Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sean Penn back Argentina over Falklands...

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Commander as I said the only reason we have the Islands is through force, we took it. As to your rather glib view on "big bad Colonialists" just travel further up the Americas to see what our lovely Empire was doing to the native populations at the same time when we originally took the Falkland island's. Land was being seized in the name of the king and one of the darkest events in human history took place, the moving of people from Africa as slaves to get sugar on our table. If it wasn't our Navy it was the trade merchants, "Big bad Colonialist" think about what your saying.
Also i realise my view maybe in a minority of one, well two i think i can count on Sean but they are that, my view's i have no more to add or argue.
So yes we are left in a difficult situation ownership over a set of Islands that have been fought over for hundreds of years, sure we won the last battle but in my view in a modern world we have no moral ownership to a group of Islands so far away. One solution would be give the Island independence no ties of ownership from Britain or Argentina they will shortly have masses of money from oil. It may well become one of the richest set of Islands on the planet but maybe that is exactly why Argentina and Britain are fighting their own corner.

What do you mean we took the islands by force? Who did we take it from? The penguins?

I fail to see what this has to do with the slave trade or our actions further up the Americas a very long time ago. Are you saying that because we did some terrible things there, we should hand over the Falklands to Argentina? Argentina has done some pretty terrible things as well you know. Maybe they should hand us Patagonia? That's about as relevant an argument.

The island's inhabitants don't want independence, they want to be governed by Britain. How is that a solution? Britain doesn't want that, the Falklanders don't want that, and Argentina doesn't want that. At the moment, two out of the three parties are happy. Your solution makes three out of the three parties UNHAPPY.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
perhaps if there was ever a suggestion that we should give the Falklands to Argentina (who historically have NO valid claim on it) we could appeal to the jolly old Human Rights court on the grounds that British Falkland Island citizens are at risk of being tortured (something for which Argentina does have a track record). Gotta be a winner surely :)

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I would be willing to hand the Falkands over to Argentina in return for a lifetime supply of Argentinian steak and women to Britain.

Anyone who has been there will strongly agree.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Patagonia was just the same as England invading Scotland and Ireland for that matter. The reason i brought up slavery was as i said your glib "big bad colonialist" statement. I suggest independence because Argentina does has have history of ownership over the Islands which they are geographically closed to. They also owned the Islands under the title of the United Provence of South America which became Argentina, the British have had ownership and are are currently in one now. Both are powerful countries and Argentina will get stronger and more developed. Neither country gains from Independence that is the whole point.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Sean Penn is bang on the money,the only reason we are getting heat is because we are the current owners. Its changed hands more times then Portsmouth FC, from the Dutch to the French to the British to the Spanish, back to the British with Argentina then the Brits thought they would have it ourselves Argies tried to get it back in the 80s but it was politically good for Thatcher career to stand on this issue. The Islands have always been a key strategical point for Naval and trade routes around Cape Horn. It was based on Imperialism and expansion and we have no more ownership over it then the the other countries who were defeated and expelled as we did to them. We are now dealing with situations like this created by our for fathers and driven by a Imperialist and economic belief in ownership, India being a classic example. We have no more right to these islands over 8000 miles away then we did back then. I dare say before the Dutch arrived there was probably an indigenous population who were the true owners long since forgotten in the hundreds of years of musket fire and cannons that followed.

Your comments don't really help though do they. Who or what determines international boundaries. Where does Argentina end and Chile start. Where does the US end and Mexico or Canada ? Look at Europe, how many of the current boundaries were in existence in the middle of the nineteenth century. Germany was made of over 30 different states and Italy probably just as many. Virtually every civilisation in history has at one time or another tried to conquer another it's just that some were better at it than others. Another thing is that at the time the Falklands were discovered by Europeans, they were uninhabited so perhaps the current inhabitants should have the right to self determination!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You are right it was Spain being granted land by the United Provences of South America (Argentina).

So you're saying that Bolivia and Uruguay have equal claims with Argentina as they were the other two countries in the United Provences?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Your comments don't really help though do they. Who or what determines international boundaries. Where does Argentina end and Chile start. Where does the US end and Mexico or Canada ? Look at Europe, how many of the current boundaries were in existence in the middle of the nineteenth century. Germany was made of over 30 different states and Italy probably just as many. Virtually every civilisation in history has at one time or another tried to conquer another it's just that some were better at it than others. Another thing is that at the time the Falklands were discovered by Europeans, they were uninhabited so perhaps the current inhabitants should have the right to self determination!

Self determination is a lovely idea but very simplistic. There are to many political and economical interested being played out as has always been the case on the Falkland Islands this is why so many countries have tried to secure ownership over it.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Crawley_Station_01_(07-07-2007).JPG

OR

mauritius_l.gif

WHY, Diego Garcians, WHY? :ohmy:
Is that a bit of you Edna:D

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
So you're saying that Bolivia and Uruguay have equal claims with Argentina as they were the other two countries in the United Provences?

As i said Thunder Bolt they had ownership over the islands as have we which has changed hands many times, what moral imperative do we have today to say its British, that the Spanish or Dutch, French or the United Pro didn't have in the past? This is my last post on the subject I feel it should be independent.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As i said Thunder Bolt they had ownership over the islands as have we which has changed hands many times, what moral imperative do we have today to say its British, that the Spanish or Dutch, French or the United Pro didn't have in the past? This is my last post on the subject I feel it should be independent.

How is ownership defined? Proximity to the nearest country or inhabited?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As i said Thunder Bolt they had ownership over the islands as have we which has changed hands many times, what moral imperative do we have today to say its British, that the Spanish or Dutch, French or the United Pro didn't have in the past?
So you're saying that in the past, other countries had as much moral imperative as we do now. Fine, so according to that, we currently have the highest moral imperative.
I feel it should be independent.
If it were independent, the islanders could do what they wanted. If they then wanted to join with another country, they could. So if they chose to join Britain, we'd then be in the situation we're in now.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Gosh, I do hope the US will be vacating Puerto Rico, Samoa, Guam, Hawaii, Diego Garcia and all the other pointless islands they control too then. Oh, and let us not forget Guantanamo Bay too.

Penn's probably got a movie to film in Argentina or something.

I believe we can add Grenada to your list there Edna....even though it was part of the Commonwealth when Clint and the boys invaded it !

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
sean penn is a f***ing wanker,only hit people that wouldn't hit back

as i said,sean penn is a f***ing wanker!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Gosh, I do hope the US will be vacating Puerto Rico, Samoa, Guam, Hawaii, Diego Garcia and all the other pointless islands they control too then. Oh, and let us not forget Guantanamo Bay too.

Penn's probably got a movie to film in Argentina or something.

this. he's presumbly that group of Americans (basically all of them) that believe that if you dont call an overseas territory a "colony" it isnt one.

(though note Diego Garcia is actually ours, leased to them as a large static aircraft carrier.)

Phil B

Jul 27, 2004
Ifield, Crawley
(though note Diego Garcia is actually ours, leased to them as a large static aircraft carrier.)

Shhh! Don't tell them that.

They've spent the last 3 years trying to fix the steering ....

airman

Patriae Fidus
Jan 25, 2012
Salisbury Plain
Sean Penn can pucker up and kiss my arris. He only ever made two half decent films: The Game, and Casualties of War - and he played an arsehole in both. Typecast much?

As for the woolley bloody liberal left committee intent on finding historical loopholes to badmouth their country and with bleeding heart hand over Sovereign Territory to whoever fancies making a claim - You are indicative of EVERYTHING that has gone wrong in this once great nation of ours over the past couple of decades. Far too much tippie toeing around trying not to cause offence.

Man the f*** up.

The Falkland Islanders (or 'Bennies' to those of us who have been there) are proud of their British heritage and want to be left alone as is. They are BRITISH and anyone who is rightful thinking would fight to the last to defend them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here