Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sayings the younger gen don't understand

Speaking to my brother a few weeks ago and he said he was offered something from his boys (young 20s), he said thanks and said can I have one for Ron and took another. They looked at him in bewildement, conferred with each other for a few minutes and asked in all sincerity 'who the hell is Ron'. He explained Ron means lateR-ON. Of couse they started to laugh and said he was ancient for using that term. I spoke to a few people at work today about this term and people under the age of 40-42ish hadn't a clue what I was talking about either but older people said they used this term back in the day and still do sometimes. One 50ish bloke also said Ron and Tom for lateR-ON and TOM-ORROW. Going the other way sometimes I can't understand youth text speak with abbrevations and cap letters, I have to ask my daughers. What sayings did you use when younger (1970-90s) that the younger gen just don't get?

..One of my faves - will have to try it on the Young Pottings. They never fail to laugh when they come to me complaining about some minor ailment or something and I dust off the old Tommy Cooper classic "does it hurt when you do that? ......don't do it then!"

..Actually they do usually.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
"Excuse me" seems to have disappeared, when someone wants to pass by you in a corridor, or shop, or station, Or anywhere, the phrase seems to have been replaced with "sorry". ****ing ignorant *****

Not quite. They've no idea how to use the phrase, though.

The young lad in our row who went out and back about 6 times during the game last Saturday did actually say "excuse me" the first time. Unfortunately, he then pushed past before I had time to react. Every other time, he just said "me again" when he was already half way past.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
May I have.

Nowadays, all to often it's 'Can I get?' Aaarrgggghhh!

I read somewhere that "Can I get" is an Americanism that has somehow crept in over here, apparently because they can't understand the concept of "May I have". To an American, 'may I have', sounds like you want what ever it is for nothing, where as 'Can I get', implies you are going to then pay for it.

Oh, and I also bloody hate the saying.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Not quite. They've no idea how to use the phrase, though.

The young lad in our row who went out and back about 6 times during the game last Saturday did actually say "excuse me" the first time. Unfortunately, he then pushed past before I had time to react. Every other time, he just said "me again" when he was already half way past.

Perhaps a little reposte along the lines of " A bladder the size of a pea? Such a shame in a young man" would have got his attention and made him think of leaving so many times.:wink:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I read somewhere that "Can I get" is an Americanism that has somehow crept in over here, apparently because they can't understand the concept of "May I have". To an American, 'may I have', sounds like you want what ever it is for nothing, where as 'Can I get', implies you are going to then pay for it.

Oh, and I also bloody hate the saying.[/QUOTE

Could be the German influence on the USA, Germans say "Kann ich bekommen" - can I get? I hate it too

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I thought a generation was around every 7 years!
I feel about 108 at the minute though. Like the sorry and always maladious Nicholas Witchell.

I always thought a generation was 20-25 years ish....Grandparents in 60's....Parents in late 30's / early 40's...kids in teens.
Take your point about NW....he looks like the world has passed him by and he sits there with his news items thinking...' why didn't I go for it a bit more when I was younger. Sure, I'm regarded as a senior statesman now, a safe, staid and mature pair of hands buts its so ****ing boring. I just want to go up to that gorgeous bit of stuff on the ' Middle-East ' desk and say..." I want you, up against the photocopier...I know you're into older men...Jeremy Bowen told me "...I just can't do it though...its the same when Fiona Bruce comes sidling over....I always think...phworr...I could roger you senseless buts its no good...they all look at me as the father figure. I don't want to be that. I want a reputation like Bowen. He's got an eye for the ladies and they know it. He's a player..I'm not...I've always played safe...well not anymore...I've had enough...time for change....
" Good Evening...this is the BBC news and I'm Nicky Witchell "

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Take your point about NW....he looks like the world has passed him by and he sits there with his news items thinking...' why didn't I go for it a bit more when I was younger. Sure, I'm regarded as a senior statesman now, a safe, staid and mature pair of hands buts its so ****ing boring. I just want to go up to that gorgeous bit of stuff on the ' Middle-East ' desk and say..." I want you, up against the photocopier...I know you're into older men...Jeremy Bowen told me "...I just can't do it though...its the same when Fiona Bruce comes sidling over....I always think...phworr...I could roger you senseless buts its no good...they all look at me as the father figure. I don't want to be that. I want a reputation like Bowen. He's got an eye for the ladies and they know it. He's a player..I'm not...I've always played safe...well not anymore...I've had enough...time for change....
" Good Evening...this is the BBC news and I'm Nicky Witchell "

Nicholas Witchell, finally cracking on Newsnight last night (before taking Fiona Bruce into a darkened alley):

[yt]WINDtlPXmmE[/yt]

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
'Don't go all lemon on me, ya speccy four eyed mug!', lad at work just raised an eyebrow in a very quizzical fashion........

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
We used to say " chin rub " to a good mate if we knew they were lying, if someone was lying but we didn't want to offend them, we would just rub our chin.
I should imagine different schools had different terms for this.

Jimmy Hill.

Also, 'Aaargh... chie Gemmill!'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here