Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Scariest Horror Movie?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Still a massive fan of the understated creeping sense of dread of The Blair Witch Project - especially on the most poundshop of poundshops budgets. Astounding piece of work IMHO :bowdown:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
French film Raw is very good. Not what you’re expecting.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Horror Films that don't involve the supernatural and that don't rely heavily on special effects

Wicker Man (the original and not the abysmal re-make)

and two from the Master

Psycho
The Birds

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Psycho

For years I would lock the bathroom door before taking a shower!

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Trying to think of anything post 2010 because the ones before are pretty obvious, I love horror movies:

Hellhouse, LLC
Hereditary
Sinister
The Strangers
The Visit
It Follows
The Cabin in the Woods (not pure horror but WELL worth it)
Oculus
The Conjuring
The Babadook
Insidious
Train to Busan (subtitles)
Creep
Split
V/H/S
A Quiet Place
The VVitch
Circle
You're Next
The Babysitter
It Comes At Night
Midsommar

I am sure I am missing loads but they're the ones I could immediately think of.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Exorcist and similar films don’t scare me, because I’m a complete cynic of spiritualism etc (until proved otherwise).

Instead, The Shining, Halloween and the Elm Street types films are terrifying for me, as I hate the unknown before a crazed murderer jumps out. The suspense followed by an attack.

KeithDublin

Aug 23, 2019
A lot of good ones already mentioned. I'd add Kill List, and The Devils Business. I thought Ghost Stories was pretty decent too.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I was watching the conjuring at home by myself and there is a scene in the cellar where the girl asked the 'evil presence' to make it self known at which time next doors cat jumped at the patio door....

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Another vote for Ringu. Saw it at the Duke of Yorks, years ago. Didn't know anything about it at the time.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I find the horror genre a bit naff to be honest. But the film which made me wince the most in the past decade or so was Hard Candy.

FFS, I thought I'd successfully erased that film from my mind, so thanks for that. That testicle scene, oh the humanity. :ohmy:

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Nosferatu from the 1920's has to be my favourite, for me they totally nailed the atmospheric feel. And it has the scariest vampire/'baddie' in any film IMO.

Screenshot 2020-10-21 at 14.36.19.png

Back in modern times though, I especially like House of 1000 Corpses.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Midsommar and Get Out both very good recent additions, although i imagine some may not describe them as horror films.

Going to add these to the to watch list. Both look very interesting. I think horror has lots of sub genres so I don't see how anyone can dispute it.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I found The Descent absolutely petrifying, but I think that was mainly down to my own claustrophobia and being drunk at the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here