Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sadly Our Starting Eleven Just Looks Like Relegation Fodder

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So hands up who thought we wouldn't get outplayed a few times a season in the Premier, when we are not at our best, playing against a top side, who have spent 100s of millions on their squad, have one of the top managers in the world, and are the form team in the division.

As long as it's a 'few' times and the rest of the time we play well, I can live with that.

I can't believe some of the posters on here :lolol:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Definite lack of leaders as well as physical strength/know how in this squad. This is illustrated by the number of times we've been unable to shut up shop and see things through to HT/FT after scoring. The loss of Stephens and Duffy exacerbated this. For all the plaudits GP receives for good football we are far too naive and soft - he needs to recognise and address this otherwise we're in for a long season.

Sent from my 5039D_EEA using Tapatalk

This is definitely one of my take-homes - we need Dunk to step up more, he needs to really take on that leadership mantle with Stephens gone, he has to dominate that penalty box at set pieces with his voice and his leadership

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Before today, Everton have had their best start in over 80 YEARS, probably now their best start ever! They are a very good team and could easily be top 6 this season. We’ve had 3 very good games especially last week when we should have beaten United. This was a very poor performance but until today we’ve looked good. Maupay has scored 4 in 4, so maybe we need to just tighten up the defence.

They were very impressive. Their style is very similar to ours, but didn't make as many mistakes on the day. Top of the table and James is a player

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
What utter bollocks. Sorry but it is. What is wrong with winning at everton, chelsea, united and Liverpool? Well apart from we beat united 3-0 this season if we won those games we would win the league. Also the other clubs around us DON'T do that do they I didn't see them beat them and win the league. Idiotic statement.

Calm down, you’re the one sounding like an idiot - when did we beat Utd 3 nil this season?!

The rest is also a bit ranty and doesn’t make sense, sorry. I don’t mean to be rude but can we agree on English please as our chosen language to disagree in?

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Just put on the match thread, remember going up there in our fist season in the prem....now that was shocking!

I also remember our opening game against the Mancs when we were pinned back in our half for 80 odd minutes. We have really come a long way. We have created chances against 3 of the top teams in the division. Even today with luck we could have walked away with a point. I share the disappointment but I don’t agree that we are crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Everton's finishing was clinical , they break at speed and overload the box. Which we don't do.

But we did compete , another suicide piece of defending on the stroke of half time after we had been pressing to take the lead, changed everything. It seemed to knock the stuffing out of us and we quickly became 4-1 down. However , we are creating chances but are too slow in getting the shot off and if Mina had been playing for us we probably would have got a draw. How much did he cost ?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
But you are excusing, you’re using that old chestnut about money. Palace beat Utd at OT. This season and last. West Brom got a point and nearly three against Chelsea. Everton are a form side, but haven’t you noticed how we have a habit of playing form sides?! That should tell you something. And if they’re not and indeed on a dreadful run, We’re like footballs AA van, arriving at other teams grounds to get them up and going again with 3pts and a cheery smile and wave as we depart on our coach having reignited their season. Every other smaller club pulls off shock results. We don’t. We just don’t. I had us down for 5-1 defeat today. 250-1. So close. Closer than most I expect. Too many rose tints on this board in denial aka Losers! Not saying you’re one of them, but when are we going to stop with the excuses every week, every season. Rather be in the Champ than never experiencing the joy of ever getting a result at a top side, where we’ve typically never done so during our entire history. Every season, endless excuses. Excuses, excuses excuses. Its BS. You only have to look at the results of a host of other unfashionable clubs like us who have pulled off a result at such places. But nope, with Brighton it’s always because of XYZ. Well bollocks to XYZ! Our mentality as fans and as a club it seems just ain’t strong enough when we’re on the road at such places. We expect to lose. And lose we do. Again and again. The only thing more predictable is the parade of excuses afterwards.

So the victories over Arsenal and Man Utd in our first season, victory over Man Utd and a draws home and away to Arsenal in our second season (the draw at Arsenal coming when we were awful) and the wins over Spurs, the home and away wins over Arsenal and the draw against Chelsea last season don't count as shock results? That's no different to what Palace or West Brom have pulled off this season.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Did you have the memory of us beating spurs, man utd, arsenal etc surgically removed!?

When did we beat Spurs AWAY? Utd AWAY? Chelsea AWAY? Liverpool AWAY? Man City AWAY? Everton AWAY? you’re frothing so fast on your keyboard you can’t even be bothered to read the point I’m making about our away performances at such places since we arrived in the PL. I’m therefore out, you’re like some brat who smugly finishes early but hasn’t read the exam question correctly. So here’s your donut. Enjoy.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
So the victories over Arsenal and Man Utd in our first season, victory over Man Utd and a draws home and away to Arsenal in our second season (the draw at Arsenal coming when we were awful) and the wins over Spurs, the home and away wins over Arsenal and the draw against Chelsea last season don't count as shock results? That's no different to what Palace or West Brom have pulled off this season.

Another donut needed here. Another exam question fail. But also just to let you know Palace beat Utd away last season too. Oh, and here’s a real chocker. They beat Man City away during their title winning season the year before. But I’m not even talking wins. Draws would be fine. That’s also a result. But we don’t do those either.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
It looks like a long hard season ahead. Any team watching our 4 games thus far now know all they have to do is deliver the ball into the box and we disintegrate and concede goals.
Keeper stay stuck on his line and the defenders for whatever reason are getting beaten to the ball

Zonal marking....not working. Teams have worked us out. Nullify Dunk ( usually to be found in the centre of the six yard box ) Whip free kicks in near post ( e.g Mina ) or play deep beyond the line...( e.g McGuire or McTomine or Calvert Lewin ) Ryan stays put and we are exposed every time. Every PL team will have spotted this. Plenty more of the same will be dished up and we desperately need to improve our discipline at the back or the goals will keep going in.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
After last week's ManU game, I see we're right back to Bipolar Hove Albion time.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Another donut needed here. Another exam question fail. But also just to let you know Palace beat Utd away last season too. Oh, and here’s a real chocker. They beat Man City away during their title winning season the year before. But I’m not even talking wins. Draws would be fine. That’s also a result. But we don’t do those either.

Palace did beat United away last season - at the eleventh time of asking. They lost their first 10 away games to United in the premier league. Overall they have beaten Manchester United twice in 23 premier league games home and away, the same number we have managed in seven games.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Just a reminder for the 'rose tinted '......
0-3..1-3..0-5..1-3..2-3..2-4......last few results against the ' better ' sides. See a trend....ah yes...3 goals or more conceded in every game. It doesn't seem to matter how well we play we always seem to conjure up enough mistakes to let the big boys close us out. We sure as hell are going to have to win a lot of the ' lesser ' games because unless there is a dramatic improvement, those surprise results aren't going to happen.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
We have been a bottom 6 side for the last 3 years.

If we don’t spend some proper money it will be the same this time around. Potter is doing well without spending - but not forking out for a Murray replacement is unforgiveable in my opinion & reason enough to bite us on the back side for relegation.

So who is this Murray replacement then? We all know that we will not overspend. Even more so with what's going on at the moment we need to cut our cloth accordingly. This is only our 4th season in the premier league, we can not compete with teams who have been in this league to ages.
Maybe we should take a scattergun approach and hope it pays off, bit like Fulham 2 season ago, because that worked well for them didn't it. Buying a striker has its risk, paying over the top for one is even riskier.

We have a young squad, good manager and backroom staff and also a fan as the owner, in them I trust.

At the end of the day we are nowhere near being a top six side, that takes years, one thing I am very confident in is that we will not go down this season.

Bad result today yes, season defining NO

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Unbelievable over reaction to one game...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
But you are excusing, you’re using that old chestnut about money. Palace beat Utd at OT. This season and last. West Brom got a point and nearly three against Chelsea. Everton are a form side, but haven’t you noticed how we have a habit of playing form sides?! That should tell you something. And if they’re not and indeed on a dreadful run, We’re like footballs AA van, arriving at other teams grounds to get them up and going again with 3pts and a cheery smile and wave as we depart on our coach having reignited their season. Every other smaller club pulls off shock results. We don’t. We just don’t. I had us down for 5-1 defeat today. 250-1. So close. Closer than most I expect. Too many rose tints on this board in denial aka Losers! Not saying you’re one of them, but when are we going to stop with the excuses every week, every season. Rather be in the Champ than never experiencing the joy of ever getting a result at a top side, where we’ve typically never done so during our entire history. Every season, endless excuses. Excuses, excuses excuses. Its BS. You only have to look at the results of a host of other unfashionable clubs like us who have pulled off a result at such places. But nope, with Brighton it’s always because of XYZ. Well bollocks to XYZ! Our mentality as fans and as a club it seems just ain’t strong enough when we’re on the road at such places. We expect to lose. And lose we do. Again and again. The only thing more predictable is the parade of excuses afterwards.

why are you making up this shit? what's the point, you can't carry off the lie, so why do it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here