Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Safeguards on food standards have been removed.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
:flounce:

One of the only posts you haven't replied to is mine stating that

is factually incorrect because you have no idea what is going to happen in the future. People have pointed this out again, adding that the current government are less than trustworthy. Here's a clue why.

Boris calls for UK to stay in EU

That seems to be all that has hapened :shrug:

It wasn't much of a point worth responding to. I don't know the future. Good point.

I said they won't because so far there has been no indication, at all, that they will. If you want to argue that they will (which everyone on here is arguing - infact everyone is arguing that they have by virue of this amendment falling, which is what has driven me so crazy - ) then some kind of reason to believe that would be nice. Something other than "bunch of liars" would probably be good.

Anyway, I don't want to talk about this stuff anymore.

Carry on believing things which are not true and which you have no good reason to believe, if that's what you want to do.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I said they won't because so far there has been no indication, at all, that they will. If you want to argue that they will (which everyone on here is arguing - infact everyone is arguing that they have by virue of this amendment falling, which is what has driven me so crazy - ) then some kind of reason to believe that would be nice. Something other than "bunch of liars" would probably be good.

Anyway, I don't want to talk about this stuff anymore.

Carry on believing things which are not true and which you have no good reason to believe, if that's what you want to do.

No good reason to believe?

https://www.businessinsider.com/rob...h-the-uk-over-food-standards-2020-6?r=US&IR=T

'The US will not sign a free trade deal with the UK if its farmers cannot sell meat and other agricultural goods to Britain without barriers, the Trump administration's most senior trade representative has warned'

There is VERY good reason to believe that a trade deal with the US will require the UK to drop our food standards.

That's the point and has been from the start.

In light of this, it is hardly suprising that non-binding statements from proven liars (live by the sword die by the sword) is not deemed sufficient to
reassure those that are worried.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

https://www.businessinsider.com/rob...h-the-uk-over-food-standards-2020-6?r=US&IR=T

'The US will not sign a free trade deal with the UK if its farmers cannot sell meat and other agricultural goods to Britain without barriers, the Trump administration's most senior trade representative has warned'

There is VERY good reason to believe that a trade deal with the US will require the UK to drop our food standards.

In light of this, it is hardly suprising that non-binding statements from proven liars (live by the sword die by the sword) is not deemed sufficient to

Quite

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

That's one side of the discussion. +1 for Food standards will be lowered.

"This government has been clear it will not sign a trade deal that will compromise on our high environmental protection, animal welfare and food standards, and claims to the contrary are unhelpful scaremongering. We are a world leader in these areas and that will not change.

Chlorinated chicken and hormone injected beef are not permitted for import into the UK. This will be retained through the EU Withdrawal Act and enshrined in UK law at the end of the transition period.

The government is focused on getting trade deals that protect and advance the interests of our farmers and consumers. If a deal isn’t the right one, we will walk away."
https://deframedia.blog.gov.uk/2020/10/08/protecting-our-high-food-standards/
https://www.just-food.com/news/uk-s...pheld-in-any-trade-deal-with-us_id144536.aspx

The other side of the discussion. -1 for Food standards will be lowered.

We are currently being asked to accept a level playing field with the EU, and movements on fishing. As of right now we continue to hold firm on our position, as we have throughout the negotiations with the EU. So far I haven't seen us bend over for anyone, and I don't expect us to bend over for the US either.

I still remember, "There will be no renegotiating the Withdrawl Agreement agreed by Theresa May". It was absolutely insisted that we were over a barrel and nothing could be done. This just sounds the same to me. Yes negotiating positions are being laid out. But the US could decide to do a trade deal, which would still be beneficial to both sides, without insisting on their current demands. We on the other hand, could not, given previous and current statements, do a trade deal without insisting on ours, because like in our negotiations with the EU, ours is a position of principle and we have quite willingly given ourselves no room for movement on them whatsoever.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It's worth bearing in mind that Dingo's previous profile pic was of a man who advocated a free market in children.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here