Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sean Dyche - not your average presser

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Was he regular Channing Tatum or was a prefix added for further description? I ask as I find that naming of the lookey likey is often expanded to account for a physical characteristic that differs from the original. For example, during the last holiday I went on, we shared a hotel with Fat Shane Warne.
I had a similar encounter with a fat Clarke Gable once. Unfortunately after a few too many beers I took it a step further and informed the looky-likey of his uncanny resemblance to the idol of the silver screen.

After telling him he was "the double of Clarke Gable" I let him momentarily bask in the compliment of being compared to the hollywood sex symbol...before following up with ".... twice the bloody size".
Fortunately he took it in good humour.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Subscription only? Any way round?

Click "Burnley FC" next to the blue tick mark at the very top and it will launch via twitter straight to the relevant section. The link at the bottom takes you to their site where you need to register. So don't do that.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Don't be deceived by his apparent hail and well met persona in that press conference....the team he sends out to play us on Saturday will be as cynical, uncompromising, playing on the edge of the rules and aggressive and unpleasant as ever.
Remind me again why Brighton have had 11 red cards in the last 4 years in the PL, while Burnley have had 1? ???

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Click "Burnley FC" next to the blue tick mark at the very top and it will launch via twitter straight to the relevant section. The link at the bottom takes you to their site where you need to register. So don't do that.

Brilliant! Many thanks.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
As a manager his track record of improving players bought from the Championship and below is very impressive. Each season Burnley fans are told that we should play like a specific team who we are bizarrely compared to but sometimes just because they are a team in the lower half of the Prem.
It used to be Bournemouth, because they begin with the same letter and don't spend much (for some reason this was often missed). It was Norwich another year and more recently Wolves and Villa. They also operate on similar budgets to us..apparently.

Are Burnley physical? Yes but not more so than a number of teams, weirdly being physical in a contact sport used to be an ok thing. Do we play direct? Yep, and we defend well. This should also be punished apparently. Will we be all those things on Saturday, yep. Will Dyche shout and wave his arms. Yep.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Sounds like you are a journalist defending the dying ways of a dying profession.

Journalists may never know what sort of answers they might get... but everyone else knows. Journalists are vultures and know a lot about kicking someone who is already down, getting people to speak freely and enjoying a good conversation/QA is not really their thing.

I'm sure that the editors dont find a ramble about lookalikes newsworthy or capable of filling the pages. Kim Kardashians new shoe or Jose Mourinho saying "I like winning football games" are what the news outlets think people want to read. But But its rapidly going from broadsheets to tabloids to clean sheets. You'd think the internet would make up for it, but its the same old, dying, habitual news paper readers. The younger generation apparently sees the work journalists carry out as less interesting than meaningless Youtube videos and Instagram updates.

You are right "they are just doing their job"... poorly, and easily replaceable. Unfortunately for journalists, they are among the less self-critical people on the planet, convinced about their own importance, blindly carrying the profession to extinction.

Journalism has been pronounced dead many times, but somehow struggles on while people who once got turned down by the sports desk secretary during a bad week of work experience on the Swansea Valley News intone the last rites. Even so, I won't bore you with the question I asked Dyche after a game at St Mary's that got the answer "I'm a lover, not a fighter." But it wasn't "Any knocks, Sean?"

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
As a manager his track record of improving players bought from the Championship and below is very impressive. Each season Burnley fans are told that we should play like a specific team who we are bizarrely compared to but sometimes just because they are a team in the lower half of the Prem.
It used to be Bournemouth, because they begin with the same letter and don't spend much (for some reason this was often missed). It was Norwich another year and more recently Wolves and Villa. They also operate on similar budgets to us..apparently.

Are Burnley physical? Yes but not more so than a number of teams, weirdly being physical in a contact sport used to be an ok thing. Do we play direct? Yep, and we defend well. This should also be punished apparently. Will we be all those things on Saturday, yep. Will Dyche shout and wave his arms. Yep.

Good for you, don't change

(but Joey Barton is still a ****)

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Enjoyed the interview and the refreshingly honest bit about them being pointless. They are, especially as anything useful tends to get embargoed anyway.

As an aside, 'presser' is the most wanky term

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
In his latest press conference, hilarious banter merchant* Sean Dyche once again slipped in his oft repeated mantra about Brighton spending a lot of money. This time he added, 'over the last two and a half seasons', presumably because most of our spend did not happen very recently.

Putting aside the fact that, compared to Burnley's (now departed with £200 million) board, even pre-visitations Ebeneezer Scrooge had spent a lot of money, I wondered how accurate this claim, that he seems to make every time he mentions us, really is.

A quick look at https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/einnahmenausgaben/wettbewerb/GB1 shows that our spend is actually the twelfth highest out of the 25 teams that have spent some time in the top league over the last 2.5 seasons. However, as this includes teams that have not stayed in the division for the entirety of the period, it does not compare like for like spending over the period. Narrowing it down to just those teams who have been in the Premier League for the whole of the last two and a half seasons, our expenditure is the 5th lowest out of 15, spending slightly more than Southampton & Newcastle and significantly more than only Palace & Burnley. Over the last six transfer windows we have spend a combined total that is less than two thirds of our competitors.

Now, that we've finally sold you Dale for next to nothing Sean, could you please knock off the resentment/jealousy/getting in early excuses/spin/outright nonsense?

* - I really didn't buy the 'isn't he funny' spin on the City press conference. He broke out of the robotic call and response that most managers use to straight-bat press conferences and those writing about it got excited that they had something different to write about, but what he said wasn't particularly funny and the didactic way he said it absolutely killed any humour there could have been. Now, had he suggested that they abandoned the conference for a quick game of 'No More Jockeys', I'd have been with him: 'Sean Dyche - No more hypocrites.'

Aug 18, 2013
In his latest press conference, hilarious banter merchant* Sean Dyche once again slipped in his oft repeated mantra about Brighton spending a lot of money. This time he added, 'over the last two and a half seasons', presumably because most of our spend did not happen very recently.

Putting aside the fact that, compared to Burnley's (now departed with £200 million) board, even pre-visitations Ebeneezer Scrooge had spent a lot of money, I wondered how accurate this claim, that he seems to make every time he mentions us, really is.

A quick look at https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/einnahmenausgaben/wettbewerb/GB1 shows that our spend is actually the twelfth highest out of the 25 teams that have spent some time in the top league over the last 2.5 seasons. However, as this includes teams that have not stayed in the division for the entirety of the period, it does not compare like for like spending over the period. Narrowing it down to just those teams who have been in the Premier League for the whole of the last two and a half seasons, our expenditure is the 5th lowest out of 15, spending slightly more than Southampton & Newcastle and significantly more than only Palace & Burnley. Over the last six transfer windows we have spend a combined total that is less than two thirds of our competitors.

Now, that we've finally sold you Dale for next to nothing Sean, could you please knock off the resentment/jealousy/getting in early excuses/spin/outright nonsense?

* - I really didn't buy the 'isn't he funny' spin on the City press conference. He broke out of the robotic call and response that most managers use to straight-bat press conferences and those writing about it got excited that they had something different to write about, but what he said wasn't particularly funny and the didactic way he said it absolutely killed any humour there could have been. Now, had he suggested that they abandoned the conference for a quick game of 'No More Jockeys', I'd have been with him: 'Sean Dyche - No more hypocrites.'
We have also had a chairman bankroll this expenditure without selling any major assets, while pumping money into background staff and numerous players for the development squad - much more than you see at other clubs who aren't lucky to have had a state of the art training ground and stadium. I can see why he would say it - while we might not have taken too many punts on players costing more than £20m, we've absolutely spent a lot of money that has been given to us by the chairman.

I'm not sure why people need to cling on to the illusion that we've done things on the cheap. We (Tony) poached the Director of football of the National side !

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
We have also had a chairman bankroll this expenditure without selling any major assets, while pumping money into background staff and numerous players for the development squad - much more than you see at other clubs who aren't lucky to have had a state of the art training ground and stadium. I can see why he would say it - while we might not have taken too many punts on players costing more than £20m, we've absolutely spent a lot of money that has been given to us by the chairman.

I'm not sure why people need to cling on to the illusion that we've done things on the cheap. We (Tony) poached the Director of football of the National side !

I haven't said that we've done things on the cheap, only that it seems odd that virtually every time he plays us, Dyche says that we've spent a lot of money, but doesn't seem to say it about the ten or eleven teams who have spent more than us.

Aug 18, 2013
I haven't said that we've done things on the cheap, only that it seems odd that virtually every time he plays us, Dyche says that we've spent a lot of money, but doesn't seem to say it about the ten or eleven teams who have spent more than us.
He's probably not a fan of the way we try to hide the fact that we've been bankrolled up the league by a Billionaire and likes to remind people. To be fair it would grate me if i kept hearing about an opposition manager being so brilliant having done things on the cheap when it's not really the case.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
He's probably not a fan of the way we try to hide the fact that we've been bankrolled up the league by a Billionaire and likes to remind people. To be fair it would grate me if i kept hearing about an opposition manager being so brilliant having done things on the cheap when it's not really the case.

The only current EPL manager I have ever heard this being said about is Dyche himself and I wouldn't argue with the fact that he has done an absolutely remarkable job on a comparative shoestring.

However, I think that you are misrepresenting our situation. What have we ever done to hide the fact that our success is totally down to the enormous generosity and smart investment of Tony Bloom? I've never heard any fans or anyone associated with the club say otherwise. In fact, people often go out of their way to thank him and say how uniquely lucky we are to have such a chairman.

Last edited:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
My favourite ever lookalike was on a flight back from Riga. Plane entirely full of mortally hungover stay do survivors. Just in front of me a large contingent are trying to work out who the flight attendant looks like and it's bugging their addled brains that none of them can work out who it is.
"Fat Michael Flatley" I tell them.
Poor sod had to put up with a dozen people doing Riverdance in their seats and having hysterics until we landed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here