Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sanders,Cochrane and Gyokeres all going out on loan

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If I worked in Albion’s recruitment team I would probably know but then I wouldn’t be able to tell you would I? As it is I don’t have a clue.

Do you really think we aren’t exploring all options or are you suggesting there is no one we can afford so we’ve given up before the window closes?
That's not a binary question. The club may well have explored all options and found that there is no-one we can afford (that is worth having) and decided, after due consideration, that we don't want to buy another Locadia.

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
If I worked in Albion’s recruitment team I would probably know but then I wouldn’t be able to tell you would I? As it is I don’t have a clue.

Do you really think we aren’t exploring all options or are you suggesting there is no one we can afford so we’ve given up before the window closes?

We do have history of not signing strikers and the manager saying that he’s happy with what he’s got though. So who knows other than the club hierarchy?

I genuinely think Potter is sick to death of talking about transfers... especially strikers. You would have had to have your head buried in the sand of Brighton beach to not realise that... if Brighton sign another striker this year it will be a youth player for development.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Falmer Wizard

Jun 23, 2020
I've suitably chilled out.

I think we're going without a big signing... it's a bit like driving towards a cliff edge in a car with no brakes, listening to the Road to Hell and smiling all the while, and then looking a bit surprised when you plunge to a (very) messy and certain death.

oh well.

The way we played against Newcastle and the first Man Utd game i think we could hold down a middle of the table position without any further signings, it would give us the opportunity to play our promising youngsters

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Would be interested to know what the state of play is with Andone. Still recovering from injury? Or still on the naughty chair? Must play a useful part at some point shirley, in between the spells of red mist

I thought we were told he's out for the rest of the year? From the look of his squad photo he's well off the naughty chair. I'm optimistic.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I thought we were told he's out for the rest of the year? From the look of his squad photo he's well off the naughty chair. I'm optimistic.

There's a clue in the Potter comments in the Argus that Chailey Jem highlighted. if Potter thinks for a minute that he can coach Andone (and, yes, given his qualifications, that includes psychological coaching) to be more effecive as a player and less destructive as a human being he'll give it a crack.

What a player we'd have then.

[video]https://www.premierleague.com/video/single/1054374[/video]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It does sound like he has agreed to go with what we’ve got and he sounds quite arsey in that statement. Oh well I love watching his teams play and think it would be a real shame if we send him into the rest of the season with one hand effectively tied behind his back. He deserves better than that, but if the money’s not there then so be it.

Not how I read it. He sounds arsey, sure. But with all the tedious 'when are you going to singe a big fast number 9?' bollocks, not the state of the squad. We simply don't play like that anymore. That's Wet Sham. We have 4 front players now who with a bit more coaching can perm three up front a la Liverpool. I'd rather we do that, personally.

If I were him, when asked about this stuff, would be tempted to read a brief extract from 'If', and then declaim 'We are playing 3, 4, ****ing 3, or possibly 5, 2, 3, depending on what my tiny shrivelled mind considers appropriate for the sturm and drang and weft of the game. I am not Mike ****ing Bassett. Now **** off'.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think a number of people need to do a reality check.

We have played some great football so far and we have scored goals but more importantly we are in a situation where the future of football clubs including our own is not certain. We have relied on TB's money to go from day to day living to sitting at the table of the world's elite and if he says he doesn't want to pay £30-50million on a player then that's fine by me and should be fine to all.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
It does sound like he has agreed to go with what we’ve got and he sounds quite arsey in that statement. Oh well I love watching his teams play and think it would be a real shame if we send him into the rest of the season with one hand effectively tied behind his back. He deserves better than that, but if the money’s not there then so be it.

I do hope you're not suggesting that Ali J is an inadequate attacking option? :lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I do hope you're not suggesting that Ali J is an inadequate attacking option? :lolol:

You don’t get it do you? :lolol: Ali Ji is not an out and out centre forward, he is the provider for them (as well as only scoring the obligatory worldy rather than a tap in).

As if I think Ali J is not worth his place!!! I kinda like being proved right that he deserved a chance and that he would take it. You mods tried to bully me into submission on this by repeatedly quoting “obviously not shown enough in training” so clearly not good enough, get rid :wink:

So no, Ali J is not a Maupay/Connoly replacement although I’m sure he would do the job with a big smile if required

It’s going to be a long hard season if we don’t get someone in, unless of course Swiss Andi hits the ground running

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
You don’t get it do you? :lolol: Ali Ji is not an out and out centre forward, he is the provider for them (as well as only scoring the obligatory worldy rather than a tap in).

As if I think Ali J is not worth his place!!! I kinda like being proved right that he deserved a chance and that he would take it. You mods tried to bully me into submission on this by repeatedly quoting “obviously not shown enough in training” so clearly not good enough, get rid :wink:

So no, Ali J is not a Maupay/Connoly replacement although I’m sure he would do the job with a big smile if required

It’s going to be a long hard season if we don’t get someone in, unless of course Swiss Andi hits the ground running

That was why I said "attacking option". He's not a 9 but in the system we use could be used as a RS or in the floating position Trossard takes up.

Potter was very clear to say "attacking options". Plus we've signed a first team striker anyway :)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I liked this from Potter speaking this afternoon about the transfer window...wonder if its in response to any posters on NSC. :)
https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/18763474.graham-potter-albions-position-ahead-transfer-deadline/

“I think it wasn’t so long back we were talking about football maybe resetting in the middle of the pandemic and that seems to have gone out of the window.
“Now everybody is asking who you are going to sign. It’s just the way the narrative switches.
"“We have always tried to be responsible to the club, to the short, medium and long term of the club.
“We have done, I think, some good business in the last couple of windows to add different players to the group and sometimes you have to let them settle and let them perform and let them grow and take their games to the next level.
“Unfortunately that’s not that interesting, especially when you have got transfer window shows on and stuff like that.
“People don’t want to hear about boring stuff like helping people improve."
“They want to hear about who you are going to sign and the external solution.
“Fifteen minutes of fame, Britain’s Got Talent, that sort of stuff.
“We want the easy fix, don’t we? We don’t want to hear about the other stuff.

“There’s only a few days left and maybe we can get back to talking about coaching and developing players.”

Good and interesting to read, and the evidence seems to be there that he can do it, something which always seemed to be his strength.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Although I’m a long term fence sitter with AJ, as he does have ability, just lacks pace. There is no way (IMO), he has shown he warrants a first team, so not sure anything has been proved [emoji2].

I mean Portsmouth and Preston reserves are hardly PL opposition. All he proved was that he was comfortable against lower level teams, vs Utd he was distinctly ordinary with the rest of the team (Gross apart).

I’ll now go back to my fence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Tony hates doing business in January - he's always said so.

That's because there is generally little value in January and it's usually a seller's market.
This year may be different with the effects of Covid biting deeper into many clubs finances.

Also, I'm pretty sure Ulloa and Kayal and possibly Knockaert were all January signings.
So when he does do business in January, he makes some great deals.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That's because there is generally little value in January and it's usually a seller's market.
This year may be different with the effects of Covid biting deeper into many clubs finances.

Also, I'm pretty sure Ulloa and Kayal and possibly Knockaert were all January signings.
So when he does do business in January, he makes some great deals.

How soon they forget. Yes you’re right and of course, Tariq Lamptey.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
There's a clue in the Potter comments in the Argus that Chailey Jem highlighted. if Potter thinks for a minute that he can coach Andone (and, yes, given his qualifications, that includes psychological coaching) to be more effecive as a player and less destructive as a human being he'll give it a crack.

What a player we'd have then.

[video]https://www.premierleague.com/video/single/1054374[/video]

What a goal that was!

There was a twitter Albion goals World cup during the lock down.
He tweeted this when he made it to the semi final.

[TWEET]1251603847698616322[/TWEET]

I think he will be a fantastic addition to the squad when he comes back.
Probably a better striker than Maupay.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
:lolol:

Of course they do. Not Fulham who couldn't defend a nun with an alibi. Not West Brom who threw away a three goal lead and still only have one point. not Sheffield United who couldn't score in the preverbial brothel or Burnley, absolutely ripped apart with injuries, a contract signing issue in lockdown, STILL playing 4-4-2 and signing a CM often derided on these pages who was just starting to struggle to make our squad.

No, it's "striker problem" Brighton, 11 goals already this season, goal a game for Maupay, dismantlers of Newcastle and who would have beaten Man U but for five coats of paint, a wrongly overturned penalty and a goal scored after the final whistle :facepalm:

FFS.

Well quite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here