Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Scariest Horror Movie?

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Watched The Shining on tv on Saturday - still genuinely disturbing.

Not sure it’s pure ‘horror’ but The Lighthouse is the most terrifying film I’ve seen recently - now on Netflix. Suspect it’s better on the big screen - I’d sit close to the tv to give a similar impact.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Glad you said that, I didn't sleep well after that one.

I'm fully prepared to admit to being a complete pussy re horror films

Never watch them and don't understand the fascination with such macabre things. You can't unsee what you watch, so I don't burn that shit into my brain.

Sooner watch a crappy chick flick with the Mrs than people getting hacked up or killed in brutal ways.

Each to their own I guess 😂

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
We watched Host the other day and thought it was brilliant.

Low budget, UK set coronavirus quarantine horror. It's a Zoom séance that goes predictably awry.

The premise might sound shit but it's about 58 minutes long so what have you got to lose?

Sounds quite interesting to be fair

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Still a big fan of the 1970's stuff. The Omen, Rosemary's Baby etc. They manage to create a real feeling of unease and dread without using easy jump scares...that modern horror makers rely on (aware of glaring irony here obvs!!)

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Just watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer (not the film). It’s bloody brilliant.

Cordelia
Anya
Darla
:drool:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I remember watching hammer house of horror as a kid, then using it as an excuse to stay up and watch the big match so I weasn't scared at bed time. Winning!

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Still a big fan of the 1970's stuff. The Omen, Rosemary's Baby etc. They manage to create a real feeling of unease and dread without using easy jump scares...that modern horror makers rely on (aware of glaring irony here obvs!!)

Agree with this - The Omen, Amityville Horror, Rosemary's Baby, The Exorcist. Also the 1982 film 'Poltergeist' (the swimming pool/human skulls scene near the end scared the life out of the whole cinema, the horror made worse because it was on a big screen).

Not sure if it is classified as a horror film as such, but my joint favourite film of all time (along with Pulp Fiction) is 'The Wicker Man' - the 1973 UK version with Christopher Lee and Edward Woodward. Brilliant dialogue, sinister villagers and macabre story.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
I thought the original Alien film was pretty scary. The John Hurt scene particularly disturbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Train to Busan (subtitles)

Great list, and this in particular I've been recommended multiple times, I've still not gotten around to watching it - maybe this weekend.

Have you seen Alive (another Korean one recently on Netflix)? I've also been recommended this, and the trailer seems quite decent.

My recommendation is 'Clown'. Not the scariest film in this thread by any means, and not even rated that well on RT. But it's relatively unique, worth a watch imo.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Trying to think of anything post 2010 because the ones before are pretty obvious, I love horror movies:

Hellhouse, LLC
Hereditary
Sinister
The Strangers
The Visit
It Follows
The Cabin in the Woods (not pure horror but WELL worth it)
Oculus
The Conjuring
The Babadook
Insidious
Train to Busan (subtitles)
Creep
Split
V/H/S
A Quiet Place
The VVitch
Circle
You're Next
The Babysitter
It Comes At Night
Midsommar

I am sure I am missing loads but they're the ones I could immediately think of.

Great list!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here