said TB won't remove him). I don't think Potter and Spurs suit each other in any way.

But more than that, so long as we survive in the PL, which we should still, next season is a real crossroads. It's GP's opportunity to ram a lot of criticism down throats if we can finally reach our potential. If, on the other hand, it's another season of draws, 16/17th places and 40 points we'll see how much TB values all the other progress over results.

The weird thing is, though, we are still (relatively) little old Brighton and a season of getting everyone onboard may ultimately lead to one of those massive club dream jobs.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I agree. You'd need to be a bit of a **** (happy to risk a cluster**** for a year or so of big money, followed by oblivion in Potter's case) to agree to manage Spuds right now, and Potter is not a ****.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I agree. You'd need to be a bit of a **** (happy to risk a cluster**** for a year or so of big money, followed by oblivion in Potter's case) to agree to manage Spuds right now, and Potter is not a ****.

Look at it another way it may be the last, even only chance he has to manage a bigger club than Brighton. There is no guarantee his career is on an upward spiral from now on. I don't think Spurs will enquire about him but would he go if they did? You bet he would.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Look at it another way it may be the last, even only chance he has to manage a bigger club than Brighton. There is no guarantee his career is on an upward spiral from now on. I don't think Spurs will enquire about him but would he go if they did? You bet he would.
This, all managers say if they get a shot at a big club they have to go for it as the opportunity may never come again.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
This, all managers say if they get a shot at a big club they have to go for it as the opportunity may never come again.

For better or worse, I'm not sure Potter's representative of a normal football manager, personality wise.

I'd think in general a professional sportsman, which is basically what a manager is, would have enough self confidence to turn a job down if it came at the wrong time. From Potter's perspective you'd think he'd see more scope to impress by "overachieving" with Brighton next season rather than trying to deal with the situation at Tottenham at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here