Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scott Hogan

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
But its always more of a gamble bringing someone in from overseas, whether they can adapt to the change and the hurly-burly of this division. You might well end up with a right old Colunga. Hogan has already proved he can score goals in this league, and in a fairly mediocre team (yes I'm aware they turned us over on the day, but the table now would bear that out). The service he'd get from our mob would be absolutely fearsome.

I can't see us coming up with the £10m-odd it would take, but IMO he is exactly what we need this season to get us over the line. So in that respect it would certainly be a worthwhile investment. Not my money though is it.

I liked Colunga. If only he'd been played in his rightful position in the middle, rather than wide, I think he would have been every bit as good as Baldock has been this season.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Quite, it needs to be a similar player to Baldock or someone who is similar to Pritchard. Alan Judge/Zack Clough/Bradley Dack.

The January window is quite difficult and I wonder whether we'll sign anyone.

None of those players are similar to Baldock, except the fact they only score a handful of goals in a season

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I thought Brentford got their tactics spot on. I've since learned that they only have one tactic which most other Championship teams have now worked out; long ball to Hogan on the break. They were looking to do this the whole game and the space Bruno is meant to defend was the target area for Hogan to run into.

This won't happen again in the return fixture and they won't score against us.

Meanwhile, unless we plan to play with a speed merchant on the shoulder of the last defender (where Murray likes to position himself), why bother signing Hogan?

4-2-3-1

Hogan touched the ball 26 times, 6 shots, 5 on target, one blocked, 5 inside the box. 2 left footed (scored), 4 right footed.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1084913/Live/England-Championship-2016-2017-Brighton-Brentford

I thought he might have scored another one, of he shot with his left instead of putting it on his favoured right foot.

First goal can from a perfect pass from MacLeod. Miscalculated risk of pushing up two far, understandable after our previous home games. Brentford got a 1-1 draw at Villa in their following game. Not sitting back as they went 1-0 down.

I would prefer a speed merchant on the shoulder of the defender playing deep at times. Especially away from home. 4-4-1-1. It does not fit in with Murray though. I like a mobile larger front target man than Baldock.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
None of those players are similar to Baldock, except the fact they only score a handful of goals in a season

Yes. But That's why I used "or" in my original quote [emoji4]

A championship Baldock level player is not easy to find. ?Wells, but then shouldn't we be trying to improve?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes. But That's why I used "or" in my original quote [emoji4]

A championship Baldock level player is not easy to find. ?Wells, but then shouldn't we be trying to improve?

Lookman.

Would have the advantage of being a striker or a winger and also still young enough not to count towards PL 25 man squad limits.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Norwich have bid 10m for a player (Hogan) who has had 2 serious knee injuries at the age of 24. Combined with the owners rivalry with Bloom this is a non starter.

Too many people obsessing about Lookman because of 1 good game against us. Remember Will Hoskins?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But but what if singing Hogan upsets the the dressing room. :facepalm:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Norwich have bid 10m for a player (Hogan) who has had 2 serious knee injuries at the age of 24. Combined with the owners rivalry with Bloom this is a non starter.

Too many people obsessing about Lookman because of 1 good game against us. Remember Will Hoskins?

Personally I "obsess" about Lookman because when thinking about a 25 man PL squad, then it very likely that we could only fit in 4 wingers and 4 strikers. A player that could play winger or play striker is gold dust. Especially if he is young enough not to count towards the 25 man limit ( Walton and March would now count as above the age limit ).

But yes, he played well against us so must be like Will Hoskins.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Personally I "obsess" about Lookman because when thinking about a 25 man PL squad, then it very likely that we could only fit in 4 wingers and 4 strikers. A player that could play winger or play striker is gold dust. Especially if he is young enough not to count towards the 25 man limit ( Walton and March would now count as above the age limit ).

But yes, he played well against us so must be like Will Hoskins.
There must be hundreds of wingers out there people haven't heard of who aren't going to cost 5m plus like Lookman.

And we're not in the Prem yet.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Lookman.

Would have the advantage of being a striker or a winger and also still young enough not to count towards PL 25 man squad limits.

Though not setting league 1 alight, according to my Charlton friends, possibly lack of motivation.

Good player though and wouldn't disagree, I see him more as a winger.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
There must be hundreds of wingers out there people haven't heard of who aren't going to cost 5m plus like Lookman.

And we're not in the Prem yet.

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Addenda: Baldock touched the ball 29 times v Leeds. (cf. Hogan 26 times v us) I doubt if there is all that much difference between the roles they play?

Both players rely on losing their marker to be effective as does Dwight Gayle. Better policy in my book. Tomer Hemed is more of the target man who actually likes to know where his marker is and can play with his back to goal, which is sometimes more useful and would be better if we have more goalscoring midfielders.

Murray 34 times v Leeds.

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Knee injuries can be a serious problem (unlike hamstrings).

Lookman: when players go past Bruno a few times in a season (almost always with pace) two times in the first half is exceptional.

This season the most memorable occasions when Bruno and the defence were outfoxed was Taylor of Leeds going past on the overlap and getting a cross in. And there was another recent occasion as well. Scott Malone (Fulham) probably.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here