Say it's a straight fight between us and Palarse for 6th place come 4th May.....

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Shocking thread, we've been through all this before.
That is shocking. Should never have loaned him out to a play-off rival, whether that be Hull/Middlesborough or the scum.
Without loaning him out, we couldn't afford Upson. I know which I'd prefer. We can't just spend spend spend you know.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Dobbie cannot be recalled, he cannot play against Brighton, he can play in the play-off semi's(unless against Brighton). He will be back with you guys in time for the final so we cannot play him but you cannot play him either. He will definitely be a Palace player next season, the end :smile:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
that is an automatic rule under football league regs & not something we have insisted on
Assuming his loan is 93 days (the max for an emergency loan I think) then unless my maths is wrong I don't think he is available for palarse in the play offs but I am 100% he will not come back to us at that time.

Your maths won't be wrong, but the loan is a bit sneaky in that it is 93 days, but with a break after 1 month for a few days. In this period he TECHNICALLY returns to us, but in reality as there are no matches for either side, he remains training with palace. This pushes the loan expiry past the playoff semi finals, but due to the dates of the loan window, it is IMPOSSIBLE to apply this loophole to stretch the loan expiry to past the playoff final itself. TECHNICALLY he is a Brighton player on playoff final date.

There is a lot of gentleman's agreement with this deal. IE Palace are committed to buy Dobbie, we cannot play him in the playoff final etc., they MAY have already paid some of the transfer fee.

I hope it's all agreed that we still get the money if he gets seriously injured, but I don't know that either way.

In answer to the original question, we will NOT recall him. If he scores 10 v Peterborough, we live with it and move on.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Dobbie cannot be recalled, he cannot play against Brighton, he can play in the play-off semi's(unless against Brighton). He will be back with you guys in time for the final so we cannot play him but you cannot play him either. He will definitely be a Palace player next season, the end :smile:

100% correct :beer:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No there is no ability to have a recall option in any full or half season loan. The only clauses allowed are the player cannot play in games against the parent club.

It's not a half season loan - that's not possible under the same rules that prevent a permanent transfer until July 1.

It's a 93 day emergency loan, with a sneaky small break in the middle to extend it past the playoff semis.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Dobbie cannot be recalled as its a half season loan, you can only recall players in who are loaned out under emergancy loans. We put a clause in the loan agreement that means Dobbie cannot play against us in the League or in any potential play off match between the two sides, however Palace can play him in any other game including the play offs.

It's a 93 day emergency loan, not half season loan.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

The 93 day loan finishes, by my maths anyway, on May 3rd, so he won't be eligible for the Play-offs regardless of the opponents.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The 93 day loan finishes, by my maths anyway, on May 3rd, so he won't be eligible for the Play-offs regardless of the opponents.

There's a sneaky break in the middle of the loan - when he comes back to us, technically, and the 93 day clock stops ticking. In reality there are no games in this break, so he will still train with Palace.

This dodge can only be done while the loan window is open, so it was impossible for a similar one to be done to make Dobbie available for Palace for the playoff final.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
That is shocking. Should never have loaned him out to a play-off rival, whether that be Hull/Middlesborough or the scum.

It is incredbly short sighted imo. Especially considering his record in the play offs.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It is incredbly short sighted imo. Especially considering his record in the play offs.

Dobbie was on premier league wages and our highest earner. Let Palace spend the Zaha money on him, while we use the cash to pay Upson.

10 points out of 15 since Upson and Ulloa joined us.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
I've said repeatedly already - lending a player to your play-off rivals is DUMB. Let's hope it doesn't end up costing us, but if it does the club will only have itself to blame.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

This would be correct if he had been any good for us. He was any expensive bench warmer at best, and Upson has done way more in 5 games than Dobbie did in half a season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Having loaned him to Palace he could score the winner in the next 6 games, it is just something we have to live with and Gus would have considered before allowing him to leave.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Fail to see the problem here. Dobbie will soon be found out at Palace and the crowd will be on his back, and for that reason he should be encouraged to play for them at every opportunity this season, and then next season (once they've stumped up the cash) he can play a big part in their relegation to League One.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There's a sneaky break in the middle of the loan - when he comes back to us, technically, and the 93 day clock stops ticking. In reality there are no games in this break, so he will still train with Palace.

This dodge can only be done while the loan window is open, so it was impossible for a similar one to be done to make Dobbie available for Palace for the playoff final.

I don't understand why the international break in March should have a bearing on the 93 day clock.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
As I said when it first happened, you have a much more effective player and in my opinion better player in Upson. Even if Dobbie scores a hat-trick in every game he plays for us from now on, it wont change the fact that you should be glad he has gone as he was simply not doing the business for you. You basically had a choice of Upson or Dobbie and Gus chose Upson, would any of you had rather have Dobbie?

Just to clarify, he can play in the Play-off semi's, just not against Brighton.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
sorry, but am I missing something here ? The general concensus on here re Dobbie was 'what a waste of space', now he's gone to one of our competitors on loan, he's suddenly God's gift......make your minds up people ffs .

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I don't understand why the international break in March should have a bearing on the 93 day clock.

A 93 day loan can be set up as , say, a 31 day loan which is then renewed on day 31 for another, say 31 days, and then renewed later for a final 31 days. These renewals cannot exceed a maximum of 93 days, but there can be gaps between the individual 31 day loan periods. The renewals must occur, though, in the loan window, hence why there is no way that Dobbie can play in the playoff final. There is at least 1 break in the loan as above and it has been planned to happen during a period where there are no matches.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports