Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sami Hyypia is the new boss at.......

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
2 lessons I'm sure he learnt,

1. Don't let Burke choose/buy your players

2. See above.

I agree, and the reason that Sami never really had much of a chance here. David Burkes obsession with taking on run of the mill average journeymen. Who often sat on the bench for weeks without any output. How much clever the new procurement team is can't be overstated. :thumbsup:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He inherited a poor squad but he started the season better than we finished it. Point for point there wasn’t anything in it between Hughton and Sami. 4 points in the last 14 games is nothing to shout about.

I wish him well and will not judge him on his time with us.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I wish Sami well.

We are VERY fortunate that he is a man of honour & integrity and walked away when he did - whilst the club were trying to persuade him to stay.

Having said that, Hughton's record last season was only very marginally better. Hughton got lucky that there were teams that were even more appalling than us.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
There are many reasons for his abject failure here, and this wouldn't be the primary one, but for me whenever he spoke he sounded like the most downbeat, morose, unenthusiastic, uninspiring character imaginable. A total charisma-free zone. A malignant, dark, swirling vortex that drained all energy and life from the immediate surrounding area. It was essentially like having Eeyore as manager.

Or a gnome...

mxs_harrow

Jan 20, 2009
HA5
Reference the points gathered by Hughton; the Tex and Baldock injuries certainly contributed to only just avoiding relegation. Ledesma/Carayol/Best - just scraping around with what loanees were available

albionite

May 20, 2009
I kind of liked him at first, either the players didn't buy into his tactics or not good enough to,(would of been interesting if we did have players that fitted) but his lack to change things around when it wasn't working was his downfall.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
A truly truly decent and honorable man who waived his right to compensation and did the best he could under limited circumstances. David Burke and his spreadsheet anyone? Selling Ulloa right before the season without a replacement identified? He did get us Tex and he wanted to walk away sooner BUT THE CLUB WANTED HIM TO STAY.

That said he was out of his depth, Jones and Hughton just about got us out the shit.

But Sami I do wish you well.

This - no way the shambles of last season is entirely down to him. Hope he does well but very glad he's not here.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
He'll have his side into Europe before Hughton does, if either of them do.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Sami was an honourable man, a nice bloke, but the only way he'll EVER have success as a manager is with a strong No.2 alongside him.

I fancy Leverkusen will turn out to be his pinnacle in management, I daresay he'll be Finland boss in due course and one day I hope to raise a glass as his side beat Scotland in a Euro / World Cup qualifier.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I really hope he finds his managing mojo. On the evidence we saw, that's going to be tough, but a good guy, wish him well.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A truly truly decent and honorable man who waived his right to compensation and did the best he could under limited circumstances. David Burke and his spreadsheet anyone? Selling Ulloa right before the season without a replacement identified? He did get us Tex and he wanted to walk away sooner BUT THE CLUB WANTED HIM TO STAY.

That said he was out of his depth, Jones and Hughton just about got us out the shit.

But Sami I do wish you well.

Sami was an honourable man, a nice bloke, but the only way he'll EVER have success as a manager is with a strong No.2 alongside him.
I do wonder if the fine margins Sami's Albion always fell the wrong side of might have differed had Sammy Lee stayed on board.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
There are fine margins in this game. We could easily have drawn the first two games this season and lost the last. If Sami didn't have bad luck he wouldn't have had any luck at all, and having to deal with six loans in an already patched up squad any manager would have struggled.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There are fine margins in this game. We could easily have drawn the first two games this season and lost the last. If Sami didn't have bad luck he wouldn't have had any luck at all, and having to deal with six loans in an already patched up squad any manager would have struggled.
A fact that would make the current Hughton thread very different reading.

Wasn't Sami's team something ridiculous like 'statistically the best team at nearly winning', in Europe.

I remember coming away from some games thinking 'blimey we'll batter the next team', Cardiff instantly springs to mind.
But the next game was always 2 steps back, instead of one forward.

It's only fair to write I think I was probably the last one off the Sami train, I stayed on till Derby away.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
A fact that would make the current Hughton thread very different reading.

Wasn't Sami's team something ridiculous like 'statistically the best team at nearly winning', in Europe.

I remember coming away from some games thinking 'blimey we'll batter the next team', Cardiff instantly springs to mind.
But the next game was always 2 steps back, instead of one forward.

It's only fair to write I think I was probably the last one off the Sami train, I stayed on till Derby away.

I liked what he was trying to do. To change us from a cautious side into an attacking one was a mighty task using a patched up squad full of strangers, but I think he would have kept us up in the end. It always seemed to be individual errors that cost us points, not the tactics.

albionite

May 20, 2009
I liked what he was trying to do. To change us from a cautious side into an attacking one was a mighty task using a patched up squad full of strangers, but I think he would have kept us up in the end. It always seemed to be individual errors that cost us points, not the tactics.

Almost agree with that, his tactics would of worked with right players. Far too many mistakes cost us games when we was the better side( made it even more frustrating ). It was his refusal to change tactics when clearly it wasn't working

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here