Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sayings the younger gen don't understand

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
I still refer to LPs and I call our youngest Trebus, after he'd looked it up on t'web he had to agree.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I'm 57 and I've never heard the Ron phrase - does this mean that I'm from the younger generation?

I suppose its where you were brought up. I lived in Brighton until I was 48 and now I live 15 miles away but we as kids and older always used this term when offered something. We are the same age, did you not live in Brighton?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The jnr Stat's have been so indoctrinated they only talk about 'taping a programme' or 'watching a video'.

They are going to get soooo beaten up.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
A woman of 25 at my work asked me what "ruddy nora" meant today. She has a tendency to say that about almost anything said in her direction though, so she mightn't be an accurate representation of those 2 generations below me.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
I had great admiration for Mr Trebus ( if we are talking about the same man ) and his story was really quite moving.

Agree, his story was really quite moving and you could see how his life had become what it had, it painted a very sad tale of how we don't fully understand and don't properly treat mental health problems in this country.

However, when you have 21 year old who doesn't throw anything out because he's too f**king lazy and is happy to live in his own pizza boxes and takeaway containers I'm happy to describe him as a Trebus. I appreciate that I'm using the name in vain because our son has none of the dignity, fight and bottle, or experienced the real suffering of the original Mr Edmund Zygfryd Trebus

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I suppose its where you were brought up. I lived in Brighton until I was 48 and now I live 15 miles away but we as kids and older always used this term when offered something. We are the same age, did you not live in Brighton?

Brought up in Moulsecoomb, lived there till I was 25, completely new phrase to me

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
A woman of 25 at my work asked me what "ruddy nora" meant today. She has a tendency to say that about almost anything said in her direction though, so she mightn't be an accurate representation of those 2 generations below me.

2 generations below you. Are you in your 70s? MB?

Struth!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
"Excuse me" seems to have disappeared, when someone wants to pass by you in a corridor, or shop, or station, Or anywhere, the phrase seems to have been replaced with "sorry". ****ing ignorant *****

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Back at school in the eighties, that saying really drove me nuts. Thinking about it, it still does as I have absolutely no idea what it means.:angry:

We used to say " chin rub " to a good mate if we knew they were lying, if someone was lying but we didn't want to offend them, we would just rub our chin.
I should imagine different schools had different terms for this.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Agree, his story was really quite moving and you could see how his life had become what it had, it painted a very sad tale of how we don't fully understand and don't properly treat mental health problems in this country.

However, when you have 21 year old who doesn't throw anything out because he's too f**king lazy and is happy to live in his own pizza boxes and takeaway containers I'm happy to describe him as a Trebus. I appreciate that I'm using the name in vain because our son has none of the dignity, fight and bottle, or experienced the real suffering of the original Mr Edmund Zygfryd Trebus

Maybe it's because I am getting older but there are more moments where I find myself asking "where the f*@k has my life gone?" A little research reveals Mr Trebus died in 2002, I can not believe it is 12 years since his passing. Seems like just a few years but even the great John Peel ( his voice over helped make the programme) has been gone 10 years now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here