[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
A high level look at possibilities. Each option will of course take time and incur many losses.

'Under the last option, Crimea will be within reach of Ukrainian artillery and air attacks. And this means that even without the capture of the peninsula, the Ukrainians could make Crimea impossible for the presence of the Russian military and civilian population.'

I've heard similar elsewhere. Threaten Russian-occupied Crimea from a variety of angles, block their supply routes, and the Russian army withers on the vine. (Or not, as the case may be).

Watch the link below from 14:15 onwards. The link is a month old, so you have the ability to watch it in the light of recent events. There's also an interesting precedent from 1905/1917, with Russians walking off the battlefield, or there's a change of regime.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
'Under the last option, Crimea will be within reach of Ukrainian artillery and air attacks. And this means that even without the capture of the peninsula, the Ukrainians could make Crimea impossible for the presence of the Russian military and civilian population.'

I've heard similar elsewhere. Threaten Russian-occupied Crimea from a variety of angles, block their supply routes, and the Russian army withers on the vine. (Or not, as the case may be).

Watch the link below from 14:15 onwards. The link is a month old, so you have the ability to watch it in the light of recent events. There's also an interesting precedent from 1905/1917, with Russians walking off the battlefield, or there's a change of regime.

Thanks, I will listen. I'd somehow thought originally that Crimea would be Ukraine's final target...but it could be the first.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I don't understand the 'safety of the passage' bit...but it's a big move on the chess board.
My goodness. Putin is at war with the whole world. Now it's Israel, Greece and Turkey / Georgia.
Now civilian merchant seamen from countries other than Ukraine, are facing him down.

This could develop into a landmark moment, in which the world no longer yields to his threats. He and Russia could become irrelevant.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
My goodness. Putin is at war with the whole world. Now it's Israel, Greece and Turkey / Georgia.
Now civilian merchant seamen from countries other than Ukraine, are facing him down.

This could develop into a landmark moment, in which the world no longer yields to his threats. He and Russia could become irrelevant.
I'm theorising here 🤔...but if Russia sank a Greek or Turkish civilian ship he'd potentially be at war with NATO? no,??
He's unlikely to sink an Israeli ship...

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015

Well, what we all hope is that Putin and his closest sycophants will disappear, and a new more democratic Russia will emerge, one which won't cultivate the extreme and macho "Mother Russia" fervour that Putin reveled in.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The escalation with Moscow and Russia now apparently being targeted by Ukrainian drones will not be being welcomed by Nato countries supplying weaponry will it?

That having been said, it’s about time that your average Russian realised that they are not safe in this “special military operation”

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This feels a good turn of events - Russians need to understand it is the majority of the world that is against this.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
The escalation with Moscow and Russia now apparently being targeted by Ukrainian drones will not be being welcomed by Nato countries supplying weaponry will it?

That having been said, it’s about time that your average Russian realised that they are not safe in this “special military operation”
I think it'll be fine. Ukraine will be using their own drones (made or purchased) rather than NATO supplied (which would be an issue).
It's good that Russians can smell the war now, in Moscow and Crimea at least.
From the bbc...Ukrainian made 👍

Ukraine drones 'used in Russia'​

Journalists attend the presentation of a UJ-22 Airborne (UkrJet) reconnaissance drone

Getty ImagesCopyright: Getty Images
A UJ-22 Airborne (UkrJet) reconnaissance droneImage caption: A UJ-22 Airborne (UkrJet) reconnaissance drone
At least three Ukrainian-made drones have been used inside Russia during the war so far, according to analysis by the New York Times.
The drones have been identified as the Bober, the UJ-22 Airborne and a third model with an undetermined name.
The newspaper also says the frequency of these drone attacks have been increasing.
It used a range of sources including flight footage analysis of wreckage found on the ground, as well as conducting interviews with experts, to come to its conclusions.
Kyiv has either not commented on or denied any involvement in such attacks, including the latest in Moscow.

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

I think NATO countries will be delighted with how easy it is to strike Moscow and how poor Russian Air defence is.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

This feels a good turn of events - Russians need to understand it is the majority of the world that is against this.

I think it'll be fine. Ukraine will be using their own drones (made or purchased) rather than NATO supplied (which would be an issue).
It's good that Russians can smell the war now, in Moscow and Crimea at least.
From the bbc...Ukrainian made 👍

Ukraine drones 'used in Russia'​

View attachment 164353
Getty ImagesCopyright: Getty Images
A UJ-22 Airborne (UkrJet) reconnaissance droneImage caption: A UJ-22 Airborne (UkrJet) reconnaissance drone
At least three Ukrainian-made drones have been used inside Russia during the war so far, according to analysis by the New York Times.
The drones have been identified as the Bober, the UJ-22 Airborne and a third model with an undetermined name.
The newspaper also says the frequency of these drone attacks have been increasing.
It used a range of sources including flight footage analysis of wreckage found on the ground, as well as conducting interviews with experts, to come to its conclusions.
Kyiv has either not commented on or denied any involvement in such attacks, including the latest in Moscow.
And just as Ukraine starts to up the ante....

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I wonder if the US have had a word during recent import/export discussions 🤔
I'd guess this is more aimed at curbing Ukraine and assisting Russia.
China is already secretly supplying all sorts of technological hardware, including drone components to Russia.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports