Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sean Penn back Argentina over Falklands...

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Ironically he used to smack around the woman who went on to play Evita Peron.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No different to the Falkand Islands being populated by mainly British immigrants. .

Technically, I think you'll find the Falkland Islands are populated mainly by sheep and penguins, and seabirds, and THEN British descendants.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Gosh, I do hope the US will be vacating Puerto Rico, Samoa, Guam, Hawaii, Diego Garcia and all the other pointless islands they control too then. Oh, and let us not forget Guantanamo Bay too.

Penn's probably got a movie to film in Argentina or something.

Diego Garcia belongs to us

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
This has the square root of f*** all to do with Sean f***ing Penn. I really dislike the smarmy little git and wish he'd do the world a favour and jump off beach head. Tosspot.

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

But we allowed the Americans to use it as a base/ammunition dump I believe?

Loads of the Diego Garcians now live in Crawley, trivia fans.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Thanks for that. So what's your solution? Hand the island's inhabitants over to a country who they want nothing to do with?

And as for your total guess at there being an indigenous population that the big bad Colonialists supressed- there wasn't.

Argentina is mainly populated by Spanish, Portugese and Italian immigrants. No different to the Falkand Islands being populated by mainly British immigrants. So Argentina can f*** off, the islands are no more theirs than they are ours, and the people that live there want nothing to do with them. They're 500 miles away from Argentina and have nothing in common with them.

Commander as I said the only reason we have the Islands is through force, we took it. As to your rather glib view on "big bad Colonialists" just travel further up the Americas to see what our lovely Empire was doing to the native populations at the same time when we originally took the Falkland island's. Land was being seized in the name of the king and one of the darkest events in human history took place, the moving of people from Africa as slaves to get sugar on our table. If it wasn't our Navy it was the trade merchants, "Big bad Colonialist" think about what your saying.
So yes we are left in a difficult situation ownership over a set of Islands that have been fought over for hundreds of years, sure we won the last battle but in my view in a modern world we have no moral ownership to a group of Islands so far away. One solution would be give the Island independence no ties of ownership from Britain or Argentina they will shortly have masses of money from oil. It may well become one of the richest set of Islands on the planet but maybe that is exactly why Argentina and Britain are fighting their own corner.
Also i realise my view maybe in a minority of one, well two i think i can count on Sean but they are that, my view's i have no more to add or argue.

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

After the indigenous population was forcibly removed from the Chagos Archipelago island chain and shipped to Mauritius , we arranged a lease on Diego Garcia so the Americans could have a strategic military base in the Indian Ocean Region.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Commander as I said the only reason we have the Islands is through force, we took it. As to your rather glib view on "big bad Colonialists" just travel further up the Americas to see what our lovely Empire was doing to the native populations at the same time when we originally took the Falkland island's. Land was being seized in the name of the king and one of the darkest events in human history took place, the moving of people from Africa as slaves to get sugar on our table. If it wasn't our Navy it was the trade merchants, "Big bad Colonialist" think about what your saying.
So yes we are left in a difficult situation ownership over a set of Islands that have been fought over for hundreds of years, sure we won the last battle but in my view in a modern world we have no moral ownership to a group of Islands so far away. One solution would be give the Island independence no ties of ownership from Britain or Argentina they will shortly have masses of money from oil.

But everyone on the islands WANTS to be part of the UK. Would you still force them into independence?

Of course colonialism was often responsible for outrageous acts and practices. But we didn't take the Falklands by force. Once every 20 years a nation would sail past and stick a flag on them. Argentina is the nearest sovereign country true. By that logic, you'll force the Channel Islands to be French.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
But we allowed the Americans to use it as a base/ammunition dump I believe?

Loads of the Diego Garcians now live in Crawley, trivia fans.

I bet some of them are regretting not going back to Port Louis after arriving here to protest against not being allowed to return to Diego Garcia.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
back to the British with Argentina then the Brits thought they would have it ourselves Argies tried to get it back in the 80s but it was politically good for Thatcher career to stand on this issue.
WTF? Can you post a link showing when we shared it with Argentina, and who lived there at that time.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I bet some of them are regretting not going back to Port Louis after arriving here to protest against not being allowed to return to Diego Garcia.

I've often thought that. Crawley or Mauritius? It's a toughie.

Met plenty of them when I worked at Gatwick, as a lot of them have jobs there.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
But everyone on the islands WANTS to be part of the UK. Would you still force them into independence?

Of course colonialism was often responsible for outrageous acts and practices. But we didn't take the Falklands by force. Once every 20 years a nation would sail past and stick a flag on them. Argentina is the nearest sovereign country true. By that logic, you'll force the Channel Islands to be French.

Without wishing to go on, i do appreciate your more measured tone. It is not an easy situation and many examples can be brought up as counter weights. Basically regarding other islands if there isn't a dispute a solution again in my view is not applicable.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Crawley_Station_01_(07-07-2007).JPG

OR

mauritius_l.gif

WHY, Diego Garcians, WHY? :ohmy:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Perhaps we should hand back the Channel Islands to the French?
Don't we need to hand England back to the Saxons, then they need to hand it back to the Romans, then they need to hand it - oh f*** I'm getting confused, I'm sure the Danish will want it for a bit, but this is Barbarian land. Really, the whole world should f*** off back to Africa, the rest of the world isn't ours.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Don't we need to hand England back to the Saxons, then they need to hand it back to the Romans, then they need to hand it - oh f*** I'm getting confused, I'm sure the Danish will want it for a bit, but this is Barbarian land. Really, the whole world should f*** off back to Africa, the rest of the world isn't ours.

If we're all going back to Africa, bagsy Mauritius. Or the Seychelles please. You can have Chad or Eritrea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here