Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Georgian protestors make it clear that Russian cruise tourists in Batumi, Georgia are not welcome.

'by Tuesday, Astoria Grande's website had dropped the port in favour of a route along the Turkish coast.' This begs the question:

What the **** is Turkey, a NATO member, doing accepting a Russian cruise ship at its ports? (n)

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Georgian protestors make it clear that Russian cruise tourists in Batumi, Georgia are not welcome.

'by Tuesday, Astoria Grande's website had dropped the port in favour of a route along the Turkish coast.' This begs the question:

What the **** is Turkey, a NATO member, doing accepting a Russian cruise ship at its ports? (n)
Maybe they'll just view the lovely coastline rather than dock? I really must research how Georgia functions with a pro-European President and a pro-Russian ruling party

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I think it'll be fine. Ukraine will be using their own drones (made or purchased) rather than NATO supplied (which would be an issue).
It's good that Russians can smell the war now, in Moscow and Crimea at least.
From the bbc...Ukrainian made 👍

Ukraine drones 'used in Russia'​

View attachment 164353
Getty ImagesCopyright: Getty Images
A UJ-22 Airborne (UkrJet) reconnaissance droneImage caption: A UJ-22 Airborne (UkrJet) reconnaissance drone
At least three Ukrainian-made drones have been used inside Russia during the war so far, according to analysis by the New York Times.
The drones have been identified as the Bober, the UJ-22 Airborne and a third model with an undetermined name.
The newspaper also says the frequency of these drone attacks have been increasing.
It used a range of sources including flight footage analysis of wreckage found on the ground, as well as conducting interviews with experts, to come to its conclusions.
Kyiv has either not commented on or denied any involvement in such attacks, including the latest in Moscow.
BBC report today (apologies, can’t provide a link) says 120 drone attacks on Russian territory so far this year.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Maybe they'll just view the lovely coastline rather than dock? I really must research how Georgia functions with a pro-European President and a pro-Russian ruling party
No, it definitely calls at Turkish ports.

'The ship will first call at the Turkish cities of Trabzon and Sinop on the Black Sea coast, prior to docking in Istanbul for a couple of days. During her 2-week-long trip, the ship will then head for the resort town Cesme (Aegean coast) and Bozcaada Island, before sailing back to Sochi.'

'The Turkish tourism company Miray Cruises will offer the services at the ports Astoria Grande will call.'
'From January through to May, ~856,000 Russians visited Turkey, comprising 7.5% of all foreign tourist arrivals, the latest data from the Culture and Tourism Ministry revealed.'
'In the first 5 months of 2022, Russians were the 3rd largest group of foreign tourists, after Germans and Bulgarians.'

Good to see Turkey is embracing both the letter and the spirit of the sanctions isn't it?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
No, it definitely calls at Turkish ports.

'The ship will first call at the Turkish cities of Trabzon and Sinop on the Black Sea coast, prior to docking in Istanbul for a couple of days. During her 2-week-long trip, the ship will then head for the resort town Cesme (Aegean coast) and Bozcaada Island, before sailing back to Sochi.'

'The Turkish tourism company Miray Cruises will offer the services at the ports Astoria Grande will call.'
'From January through to May, ~856,000 Russians visited Turkey, comprising 7.5% of all foreign tourist arrivals, the latest data from the Culture and Tourism Ministry revealed.'
'In the first 5 months of 2022, Russians were the 3rd largest group of foreign tourists, after Germans and Bulgarians.'

Good to see Turkey is embracing both the letter and the spirit of the sanctions isn't it?
Thanks for the facts ☹️. They certainly embrace both sides of the equation. Big money earner for Turkey I guess.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Thanks for the facts ☹️. They certainly embrace both sides of the equation. Big money earner for Turkey I guess.
You are too polite. There are many adjectives to describe Turkish behaviour during the war. Duplicitous is the most gentle one I can think of.

Extrapolate that duplicity at a national/governmental level, and you begin to wonder if Erdogan was letting Russian exports through the Bosphorus, Putin is happy with the grain deal, but then Erdogan comes under pressure from the EU to toe the line (=behave or no EU membership), is forced to stop the Russian exports, Putin throws a wobbly and we've got a grain/food crisis.

Just my interpretation you understand. I could be wrong and frequently am.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
You are too polite. There are many adjectives to describe Turkish behaviour during the war. Duplicitous is the most gentle one I can think of.

Extrapolate that duplicity at a national/governmental level, and you begin to wonder if Erdogan was letting Russian exports through the Bosphorus, Putin is happy with the grain deal, but then Erdogan comes under pressure from the EU to toe the line (=behave or no EU membership), is forced to stop the Russian exports, Putin throws a wobbly and we've got a grain/food crisis.

Just my interpretation you understand. I could be wrong and frequently am.
I am frequently wrong myself, and you could well be right on this one.
Needs some analysis of all shipping movements through the Bosphorous, far beyond me.
Yes, very duplicitous.
Perversely, the more I boil with rage the more polite my words can be.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I am frequently wrong myself, and you could well be right on this one.
Needs some analysis of all shipping movements through the Bosphorous, far beyond me.
Yes, very duplicitous.
Perversely, the more I boil with rage the more polite my words can be.
Haha - I like that one. Very good.

If I am right about the grain deal (one minute Russia is happy with it, the next it isn't), then Turkish deviousness will have cost lives, probably both in Ukraine and in Africa.

Conspiracy theorising and rant over. Normal service will be resumed shortly.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Haha - I like that one. Very good.

If I am right about the grain deal (one minute Russia is happy with it, the next it isn't), then Turkish deviousness will have cost lives, probably both in Ukraine and in Africa.

Conspiracy theorising and rant over. Normal service will be resumed shortly.
The theorising and ranting are a safety valve for me, and I guess for others too.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The charitable argument for Turkey’s actions is it is trying to position itself as a third party both sides can trust in the hopes of proving to be a regional mediator in the months and years to come.

The uncharitable one is Erdogan is just another right wing dickhead who’s in thrall to the Kremlin, along with many other right wing politicians across Europe (yes, Viktor Orban, I’m looking at you, and you Marine Le Pen).

I know which one I’m more inclined to believe.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Worrying but I really don’t think he’d be stupid enough to invade a UN territory. Would he?

I assume you mean a member of NATO. No, I don't think he would. Being afraid of NATO was one of the reasons he gave for invading Ukraine in the first place. He wanted to prevent Ukraine from joining NATO, as he saw NATO as the aggressor, as it had 'expanded' in his view, when the former Soviet states to his west, became independent.

If you study his modus operandi, much of it I believe can be traced back to his love of judo. Within the sport of judo, there exists the art of Kuzushi - the art of unbalancing your opponent by pulling or pushing him, to destabilise him and so make your next move that much easier to execute.

Putin's M.O. is to disrupt. Stir things up. Threaten. Accuse. Lie. Distract. Distort. He loves to accuse his opponent of his own misdemeanours. That's a favourite, designed to outrage the opponent and provoke an emotional response, at the expense of a logical one.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I was astounded when Erdogan appeared to come on board. I had always seen him and Putin as bedfellows, and sadly it appears that I was right.
Erdogan is as slippery as an eel in a bath of KY jelly. Turkey has always rejoiced in it's 'one foot in the west, one in the east' status, and is, and always has been, dedicated to playing one off against the other.

Last edited:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Here is the Sky report on China restricting export of long-range drones. It would seem that China has been caught red-handed.

'Beijing has previously accused the US and Western media of spreading "false information" about Chinese drone exports, while DJI says it has "never designed and manufactured products and equipment for military use".
It comes after a US intelligence report claimed Beijing possibly provided equipment used in Ukraine that might have military applications.
The report cited Russian customs data that showed Chinese state-owned military contractors supplied drones, navigation equipment, fighter jet parts and other goods.'

The section where Zakharova plays the victim, likening the drone attack to 9/11 is a good laugh, if only because it confirms the psychological effect on Russia.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here