Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Scotland vs England

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Same old same old.

Greilish holding on to the ball in the box trying to win a penalty was the most inspirational thing we tried all game.

So many times we had two or three runners making moves . . . knock it backwards!

We have an array of quality attacking players and we pass the ****ing thing backwards.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
The problem with Grealish is that Southgate has had a year to work out where and how to play him and he hasn't got a clue. Might as well play Mings there.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Same old same old.

Greilish holding on to the ball in the box trying to win a penalty was the most inspirational thing we tried all game.

So many times we had two or three runners making moves . . . knock it backwards!

We have an array of quality attacking players and we pass the ****ing thing backwards.

AH the Gus Poyet years :wink:

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I'm starting to think that the Maguire gamble is starting to seem like a huge mistake for Southgate.

The main problem as I see it tonight was playing both rice and Phillips in midfield and sterling as number 10.

It was clear in the first half that there was no link between our defence and attack lines.
The obvious thing to do would be to replace one of the defensive midfielders with grealish to link up with our attack or replace sterling with grealish.

The fans in the stadium were calling for grealish and the pundits were calling for grealish and Southgate was clearly under pressure to "BRING ON GREALISH FFS".

So Southgate sent on grealish but put him out wide and subsequently grealish was pretty innefective.

So I've been wondering why didn't Southgate deal with the obvious issue of having two defensive midfielders on the pitch?

I think the answer is because he doesn't have confidence in our defenders so he is giving them the added cover of two defensive midfielders as protection and that's why he didn't make the obvious change.

But if he wants to play the two defensive midfielders to help in defense,that's ok.
But if he does that then he needed to replace sterling for grealish to sit in front of rice and Phillips and link up with the attack.
So why did Southgate do this either?
The reason is because Southgate is showing the same blind loyalty to sterling as he is to an obviously unfit Maguire,and it had cost us this evening.
To make it things worse I changed channels in an effort to forget about the footy and braveheart was on channel 5 FFS.
But that was not Southgates fault.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Everyone here now seems to think an up and coming young coach, is now the ONLY acceptable blueprint. So Potter should take over from Southgate.

Italy seem to be playing brilliant, winning football under Mancini, France under Deschamps. Both with a wealth of experience at big clubs and CL football.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Clarke destroyed Southgate with the formation. They were unlucky not to nick it.

Kane has been given so much shit but he was totally isolated. Potter is all about outflanking teams in certain areas of the pitch and would do such a better job than Gareth, Scotland always had more men than us where the ball was. The two defensive midfielders was horrific, as was the fact our full backs could not get forward, because Scotland would not let them.

This match was crying out for a back 3 from England with advanced wing-backs or just a single DM and a front 3 able to use pace and width properly.

What a mess.

We’ll be knocked out as soon as we play a decent team (Germany or Portugal in the next round).

If the FA then come after Potter, they can +*** right off.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'm starting to think that the Maguire gamble is starting to seem like a huge mistake for Southgate.

The main problem as I see it tonight was playing both rice and Phillips in midfield and sterling as number 10.

It was clear in the first half that there was no link between our defence and attack lines.
The obvious thing to do would be to replace one of the defensive midfielders with grealish to link up with our attack or replace sterling with grealish.

The fans in the stadium were calling for grealish and the pundits were calling for grealish and Southgate was clearly under pressure to "BRING ON GREALISH FFS".

So Southgate sent on grealish but put him out wide and subsequently grealish was pretty innefective.

So I've been wondering why didn't Southgate deal with the obvious issue of having two defensive midfielders on the pitch?

I think the answer is because he doesn't have confidence in our defenders so he is giving them the added cover of two defensive midfielders as protection and that's why he didn't make the obvious change.

But if he wants to play the two defensive midfielders to help in defense,that's ok.
But if he does that then he needed to replace sterling for grealish to sit in front of rice and Phillips and link up with the attack.
So why did Southgate do this either?
The reason is because Southgate is showing the same blind loyalty to sterling as he is to an obviously unfit Maguire,and it had cost us this evening.
To make it things worse I changed channels in an effort to forget about the footy and braveheart was on channel 5 FFS.
But that was not Southgates fault.

It is actually quite an impressive feat to have so many midfield and attacking midfielders on the pitch while simultaneously isolating both your defensive midfield and your striker!!! What the **** were they doing?

I thought we were crying our for a 4-3-3 change to leave us one holding midfielder with Mount and Greilish either side of him. Then you have Foden and Sterling either side of Kane (in the hope that this might spark him into life).

But no, its not working . . . lets just carry on and hope it does.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
It is actually quite an impressive feat to have so many midfield and attacking midfielders on the pitch while simultaneously isolating both your defensive midfield and your striker!!! What the **** were they doing?

I thought we were crying our for a 4-3-3 change to leave us one holding midfielder with Mount and Greilish either side of him. Then you have Foden and Sterling either side of Kane (in the hope that this might spark him into life).

But no, its not working . . . lets just carry on and hope it does.

Yes I think that is what Southgate would also have like to have done,but he feels he needs Maguire to be able to do that.

He has gambled on Maguire being fit and he isn't.
And Because Maguire isn't fit ,Southgate is too worried about having just the one defensive midfielder,and the result of that we saw tonight which is our attacking line completely cut off from the supply of our midfield.

If Maguire isn't able to play in our next game or the second round then I worry for our chances ,because Southgate appears to have banked everything on Maguire being fit at some stage.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
It really pisses me off how over rated, slow and shit Kane is as well as being a cheating ****. We really need to find a way of playing without him anywhere near the starting 11. He’s holding us back massively.

I must admit I am the first one to complain about Kane's diving but when he is in an England shirt I do marvel at his ability.

His dive in the first 10 minutes tonight as though Bruce Lee had performed a Kung Fu leg sweep kick was something to behold.

But to be fair to Kane he has been made something of a scapegoat tonight and it wasn't his fault.
Get the ball in the box to Kane and he will score ,but there was simply no service for him tonight.
Grealish should have been in the middle,rashford out wide and Kane would have scored tonight.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yes I think that is what Southgate would also have like to have done,but he feels he needs Maguire to be able to do that.

He has gambled on Maguire being fit and he isn't.
And Because Maguire isn't fit ,Southgate is too worried about having just the one defensive midfielder,and the result of that we saw tonight which is our attacking line completely cut off from the supply of our midfield.

If Maguire isn't able to play in our next game or the second round then I worry for our chances ,because Southgate appears to have banked everything on Maguire being fit at some stage.

If we need two defensive midfielders against Scotchland, how many are we going to need against the bigger teams!!:mad:

May 5, 2020
Sussex
If we need two defensive midfielders against Scotchland, how many are we going to need against the bigger teams!!:mad:

Yes.
Although I was was impressed by Scotland.
But as you say,if we can't get our shit together against the sweaties then I genuinely fear for us against some of the other teams.
Southgate has some big desicions to make methinks.
If we start up for defense then we are inviting attack.
We got away with that against the sweaties but we would suffer against the hands of some of the more clinical attacking sides in the tournament.
It will be interesting to see what Southgate does in our next game.
Unless of course he had changed his identity and escaped to south America to live a quiet life as a aesthetic monk dedicated only to God and whipping himself thrice daily with thorned twigs as penance for failing to get a win against the Scottish HEATHENS.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
The players actually looked scared in case they made a mistake
Almost whatever you do do nut loose ; do not dare do anything that might be daring / exciting and loose the ball.
Reminded me so much of hughton

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
As if there is no pressure from the German and French and Italian fans. Lol

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I must admit I am the first one to complain about Kane's diving but when he is in an England shirt I do marvel at his ability.

His dive in the first 10 minutes tonight as though Bruce Lee had performed a Kung Fu leg sweep kick was something to behold.

Always enjoyed Shearer* going down and winning a free kick when a defender gently nudged his back.

*in an England shirt.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Agree with a lot of this BUT for me Foden was England’s best player
England too slow out the blocks Far too conservative

It is incredibly frustrating that this is the case time after time after bloody time in tournaments (yes I know we reached the semis last time out, but you know what I mean). I envy teams like Italy and how they've played so far. There is absolutely no reason we can't play like that with the players we have. We Never play to our strengths ffs.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Along with most on this thread I am putting last night down to the manager’s tactics and how outthought and outfought we were by Scotland for most of the game.

Question is - are you 100% certain that with the right manager this is a talented bunch of players that could be genuine challengers? Not sure I believe these players are as good as the better foreigners in their teams make them look which is why we always look uncomfortable and on the back foot against decent or very competitive teams in meaningful games :shrug:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Along with most on this thread I am putting last night down to the manager’s tactics and how outthought and outfought we were by Scotland for most of the game.

Question is - are you 100% certain that with the right manager this is a talented bunch of players that could be genuine challengers? Not sure I believe these players are as good as the better foreigners in their teams make them look which is why we always look uncomfortable and on the back foot against decent or very competitive teams in meaningful games :shrug:

Imo it's 100% tactics. These players aren't carried by the foreigners who play around them; they've shown time and time again how good they are for their club sides. We employ the wrong tactics and wrong personnel time and time again - Kane has barely had a touch of the ball in two games ffs and players like foden who has been incredible for City and so carefully managed by Pep looked an absolute shadow of himself last night. And there's no way you can blame a long season as it's the same for most countries and their players.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Imo it's 100% tactics. These players aren't carried by the foreigners who play around them; they've shown time and time again how good they are for their club sides. We employ the wrong tactics and wrong personnel time and time again - Kane has barely had a touch of the ball in two games ffs and players like foden who has been incredible for City and so carefully managed by Pep looked an absolute shadow of himself last night. And there's no way you can blame a long season as it's the same for most countries and their players.

This.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here