Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Seem Tottenham Fans Seem Interested In Mr Potter

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I’m genuinely worried about this now. All the reports are that the two preferred candidates are in jobs currently and it will be hard and costly to get them to leave. That rules out quite a few candidates mentioned above. Most likely that’s Ten Hag (who recently signed a new deal at Ajax) and Potter...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’m genuinely worried about this now. All the reports are that the two preferred candidates are in jobs currently and it will be hard and costly to get them to leave. That rules out quite a few candidates mentioned above. Most likely that’s Ten Hag (who recently signed a new deal at Ajax) and Potter...

The only managers we have had “poached” are Coppell who was “torn” but what Reading were offering him was too much and allegedly DK wanted the compensation, such were our financial woes, and Adams who seemed to think a job as an assistant at a PL club suited him better.

Can Spurs really entice him away from what looks from the outside like the perfect project here at the Albion. I will very disappointed and surprised if he goes but like you I am worried, as Spurs is a big step up from the Albion as things stand.

Got to love Brighton, we are always worried about losing someone in the close season, although nobody we don’t want gone has actually gone since Ulloa :smile:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
In the cold light of day I don't see the actuality of the Spuds job as any much better . . .depends on your personal circumstance I suppose. Also depends how settled the family are. Assuming they get consideration. (I'm sure they do, but plenty of ambitious people don't think like that)

the potential to achieve at BHA and maybe take up top 10 or even Europe for the first time ever has to be as much a challenge as being a top 6 wannabe and nearly but not quite 'big' team? Also we have the infrastructure from youth up . . . . Is spuds set up even close ? Money is laregely irrelevant if you've already got millions in the bank.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The only managers we have had “poached” are Coppell who was “torn” but what Reading were offering him was too much and allegedly DK wanted the compensation, such were our financial woes, and Adams who seemed to think a job as an assistant at a PL club suited him better.

Not true - Freddie Goodwin and Brian Clough were both poached

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not true - Freddie Goodwin and Brian Clough were both poached

Fair enough I wasn’t a Brighton fan in those days :smile:

In fact as a non Brighton resident I didn’t even know Brighton had a league team until Clough was appointed

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One of the Football Weekly talking Heads rather glibly said something that actually makes perfect sense.

Tottingham should keep Mason on to manage Spurs in the European Plate competition.

Give him a designated (predominately under 23's) squad, and tell him to crack on.

New man get more time with new squad.
But is in no way pressured by Mason, as he's shitehouse.

It's a crazy plan ...

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
In the cold light of day I don't see the actuality of the Spuds job as any much better . . .depends on your personal circumstance I suppose. Also depends how settled the family are. Assuming they get consideration. (I'm sure they do, but plenty of ambitious people don't think like that)

the potential to achieve at BHA and maybe take up top 10 or even Europe for the first time ever has to be as much a challenge as being a top 6 wannabe and nearly but not quite 'big' team? Also we have the infrastructure from youth up . . . . Is spuds set up even close ? Money is laregely irrelevant if you've already got millions in the bank.

The alternative view is - if you are Potter - the stars aligning for a role with a ‘Big 6’ club may only happen once - and he may feel that is this chance. He isn’t going to get either of the Manc clubs or Liverpool / Chelsea so it’s this or Arsenal unless he wants to move abroad again (and from previous things he’s said he seems reluctant to upend his family again). Like I say, I’m worried.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Valmeira of Latvia, Maribor of Slovenia and Honka of Finland are some of the clubs Tottenham could face in this year's Europa Conference League. If you’ve not heard of them before, they’re a small team that play in North London.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Valmeira of Latvia, Maribor of Slovenia and Honka of Finland are some of the clubs Tottenham could face in this year's Europa Conference League. If you’ve not heard of them before, they’re a small team that play in North London.

Oh I wonder if we'll buy another striker from Maribor?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
The alternative view is - if you are Potter - the stars aligning for a role with a ‘Big 6’ club may only happen once - and he may feel that is this chance. He isn’t going to get either of the Manc clubs or Liverpool / Chelsea so it’s this or Arsenal unless he wants to move abroad again (and from previous things he’s said he seems reluctant to upend his family again). Like I say, I’m worried.

I still remain fairly relaxed on this.

Don’t get me wrong, I do think Spurs should go for Potter. Think he’s an incredible coach and would improve their players, put faith in youngsters and play brilliant stylish football for them.

However I’m not convinced that GP will be as drawn to the Spurs role as some assume. He’s already made statements of late regards his good relationship with Tony, Paul and Dan. Said how carefully he chooses clubs now and has connected to Tony “on a philosophical level”.

We’re still at the start of a potentially exciting journey. He’s about to start seeing the fruits of his labours (we hope).

To jack all that in for trigger happy Levy is a hell of a risk. Poch took them to a Champions League final and he was sacked. Potter would do well to get one season and may not have Harry Kane.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I still remain fairly relaxed on this.

Don’t get me wrong, I do think Spurs should go for Potter. Think he’s an incredible coach and would improve their players, put faith in youngsters and play brilliant stylish football for them.

However I’m not convinced that GP will be as drawn to the Spurs role as some assume. He’s already made statements of late regards his good relationship with Tony, Paul and Dan. Said how carefully he chooses clubs now and has connected to Tony “on a philosophical level”.

We’re still at the start of a potentially exciting journey. He’s about to start seeing the fruits of his labours (we hope).

To jack all that in for trigger happy Levy is a hell of a risk. Poch took them to a Champions League final and he was sacked. Potter would do well to get one season and may not have Harry Kane.

I agree. If it ever came down to it, obvs Paul Barber can give Potter all he needs ref the pluses/minuses of working with Daniel Levy.

From what I've read/heard, Potter is very much the sort of guy to put family first....and after up-rooting them from Ostersund to Swansea, and then to Brighton, in quick succession, another move doesn't seem likely. Although I suppose theoretically you CAN commute from Brighton to North London.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I

And on the back of that CL final, Poch got another job and Mourinho has plenty of pedigree but someone without any history of success may not fare so well. Where's Tim Sherwood now? What's AWB doing? - racing cars. Potter could have 20 years or more in football, he doesn't want to stall his career now

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
And on the back of that CL final, Poch got another job and Mourinho has plenty of pedigree but someone without any history of success may not fare so well. Where's Tim Sherwood now? What's AWB doing? - racing cars. Potter could have 20 years or more in football, he doesn't want to stall his career now

Also in the recent presser he was asked again about this. He mentioned how these first 2 years are the toughest part of the journey, as he’s had to make wholesale changes to the club culture, to the playing staff whilst getting results in the short term.

He now has the foundations to really kick on now and putting the points on the board discussion to the side (which is a contentious topic here), I think most Albion fans can clearly see the progression being made. It’s all set for us to push on in an exciting way and GP has a supportive owner and infrastructure to help him every step of the way.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Spurs will no doubt double Potter’s salary.
However on a pure football basis he’d be mad to go there right now.
Kane will leave this summer, if he doesn’t it will be because no team will meet the asking price of likely £120m (City will) or because Spurs offer him an Ozil level deal. Neither scenario is great.
No guarantee that money goes back into the squad either, they have a huge stadium debt to pay, massive wages and no champions league again.
Without Kane they are weaker up front and they won’t replace him like for like.
Their midfield is bang average.
Their defence is worse than ours, for example Aurier is absolutely shite and will be on £80k a week minimum.
Their keeper is past his best and makes mistakes.
Their academy doesn’t seem to be producing right now either, nowhere near the level of Arsenal’s anyway.
In short they need a rebuild and might not have the cash to do that in 1 or 2 windows even with the Kane money.
Spurs fans need to prepare themselves for this to get worse before it gets better IMO.

So if Potter went to Spurs I’d question his motives and even his integrity as IMO it wouldn’t be for footballing reasons.

If Arsenal sacked Arteta I’d be much more worried.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
To be fair there’s issues with the owner there as well. Protests and silent Stan. Doesn’t seem a happy club either.

Both clubs on the cusp of major transition. Look how long it took Liverpooil and Manure to sort themselves out. whilst we're on a different scale, we are at least settled and industrious at all levels.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here