Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sami Hyypia is the new boss at.......

FCZ

Aug 21, 2015
Hoi! Wii gahts?
I can only say that about Hyppia what we witnessed here in those 6 months. That is the complete denial of any other tactics other than his attacking system which he believes in. Be prepared for players playing out of position and strange team selections. Also that the opposition breaks through the Sami System with a counter attack, quite often outnumbering your defenders and ending up with a goal! Our Board, did have a different recruitment team that seemed to be playing championship manager game to find players rather than actual scouting, but some of those signed last year are playing much better under our current manager Hughton. As mentioned above by others, I think he needs a good assistant, someone to help him implement his ideas. The danger is, it didn't work out at Leverkusen or here at Brighton and if he comes with the same ideas, then it might not work out at FCZ.
But I do wish him well and the best of luck at FCZ, although as a kid I was taken to see GC on a few occasions and I've always looked out for their results. But even so, best of luck and if ever Hyppia gets it right at a club, he will be successful.
Macheds guet gägä Luzern!

Sali – d Sunne schiint für ali, au für Hoppers! ;-)

Yes, the danger that he failed at Leverkusen and then at Brighton is one that is worrying me. Three strikes and you're out! I'm guessing the pressure will be pretty high now for him personally, as he knows that another failure will be probably the last onein his career. Especially if it's a similar failure as the last two.

On the other hand, if he succeeds here then the World is his oyster again.

As for the tactics: We have had players playing out of position and strange team selections and formations for the past year or so here, with changes from 3-5-2 to 4-2-3-1 and every number in between, so am prepared for that.
FCZ do like to play attacking football ( mainly because we have no decent defenders ), and I was hoping that Sam would strengthen the defence, but seems no sign of that from the comments I have read re defence, but obviously will give him a chance.

He's signed a 2 year contract, with an option for 1 more, so I think he'll be here relatively long-term, as we had a big problem with our 2nd last manager, who was sacked, and then insisted on having his contract paid out. The Court case was unfortunately lost by our Owner, which cost him half a million franks ( allegedly ), so I don't think he'll be doing that again, especially as it's his wife's money!

Oh well. Onwards and Upwards. And thanks for the " If ever Hyppia gets it right at a Club... " bit. Die Hoffnung stirbt zuletzt. Rough translation... " We're going to win the Double, with Sami as our Leader! "

And of course Ditto versus Blackburn!

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
To be fair we had numerous games that were exciting and things looked like they were improving.The goals just never arrived in the end bar Norwich away and the writing was on the wall,but our strikers have been turd for a while now to be honest.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Sali – d Sunne schiint für ali, au für Hoppers! ;-)

Yes, the danger that he failed at Leverkusen and then at Brighton is one that is worrying me. Three strikes and you're out! I'm guessing the pressure will be pretty high now for him personally, as he knows that another failure will be probably the last onein his career. Especially if it's a similar failure as the last two.

On the other hand, if he succeeds here then the World is his oyster again.

As for the tactics: We have had players playing out of position and strange team selections and formations for the past year or so here, with changes from 3-5-2 to 4-2-3-1 and every number in between, so am prepared for that.
FCZ do like to play attacking football ( mainly because we have no decent defenders ), and I was hoping that Sam would strengthen the defence, but seems no sign of that from the comments I have read re defence, but obviously will give him a chance.

He's signed a 2 year contract, with an option for 1 more, so I think he'll be here relatively long-term, as we had a big problem with our 2nd last manager, who was sacked, and then insisted on having his contract paid out. The Court case was unfortunately lost by our Owner, which cost him half a million franks ( allegedly ), so I don't think he'll be doing that again, especially as it's his wife's money!

Oh well. Onwards and Upwards. And thanks for the " If ever Hyppia gets it right at a Club... " bit. Die Hoffnung stirbt zuletzt. Rough translation... " We're going to win the Double, with Sami as our Leader! "

And of course Ditto versus Blackburn!

His tactics might work in the Super League, the problem with the Championship is that is a relentless slog of a season, less time on the ball than the Premier League and more matches. Sami was asking ageing full backs to run up and down the wings like they were 19 and we got murdered! But in the Super league you seem to have a bit more time on the ball and a lot of passing teams and therefore his system might work better. I really hope so, because he is a Top Bloke as everyone says.
As for FCZ and the owners, I hope they realise that if they want to get near FC Basel that they have to invest, nothing comes from not signing anyone. Still at least you aren't owned by Constantine!!

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
To be fair we had numerous games that were exciting and things looked like they were improving.The goals just never arrived in the end bar Norwich away and the writing was on the wall,but our strikers have been turd for a while now to be honest.

That's part of the problem, yes our strikers weren't firing and we got ripped open on counters constantly! You can't just shrug shoulders and say it didn't work out. It didn't work out because the tactics were wrong and who knows what Hyppia was asking the strikers to to. Look at the difference between Baldock, this season and the same time last year. Different player almost.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
His tactics might work in the Super League, the problem with the Championship is that is a relentless slog of a season, less time on the ball than the Premier League and more matches. Sami was asking ageing full backs to run up and down the wings like they were 19 and we got murdered! But in the Super league you seem to have a bit more time on the ball and a lot of passing teams and therefore his system might work better. I really hope so, because he is a Top Bloke as everyone says.
As for FCZ and the owners, I hope they realise that if they want to get near Basle that they have to invest, nothing comes from not signing anyone. Still at least you aren't owned by Constantine!!

Sorry to be grumpy but if he was that much of a top bloke he would have resigned around the time of the Millwall game, when we had one win in eight years and he admitted he didn't have any new ideas.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Sorry to be grumpy but if he was that much of a top bloke he would have resigned around the time of the Millwall game, when we had one win in eight years and he admitted he didn't have any new ideas.

My understanding was that Bloom didn't want him to walk away. And he did 2 or 3 games later. Thank god he did because I don't think Bloom was ever going to sack him.

FCZ

Aug 21, 2015

Exciting will do for me short-term, and as it looks like he's probably here long-term, I will hope that he can sort the rest out, given time ( and money ).

FCZ

Aug 21, 2015
As for FCZ and the owners, I hope they realise that if they want to get near FC Basel that they have to invest, nothing comes from not signing anyone. Still at least you aren't owned by Constantine!!

Indeed!

The Super League is a lot slower than the Championship, and not so rough and tumble, so hopefully there is that positive aspect to work on.

And of course we have to invest, but Basel ( and Gigi Oeri + the Champions League money ) are miles ahead at the moment, with no real hope there, unless we can somehow get Basel to leave Switzerland and join the Bundesliga.

Right, shopping with the wife! She's been nagging me all morning, and I think I can hear her sharpening our meat cleaver in the kitchen!

See you all soon, and thanks for the replies.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Indeed!

The Super League is a lot slower than the Championship, and not so rough and tumble, so hopefully there is that positive aspect to work on.

And of course we have to invest, but Basel ( and Gigi Oeri + the Champions League money ) are miles ahead at the moment, with no real hope there, unless we can somehow get Basel to leave Switzerland and join the Bundesliga.

Right, shopping with the wife! She's been nagging me all morning, and I think I can hear her sharpening our meat cleaver in the kitchen!

See you all soon, and thanks for the replies.

I miss the Migro, Tschüss!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
And for here was the problem what were the tactics left back and right back so far up the field with no one dropping into cover time and time again we only had two at the back opersition wingers had huge open spaces to run into

But his tactics were completely flawed given the personnel at his disposal. The idea of a slower central midfield player covering a full-back who has gone forward is, and remains ridiculous. I can still see Crofts getting outpaced at Brentford whilst Calderon was on the halfway line. JFC trying desperately to cover Bennett at home against Charlton utter nonsense.

That doesn't explain our form between Feb and May. 18 games played, lost 8, drew 6 and won 4. New manager, different tactics, same players, less goals and same shit, but really dull. You cannot sprinkle glitter over Hughton’s time in charge and our form was equally as bad. Had we ended up mid table I would have said he did a brilliant job, but we scraped through even hoping that Rotherham were going to be docked points in our favour.

The common denominator in all this were the players. They couldn’t play Hyypia’s way or Hughton’s way.

The difference with this season is that over 10 players have gone and Hughton has personally overseen the signing of 10+ plus players. This to me gives us a clue that the players we had would have struggled under any strategy.

As I said before niether manager outshone the other last season.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
That doesn't explain our form between Feb and May. 18 games played, lost 8, drew 6 and won 4. New manager, different tactics, same players, less goals and same shit, but really dull. You cannot sprinkle glitter over Hughton’s time in charge and our form was equally as bad. Had we ended up mid table I would have said he did a brilliant job, but we scraped through even hoping that Rotherham were going to be docked points in our favour.

The common denominator in all this were the players. They couldn’t play Hyypia’s way or Hughton’s way.

The difference with this season is that over 10 players have gone and Hughton has personally overseen the signing of 10+ plus players. This to me gives us a clue that the players we had would have struggled under any strategy.

As I said before niether manager outshone the other last season.

There is a massive difference inheriting a team that made the play-off's to one that were relegation certainties and very few victories all season, regardless of personnel. Confidence is massive in football.

Coupled with the fact that Baldock got injured, I really don't feel it's a fair comparison.

It also doesn't explain playing the hapless Gardner and JFC week in, week out.

Whilst Hughton's football was largely poor, he plugged a hole in the sinking ship and we got out. On that basis I would say he comfortably outshone Hyypia.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
There is a massive difference inheriting a team that made the play-off's to one that were relegation certainties and very few victories all season, regardless of personnel. Confidence is massive in football.

Coupled with the fact that Baldock got injured, I really don't feel it's a fair comparison.

It also doesn't explain playing the hapless Gardner and JFC week in, week out.

Whilst Hughton's football was largely poor, he plugged a hole in the sinking ship and we got out. On that basis I would say he comfortably outshone Hyypia.

Well your first statement is bollox and you know it is. I also remember you hating Garcia's "boring" football. We then get an attacking manager and you want us to be more defensive minded :shrug: :mad:. Yep Gardner was crap and JFC was sent out to do a mans job, but there were not any other options.

We may have lost Baldock but we gained Kayal, Leona and CMS.

Last edited:

FCZ

Aug 21, 2015
It seems a bit strange having a fan of another club on here who know's his football, seems intelligent and is not taking the piss.

I'm not sure I like it!!!

Welcome FCZ

Why thank you, kind Sir.

Well, it's my first day here, so should be on my best behaviour, and we Swiss are fairly polite usually, which I hope Capt. Sensible will verify.

Also I bloody hate Crystal Palace ( their shirts remind me of FC Basel, amongst other things, ultras, etc. ) so there is a bit of common ground already.

And I've been to Brighton a few times, and thought it was possibly the best place in England to live.

Had a brilliant night ( apart from the result ) in a bar in Thailand in January this year as well, watching the FA Cup game v. Arsenal. The bar was full of Arsenal fans, so we stood next to a couple who were from Brighton, and ended up getting very drunk with them, which always helps form a bond with a new Club, especially after the 2-1 second half, although I'll have to admit I didn't think I'd be posting on the Forum any time soon.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
will we see the return of the revolutionary 2 7 1 formation.
an extraordinary formation waiting for the players it deserves?
or just plain daft?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Well your first statement is bollox and you know it is. I also remember you hating Garcia's "boring" football. We then get an attacking manager and you want us to be more defensive minded :shrug: :mad:. Yep Gardner was crap and JFC was sent out to do a mans job, but there were not any other options.

We may have lost Baldock but we gained Kayal, Leona and CMS.

Is it feck! If you can't see that a winning changing room, is different to a losing one, then the discussion is pointless.

However, it's all very well playing 'devil's advocate' and your defence of one of our most hapless managers in recent times is admirable, but it doesn't change the facts in terms of the tactics he was very naïve and constantly tried to fit square pegs in round holes.

To pick up your points specifically, 'yes' I thought Oscar's football was turgid as was Hughton's last year (but he had to keep us up and so it is justified more in my eyes, get the defence right first etc....). If you seriously think Hyypia going 'gung-ho' was credible attacking football then I'm surprised. Poyet had it just about right for me and (other than the first half today), I'm quite enjoying Hughton's renaissance, as the side is clearly balanced.

Kayal is not a forward, though was comfortably a better replacement for the 'near' ever-present Gardner. CMS and Best, come off it, you know that neither of those are as good as Baldock.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Is it feck! If you can't see that a winning changing room, is different to a losing one, then the discussion is pointless.

However, it's all very well playing 'devil's advocate' and your defence of one of our most hapless managers in recent times is admirable, but it doesn't change the facts in terms of the tactics he was very naïve and constantly tried to fit square pegs in round holes.

To pick up your points specifically, 'yes' I thought Oscar's football was turgid as was Hughton's last year (but he had to keep us up and so it is justified more in my eyes, get the defence right first etc....). If you seriously think Hyypia going 'gung-ho' was credible attacking football then I'm surprised. Poyet had it just about right for me and (other than the first half today), I'm quite enjoying Hughton's renaissance, as the side is clearly balanced.

Kayal is not a forward, though was comfortably a better replacement for the 'near' ever-present Gardner. CMS and Best, come off it, you know that neither of those are as good as Baldock.

Your statement was "inheriting a team that made the play-off's"? Hardly we lost Ward, Upson, Kuz, Buckley, Orlandi, Slopez and not forgetting our only goal threat, Ulloa. It was a patched up team with 3 new strikers, 6 loanees, a bunch of strangers including the manager. Hyypia being blessed with a talented squad full of confidence is pure fiction.

Hyypia first 19 games =18 points
Hughtons last 19 games = 18 points

Nothing in it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here