Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sean Dyche - not your average presser

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
He's got real actual people in the room asking questions.

Potter's are all still via Zoom aren't they?

Pretty sure the people in the room are all club staff. Questions from journos sound like their on zoom – but all on a big screen in front of him...

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
This with bells on. He'll still be the Ginger Dalek to me, but then Daleks have had a bad press for years! :lolol:

The Peter Crouch podcast episode with him on will change your opinion further. He comes across as a great guy and very interesting. Of the Premier League managers you 100% pick him as a drinking buddy over the others.

While on the subject of the Peter Crouch podcast I'd fully recommend the episode with Mike Dean on it. This changed my option on him massively although I still won't forgive his mistake sending Dale off at Boro!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I've been telling everyone on here for years - he's the manager who's least like the impression you get from a 10-second clip on MOTD. Now you've gotta believe me ...

SAC

May 21, 2014
The Peter Crouch podcast episode with him on will change your opinion further. He comes across as a great guy and very interesting. Of the Premier League managers you 100% pick him as a drinking buddy over the others.

While on the subject of the Peter Crouch podcast I'd fully recommend the episode with Mike Dean on it. This changed my option on him massively although I still won't forgive his mistake sending Dale off at Boro!

I was having the usual "which PL manager would you like to go to the pub with?" and "which PL manager you would like to back you up in a fight?" with my sons and Dyche was my choice for both.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
the trouble is, the people asking the 'inane stupid questions' are just doing their job. They never know what sort of answers they might get from even the most straightforward ones.

The job of a reporter is to fill the pages of a particular outlet. A ramble about lookalikes – albeit as entertaining as it was – is not going to cut the mustard with their editors :shrug:

boring..... :)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The trouble is, the people asking the 'inane stupid questions' are just doing their job. They never know what sort of answers they might get from even the most straightforward ones.

The job of a reporter is to fill the pages of a particular outlet. A ramble about lookalikes – albeit as entertaining as it was – is not going to cut the mustard with their editors :shrug:

Sounds like you are a journalist defending the dying ways of a dying profession.

Journalists may never know what sort of answers they might get... but everyone else knows. Journalists are vultures and know a lot about kicking someone who is already down, getting people to speak freely and enjoying a good conversation/QA is not really their thing.

I'm sure that the editors dont find a ramble about lookalikes newsworthy or capable of filling the pages. Kim Kardashians new shoe or Jose Mourinho saying "I like winning football games" are what the news outlets think people want to read. But But its rapidly going from broadsheets to tabloids to clean sheets. You'd think the internet would make up for it, but its the same old, dying, habitual news paper readers. The younger generation apparently sees the work journalists carry out as less interesting than meaningless Youtube videos and Instagram updates.

You are right "they are just doing their job"... poorly, and easily replaceable. Unfortunately for journalists, they are among the less self-critical people on the planet, convinced about their own importance, blindly carrying the profession to extinction.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Don't be deceived by his apparent hail and well met persona in that press conference....the team he sends out to play us on Saturday will be as cynical, uncompromising, playing on the edge of the rules and aggressive and unpleasant as ever.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Sounds like you are a journalist defending the dying ways of a dying profession.

Journalists may never know what sort of answers they might get... but everyone else knows. Journalists are vultures and know a lot about kicking someone who is already down, getting people to speak freely and enjoying a good conversation/QA is not really their thing.

I'm sure that the editors dont find a ramble about lookalikes newsworthy or capable of filling the pages. Kim Kardashians new shoe or Jose Mourinho saying "I like winning football games" are what the news outlets think people want to read. But But its rapidly going from broadsheets to tabloids to clean sheets. You'd think the internet would make up for it, but its the same old, dying, habitual news paper readers. The younger generation apparently sees the work journalists carry out as less interesting than meaningless Youtube videos and Instagram updates.

You are right "they are just doing their job"... poorly, and easily replaceable. Unfortunately for journalists, they are among the less self-critical people on the planet, convinced about their own importance, blindly carrying the profession to extinction.

Yes, I am and I'm not defending it, I'm explaining it.

The rest of your post is, quite frankly, generalised, ill-informed and one-dimensional drivel. What you see in these scenarios isn't a true reflection of what I'm talking about, but I guess the wider picture doesn't suit your agenda.

I could give you countless examples of exemplary journalism – and, obviously, some very bad ones to illustrate the difference – that don't have anything to do with an off-the-cuff line from the manager of a football team or a high profile celebrity. But you're clearly not going to change your mind on your opinion, so I won't even bother.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

I'm going to leap in here and say that that is a poor generalisation about a small number of 'journalists'.

Most journalists know the answer to the question they are about to ask, especially in politics and often in sport, before they've asked it. It depends on the type of press conference, of course.

Most journalists also work to a very high standard. The problem is often the editors, or worse, the owners, whose editorial policy can often be at odds with good journalism - e.g., reporting on something happening in Westminster, or City Hall. If it is dying (and I don't think it is), it is being done by those above them.

In this instance, Sean Dyche's lookey-likeys stuff probably will garner a few column inches just because it's out of character with his public persona, and it was mildly amusing.

That said, some 'journalists' do seem to refer to 'reset' when asking their questions; some think they are being edgy, some think they are being provocative, some do leave me banging my head on the table when I've been at a presser.

Pressers can often be repetitive, especially when there's two in a week, and the manager is often groomed into manager-speak for the sake of something piping up that neither he nor the club wanted publicising.

Silly questions and repetitive answers are a toxic mix. That's why the best stories are usually retrieved from a one-on-one interview.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He's always been a brilliant bloke. There was something a few years ago about how he gets his voice so gruff. He deadpanned about the various gargling materials he used. I'd not want him managing at Brighton; I prefer an idealist as a manager rather than a pragmatist, which he clearly must be to manage that club.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

What a load of bollocks. Journalists nearly always have an idea what the answer to any question is. And having a good conversation is precisely their thing. I hate pressers as you don't want other people to know what angle you're going to take, it's much, much better to have a quick chat later - particularly if there's alcohol involved.

And journalists are very self-critical. They constantly worry as to whether they could have got another contact, whether another quote would have been better, whether there was a better intro etc.

You're right that it's profession in decline but that's because there the web has enabled so much free content. There are some excellent journalists out there but people would rather read something for nothing. It's going to happen to other professions too: accountants and lawyers will be next

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here