Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Sam Smith Excluded From Gendered Categories At 2021 Brit Awards

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
One big hype, all those decent bands out there and they chose him.

So very true. Mr Blooby, Timmy Mallet, Keith & Orville, St Winifreds Choir...all could have done a better job than SS never mind all the quality acts who were possible options.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Bloody kids of today. Now when I fought the Boer and Napoleonic wars :facepalm:

I don't get the original ref to WW2, but I was only making light of it so don't facepalm me! Also, the Boer War is incomparable. The Napoleonic Wars was also really the first world war in many respects. Anyway, we digress and have got stupidly serious. Back to the main point, which is, SS's music is rubbish. IMO :)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It is necessary to have male and female categories?

Are these distinctions made for any musical purpose or are they just so the Brits can have 2 awards for best singer?

Maybe the category could be split by a different measure, like age range?

Is the right answer. I can't be bothered to read about someone who has meaning to me only as a one-time Glenn Murray lookalike. However, if this is a singing contest then genederizing it seems a bit sad.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I suppose it was us human beings who allocated the names and genders. So I suppose if we once allocated them we can take them away.

I for one don't mind the separation of genders but if some don't then it's their perogative too.

Not really sure how the history of word allocation worked but if I were to make an educated guess I would say that the name " woman " was just derived from "man" with a "womb" ? But I could be wrong.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
With the exception of racism life was way better in the 1980’s .

Congratulations for the most idiotic post of the week! Just racism? WTF?

Do you want a ‘jim’ll fix it’ badge with that? A society that allowed people like JS to operate almost openly and unchallenged is exactly why you are so wrong. I could go on to other things such as homophobia, sexism, yuppies etc but I think you’re obviously a profound sentimentalist where ‘the old days was the best days’.

The ‘80’s were ****ing shite compared with the 21st century.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Do you want a ‘jim’ll fix it’ badge with that? A society that allowed people like JS to operate almost openly and unchallenged is exactly why you are so wrong.

Society didn’t. The vast majority had no idea what JS was up to. Cabals at the BBC and Leeds police, maybe even the Royals, were protecting him, not society.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Congratulations for the most idiotic post of the week! Just racism? WTF?

Do you want a ‘jim’ll fix it’ badge with that? A society that allowed people like JS to operate almost openly and unchallenged is exactly why you are so wrong. I could go on to other things such as homophobia, sexism, yuppies etc but I think you’re obviously a profound sentimentalist where ‘the old days was the best days’.

The ‘80’s were ****ing shite compared with the 21st century.

Wow, you really ARE permanently offended. Yuppies? :lol::lol::lol:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
This is what three medical doctors who worked on one paper say. It’s a big leap to say this is what Science says as if the matter is now settled. They might be right, but a lot more work would need to be done before you can say this is the general consensus.

Scientific papers are published constantly on all sorts of subjects. It doesn’t mean that what they say is now Science and therefore right. It’s not how it works.

i agreed with you wonder what the scientists will make of that

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Is the right answer. I can't be bothered to read about someone who has meaning to me only as a one-time Glenn Murray lookalike. However, if this is a singing contest then genederizing it seems a bit sad.

I don't know but would it have been introduced to recognise female artists who were perhaps under represented if it was lumped in to one, maybe.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Society didn’t. The vast majority had no idea what JS was up to. Cabals at the BBC and Leeds police, maybe even the Royals, were protecting him, not society.

I include Cabals, Leeds Police & Royals in my definition of society.

Society contains the bad as well as the good.

None of those mentioned would let a nonce operate almost openly in 21st century Britain.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Indeed. The world must revolve around these idiots, 4000 years of evolution is all wrong and it's shocking humanity has only just discovered the 46 other gender classifications in the last 7 years - inc. SS's. Who knew?!

References to a 3rd gender are as old as writing.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
science does matter any more, its all about what people want to be. have to roll with the punches if there isnt a catagory for them in the awards. probably will be next year, to avoid offending.

That will make things interesting. You might see actors changing their pronouns so that they have a better chance of getting an award.

A bit like choosing to play for the Ivory Coast if you don’t want to do the work to get into the England team

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Not really sure how the history of word allocation worked but if I were to make an educated guess I would say that the name " woman " was just derived from "man" with a "womb" ? But I could be wrong.

I don’t think so. Back in the olden times, the word ‘man’ was gender neutral and not age specific. Everyone was a man; women, men, kids. The word woman came from the old English word for wife. They are clearly linked and wife (or wifeman) morphed to woman.

Male and female I believe are entirely separate and were not related / linked. They became standardised of course, but started separate.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
My opinion is that this is a cultural phenomenon that is wrongly being presented as fact by some.

Unless I've missed some groundbreaking scientific research - the 64 genders are completely unscientific. They are arbitrary and basically made up by groups that for whatever reason feel unsatisfied by being described as either male or female.

I hate to break it to them, but the two sexes are well established scientific fact, and they're not going away. If they don't want to describe themselves that way, that's fine, but that won't change their biology I'm afraid. If they are dug up by archeologists in 2,000 years time, they will be decidedly male or female, regardless of how they describe themselves today.

I have no issue at all with people describing themselves with however they want - as long as it is not presented as fact. It needs to be clear that it is a cultural phenomena, akin to to 'punks', 'mods & rockers', 'beatniks' and other cultural groups.

Society cannot accept these countless genders as any kind of fact, because it's not. As a result, people who describe themselves as another gender should not have any different or additional rights to any other person.

My take on things too. No issue with anyone calling themselves whatever they care to. There are two genders. Pick one.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here