Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Scotland vs England

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A really poor pastiche of a mid table Premier League game. Ersatz British football.

Safety first Southgate showed his true colours when he took off Foden. Yes, results trump performance, particularly in tournament football (ask Greece) but the only acceptable result against the Sweaties is a win.

Most worrying is that Kane seems to be playing on ketamine, he's so lethargic, and it's transported its way into the blood systems of many of those around him. Meanwhile Declan Rice conjured prime Dale Stephens.

Awful.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Too much over negativity about the Englan performance. They have virtually qualified do job done. That's all that was needed.

That said. The England players have gone into that game thinking that they just needed to turn up. They had the mindset of playing against a country that has not qualified for a major tournament for over 20 years.

Instead they should have been looking at the players who were in the opposing side and giving them more respect.

Scotland have a nucleus of a decent side but they lack about 4 players in some positions and that's their problem at the moment.

This Tournament came a bit early for Scotland to be truly effective and do anything worthwhile. But they have players like Robertson , Tierney, MC Ginn, Gilmour. All as good as many on the England side. Stephen O' Donnell is much better player than I thought he was an MC Tominay is fairly decent. They are a few places short of being a good team but there a few other good youngsters coming through like Turnball and Alan Campbell and Ryan Gauld any Ryan Porteous. So in about 3 or 4 years there will be a larger number of good influential players in the Scotland side but now I'd just too early for some of those youngsters.

England just didn't give the players Scotland enough respect tonight. I don't think they will make the same mistake in the next games but tonight was good enough for them to get the job done.

They are a fairly good side are England. Can they live with sides like France or Belgium enough to win the competition. Probably not but tonight's poor attitude and poor performance isn't the end of the world.

As for Scotland. Will they qualify ? Probably not. There is just no quality or composure up front and that will be their downfall. That along with a poor goalkeeper limits their abilities.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
A really poor pastiche of a mid table Premier League game. Ersatz British football.

Safety first Southgate showed his true colours when he took off Foden. Yes, results trump performance, particularly in tournament football (ask Greece) but the only acceptable result against the Sweaties is a win.

Most worrying is that Kane seems to be playing on ketamine, he's so lethargic, and it's transported its way into the blood systems of many of those around him. Meanwhile Declan Rice conjured prime Dale Stephens.

Awful.

Weird the way Albion fans see things!!! Pub I was in “why has Rice turned into Stephens” !

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Thought we were going to smash them tonight.

Scotland put in a performance far beyond their ability because of the occasion.

It's why football is the beautiful game.

Well done Scotland. Well done England in all but qualifying.

Capability is they key measure i.e. the delivering of that ability. You can be the best technical player in the world but no use if you have no heart or energy.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
A pleasing point and after two games almost certainly through to the Round of 16. Wel done to Scotland on an excellent performance, the dream of all 3 nations through to the Round of 16 is very much alive.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Have to say I’m happy, expected us to lose 3-0 so superb over performance from the lads. My thoughts overall
Scotland felt like Brighton - tight at back controlled game but no chance of scoring
We need to sign Billy Gilmour - that boy is going to be a super star and would Lyndon Dykes be worth a punt?
I thought Mings was your best player but that was because he was up against a classic British centre forward (dykes) - he is not good enough for international football and Coady or White needs to play ahead of him (I’m not even mentioning the numpty from Man U)
Why Sterling plays over Grealish is beyond me, Sterling has under performed since March, whilst Grealish makes things happen
Fodder appears to believe in his own press
I know TAA is injured but to even think why he isn’t England’s #1 right back without thinking is beyond me - he just makes chances (it’s like having a winger at rb) - in fact he would replace Rice or Phillips and improve your midfield
Jordan Henderson status must improve every game he doesn’t play
You all know you’ll get out of the group you’ll beat Sweden of whoever, watch the media hype the team up and then be taken apart at QF by ….well it doesn’t matter
Steve Clarke just needs a striker and a #10to take Scotland to the next level (sounds familiar) and I’m concerned over the age of our keepers

Roll on Croatia game

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We need to sign Billy Gilmour - that boy is going to be a super star and would Lyndon Dykes be worth a punt?
Fair post - but just a couple of comments on this line.
Sign Billy Gilmour? Great - except he plays for Chelsea and they might not want to let him go!
Lyndon Dykes worth a punt? - sorry, no.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Too much over negativity about the Englan performance. They have virtually qualified do job done. That's all that was needed.

That said. The England players have gone into that game thinking that they just needed to turn up. They had the mindset of playing against a country that has not qualified for a major tournament for over 20 years.

Instead they should have been looking at the players who were in the opposing side and giving them more respect.

Scotland have a nucleus of a decent side but they lack about 4 players in some positions and that's their problem at the moment.

This Tournament came a bit early for Scotland to be truly effective and do anything worthwhile. But they have players like Robertson , Tierney, MC Ginn, Gilmour. All as good as many on the England side. Stephen O' Donnell is much better player than I thought he was an MC Tominay is fairly decent. They are a few places short of being a good team but there a few other good youngsters coming through like Turnball and Alan Campbell and Ryan Gauld any Ryan Porteous. So in about 3 or 4 years there will be a larger number of good influential players in the Scotland side but now I'd just too early for some of those youngsters.

England just didn't give the players Scotland enough respect tonight. I don't think they will make the same mistake in the next games but tonight was good enough for them to get the job done.

They are a fairly good side are England. Can they live with sides like France or Belgium enough to win the competition. Probably not but tonight's poor attitude and poor performance isn't the end of the world.

As for Scotland. Will they qualify ? Probably not. There is just no quality or composure up front and that will be their downfall. That along with a poor goalkeeper limits their abilities.

Ignored by everyone else here, analytical Souness explained it well, as usual. Clarke set Scotland up as a proper football team. Basics never change at any level. Three in midfield in this case to win the ball and all battles, 10 players working their socks off.

Even the great Barca and Ajax teams had 10 outfield players who put in an incredible work-rate.

Southgate got it all wrong.

Two deep lying DM’s who can’t pass over an array of distances. A void in front of them controlled by the combative Scottish trio.

Mount/Sterling/Foden harried from the first second, they didn’t like it. All very disparate, not a team hunting in 2’s and 3’s.

The England team hasn’t got goals in it, other than slow Kane, painfully low stats.

You do know that France, Belgium and Italy are far better than England really!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Have to say I’m happy, expected us to lose 3-0 so superb over performance from the lads. My thoughts overall
Scotland felt like Brighton - tight at back controlled game but no chance of scoring
I thought Mings was your best player but that was because he was up against a classic British centre forward (dykes) - he is not good enough for international football and Coady or White needs to play ahead of him (I’m not even mentioning the numpty from Man U)
Why Sterling plays over Grealish is beyond me, Sterling has under performed since March, whilst Grealish makes things happen
I know TAA is injured but to even think why he isn’t England’s #1 right back without thinking is beyond me - he just makes chances (it’s like having a winger at rb) - in fact he would replace Rice or Phillips and improve your midfield
You all know you’ll get out of the group you’ll beat Sweden of whoever, watch the media hype the team up and then be taken apart at QF by ….well it doesn’t matter
Steve Clarke just needs a striker and a #10to take Scotland to the next level (sounds familiar) and I’m concerned over the age of our keepers

Roll on Croatia game

We have an excellent No 10 - David Turnball can play that role superbly well but defensively he is poor and loses his " opposing runner " . He is still young though and that will improve. Scotland will have a decent nucleus of players with decent experience in a few years.

What needs to happen though is. Players like Robertson, Tierney and Gilmour need to stop letting their Clubs pull them out of Scotland Squads in the Qualifiers leading up to the Big Tournaments. Until that stops Scotland won't be able to start climbing the World Rankings to avoid difficult draws in future competitions when these good youngsters start hitting their peak in a few years.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006

Roll on Croatia game

Agree with a lot of this BUT for me Foden was England’s best player
England too slow out the blocks Far too conservative

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
I thought we looked so lethargic the players have done some kind of intense fitness work to shock the players’ bodies and reset.

Or we’re going for second in the group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Awful.

I know he's not too popular around here, but if Southgate continues with this clueless selection, turgid rubbish and flunks out early, the FA may just have an ideal candidate, out of work with zero compensation.

Smug Eddie would actually be a great appointment for the England job imho, tactically light years ahead of Southgate, an FA type man and a decent modern manager who'd get more out of this crop of talented young players.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
There's a slightly weird arrogance about this team. Kane strolling around like he owns the place but utterly ineffectual. We will qualify but we are way, way off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here