Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Safeguards on food standards have been removed.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Not to mention that US animal welfare standards leave a lot to be desired.

Any evidence that there are more deaths in the USA as a result of people eating chicken? I thought not.

And if US chicken is imported here there is no need for you to eat it if you're concerned.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Chlorine washed chicken and hormone-treated beef will continue to be banned in the UK.

That's factually incorrect. You don't know that any more than I do (unless you have an actual crystal ball in which case get off NSC and buy yourself a lottery ticket).

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I thought this thread was about Food standards and Animal welfare, something that I know from your previous posts, you have very strong views on. I would have thought you may want the opportunity to share them again, while it's being discussed ???

Well given nothing has actually changed it's hard to comment on it. We still have the same food and animal welfare standards. In fact the government have already promised that after Brexit the live export will be reviewed .... something the EU have categorically refused to do.

See ... you've now dragged back into an EU debate.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
There was a Poll last week which asked British voters who they would vote for if they could vote in the US Election. Guess what - 80% said they would vote for Donald Trump.

Seems like the UK Electorate would be quite happy to pull the hood over their own heads on the way to the Gallows.

You don't say who's poll it is but it rather goes against the YouGOV survey posted on the Trump thread.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Any evidence that there are more deaths in the USA as a result of people eating chicken? I thought not.

And if US chicken is imported here there is no need for you to eat it if you're concerned.

There's an obesity epidemic in the US and in 2017 42% of the population were obese.

https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

They are obese because they eat too much and they eat too much of the wrong stuff. Processed meat, chicken included, is a huge contributor to this as is cheap food. If all their chicken was organically reared and cost what it should do in a normal market there's no way you'd see that level of obesity. Yes, it's obviously to do with sugary drinks and puddings too but your average yank eats way too much poor quality meat.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There's an obesity epidemic in the US and in 2017 42% of the population were obese.

They are obese because they eat too much and they eat too much of the wrong stuff. Processed meat, chicken included, is a huge contributor to this as is cheap food. If all their chicken was organically reared and cost what it should do in a normal market there's no way you'd see that level of obesity. Yes, it's obviously to do with sugary drinks and puddings too but your average yank eats way too much poor quality meat.

Before all the veggies sit there smiling smugly, let's also consider the genetically modified crops and chemical sprays which are currently banned in Europe.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It does look like the US scores highly due to its size, and therefore self sufficiency. . . There is no denying typical US farming methods operate of a far bigger scale where quantity and profit are priority, as opposed to the EU stance of protecting low volume local specialities and delicacies as part of a bigger picture.

The whole point of the discussion to my mind is the continued race to the bottom, not about improvement, just about profit at an increasingly unsustainable rate.

There is enough food globally for everyone, the debate is about quality and sustainability, not profit.

THis governement has no regards for the former or the welfare of its populus. Has, does and will continually lie to us.

There is no doubt in my mind we will see a fall in standards across the board in the next year or two effectively undoing 50 years of welfare progress within the EU.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Right.

So the fact that there is no evidence in support of believing something, doesn't mean you shouldn't believe it, right?

Yeah this is kind of my point.

People start with the conclusion, "the government is evil", then work their way back from their.

If the facts don't actually matter to you, then maybe you should look at yourself before accusing other people of not caring about the truth.

My conclusion came from a recognition of multiple lies from this shower of bullshitters

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Before all the veggies sit there smiling smugly, let's also consider the genetically modified crops and chemical sprays which are currently banned in Europe.

Don't forget that lots of veggie products are as heavily processed as happy shopper hot dogs and equally loaded with fat salt and sugar :wink:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

think deep frying has more impact on obesity than whether its organic or mass produced. this issue doesnt need more conflations.

tricky

Jul 7, 2003
Reigate
There's been some strange comments on this thread - same old confusion that organic somehow means high welfare for the animals and healthy to eat. Unfortunately, its a much more nuanced picture than that but at least UK farms in general do seem to have better welfare than the rest of the world and long may that continue. Farms in Europe and US can produce meat protein cheaper and more efficiently than we can and that doesn't necessarily mean that it is a poorer product and may even mean that it can be better for the environment because it is more efficient. However, for me, it is a moral issue. I'm proud of the UK's high welfare standards and I hope leaving the EU won't affect that. Lets not forget that the EU has been stalling welfare legislation for a while now.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
think deep frying has more impact on obesity than whether its organic or mass produced. this issue doesnt need more conflations.

But deep frying is better for the environment, you can re use the oil, unlike water, which escapes into the sky or gets poured down the drain after boiling.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
There's been some strange comments on this thread - same old confusion that organic somehow means high welfare for the animals and healthy to eat. Unfortunately, its a much more nuanced picture than that but at least UK farms in general do seem to have better welfare than the rest of the world and long may that continue. Farms in Europe and US can produce meat protein cheaper and more efficiently than we can and that doesn't necessarily mean that it is a poorer product and may even mean that it can be better for the environment because it is more efficient. However, for me, it is a moral issue. I'm proud of the UK's high welfare standards and I hope leaving the EU won't affect that. Lets not forget that the EU has been stalling welfare legislation for a while now.

we grow a lot of fruit and veg, we make no effort to be organic per se, but are very mindful of unncessary chemical usage. the key for us is good soil (naturally) and nurture, both of which takes time. Time costs. Any livestock animal, grown naturally, will cost 2 or 3 times as much as your average supermarket stuff.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Nope. My point is that the cheaper it is, the more of it you consume. Consuming lots of cheap, deep fried chicken would make you very obese, which is what many Americans are.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Nope. My point is that the cheaper it is, the more of it you consume. Consuming lots of cheap, deep fried chicken would make you very obese, which is what many Americans are.

The average US Man/Woman is almost exactly 1st ( 14lb or 6.35kg) heavier than the average Brit. 11-12 for women. 13-14 for men.

average heights are very close to being the same

we're not exactly an Island of racing snakes on the Lad-arse scale of fatulence. :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here