Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Seem Tottenham Fans Seem Interested In Mr Potter

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I just dont see it happening. When was the last time a top 6 club made risky managerial appointment on an up & coming manager who wasnt an ex player? It just doesnt happen. They'll throw some money at a European manager, or they'll take the risk and give it to Parker or Mason.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Only a few months ago a majority of NSC was 'Potter out' or on the fence whether he should be here at all.

False. I will defend NSC on that. Majority here have always backed the manager. Even during our toughest runs. Only a (unabashedly outspoken) minority have wanted Potter out.

Look, I think GP is a very talented manager with huge potential. That’s why I’m surprised at your comment to me, I’ve supported and backed the manager here pretty much through his entire tenure thus far.

Could he do a good job at a “bigger club”? Unquestionably, yes IMO. But I don’t think going to Spurs is as a given as you think it is, especially in their current state.

SAC

May 21, 2014
To me this does all rather feel like some posters here have drunk the Spurs Coolaid.

Spurs aren't the historied club they claim to be - In many ways they are Southern Everton. (who recently caught lightening in a bottle)
Spurs currently are most definitely not the club they think they are.
In the future who knows, but because of the above the future won't come soon enough for many inside and outside of the club.

The dream is in 12 months time GPott wouldn't lower himself to manage Spurs.
The reality is in 12 months time GPott has proven himself good enough to manager a bigger club.

The possibility is in 12 months time their new manager has been sacked for not delivering, despite:-

Overhauling the first XI.
Not having Kane & Son.
Quietened down the very angry fans.
&
having a fairly nondescript season just in the top 10.

Bung all that together and GPott may well be asking for a lift and he could do rather well for himself.

I just don't see it now.

The above may or may not be true.

What also may be true is that GP is the 4th lowest paid manager in the league, something that he will have agreed to but probably doesn't feel great when Dyche, Bruce, Parker & Hodgson are all (apparently) on three times his salary and in similar positions in the league. Paying (relative) peanuts isn't a great way to reward loyalty.

Spurs apparently paid £15 million for Jose. However broke they are, they are likely to be paying at least £5 million a year to the new manager.

Obviously these amounts are just what is in the media and may not be accurate.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I just dont see it happening. When was the last time a top 6 club made risky managerial appointment on an up & coming manager who wasnt an ex player? It just doesnt happen. They'll throw some money at a European manager, or they'll take the risk and give it to Parker or Mason.

My suspicion is all the big clubs are terrified of what happened to Moyes at Man Utd happening to them. Moyes is a very good manager and one of the best British managers (for my money) of the last 15 years or so in the Premier League. But it all went very horribly wrong at United and will put other big clubs off bringing in a promising PL manager over a big name one from abroad.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The above may or may not be true.

What also may be true is that GP is the 4th lowest paid manager in the league, something that he will have agreed to but probably doesn't feel great when Dyche, Bruce, Parker & Hodgson are all (apparently) on three times his salary and in similar positions in the league. Paying (relative) peanuts isn't a great way to reward loyalty.

Spurs apparently paid £15 million for Jose. However broke they are, they are likely to be paying at least £5 million a year to the new manager.

Obviously these amounts are just what is in the media and may not be accurate.

But unlike the others GPott has/had a 6 year deal that I'm sure has pay rises and tidy bonuses built in.

Going to Spurs just because they have to pay a shite load of cash to get you there, for me, pretty much ices the 'not now' cake.

SAC

May 21, 2014
But unlike the others GPott has/had a 6 year deal that I'm sure has pay rises and tidy bonuses built in.

Going to Spurs just because they have to pay a shite load of cash to get you there, for me, pretty much ices the 'not now' cake.

I still don't think he will be offered the job but I do think he would take it if he was (and the clubs could agree on compensation).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I still don't think he will be offered the job but I do think he would take it if he was (and the clubs could agree on compensation).

Fair dos.

I don't think he would, I think he'd stick with what he's got now, backing himself to be all but guaranteed one of those jobs in 12 months time.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
It was pechettino at spurs

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
He was shafted at Swansea tbf, he was sold a pup.

We have given him everything he's wanted, apart from maybe a warchest!!

Would be hard to turn down spurs but I think it would be a mistake. Apart from kane Son and Bale they really aren't that much better than us.

Bale won't stay and Son and Kane want out !!!

As well as that they're broke and expect a top 4 finish. No wonder decent managers won't touch them with a barge pole.
Interesting analysis haven’t they just sacked a top manager? Can’t really see anyone signing Kane when Halland and Mbappe are on the market and both have a few years on Kane.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
To me this does all rather feel like some posters here have drunk the Spurs Coolaid.

Spurs aren't the historied club they claim to be - In many ways they are Southern Everton. (who recently caught lightening in a bottle)
In the future who knows, but because of the above the future won't come soon enough for many inside and outside of the club.

The dream is in 12 months time GPott wouldn't lower himself to manage Spurs.
The reality is in 12 months time GPott has proven himself good enough to manager a bigger club.

The possibility is in 12 months time their new manager has been sacked for not delivering, despite:-

Overhauling the first XI.
Not having Kane & Son.
Quietened down the very angry fans.
&
having a fairly nondescript season just in the top 10.

Bung all that together and GPott may well be asking for a lift and he could do rather well for himself.

I just don't see it now.

Good lord.. Stat Bro and I agree on something.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Fair dos.

I don't think he would, I think he'd stick with what he's got now, backing himself to be all but guaranteed one of those jobs in 12 months time.

I'm with [MENTION=29514]SAC[/MENTION]. If Spurs approach him, he'd have to go to test himself at a higher level or else be called a bottler (and the money would be too much to turn down too probably).

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I doubt if he will get the Tottenham job but perhaps more interestingly if Rodgers were to get it (and I see he is the bookies favourite) would he get a job at Leicester ? Now that to my mind is entirely possible.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I doubt if he will get the Tottenham job but perhaps more interestingly if Rodgers were to get it (and I see he is the bookies favourite) would he get a job at Leicester ? Now that to my mind is entirely possible.

This is why I really hope they hire someone from Europe!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
A front three of Kane, Son, Alli v Maupay, Welbeck, Trossard
Plus a load more dosh you would have to be mad to turn it down.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Levy’s next managerial appointment has to be spot on otherwise he is screwed. Mourinho was a unsurprisingly a disaster and the debacle that was the super league has put him in a very bad position. I suspect it will be a well known European manager with an impressive CV. Safe hands ...... rather than a risk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

1. Everton are currently playing in an antiquated stadium; Tottenham are in a huge, state of the art stadium.
2. Everton last one a trophy 26 years ago; Spurs have won 2 since them and appeared in a Champions League final.
3. Everton have not finished above Liverpool for 8 years; Spurs are likely to finish above Arsenal for the fifth season in a row.
4. Spurs have finished in the top 6 for 11 seasons in a row, and qualified for Champions League five times.

A better analogy would be to say Spurs are the England of the Premier League. The glory days were in the sixties, they've flattered to deceive on a number of occasions, they are excellent at qualifying and have had some world class players but always fall short when it matters.

Despite not winning stuff, Spurs are still a huge club. However, Daniel Levy is not the best chairman to work with and will not spend what it takes to challenge the clubs owner by oligarchs and middle eastern states. When he has splashed the cash he wasted it (the Bale money, Ndombele, Sissoko).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here