Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Another comprehensive bulletin from Sky News:

There are several interesting articles in this report. Highlights include a clip of a Ukrainian sea drone attacking a Russian landing ship, and then a still of the ship listing and being towed into Novorossiysk.

Ukrainian drones seem able to penetrate Russian defences (both Moscow air defences and Black Sea fleet sea defences) likes knives through butter.
Military analysts in the Pentagon and elsewhere will no doubt be taking note.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Another comprehensive bulletin from Sky News:

There are several interesting articles in this report. Highlights include a clip of a Ukrainian sea drone attacking a Russian landing ship, and then a still of the ship listing and being towed into Novorossiysk.

Ukrainian drones seem able to penetrate Russian defences (both Moscow air defences and Black Sea fleet sea defences) likes knives through butter.
Military analysts in the Pentagon and elsewhere will no doubt be taking note.

I read somewhere that the drones avoid a lot of the air defence systems on the way to Moscow because they fly slowly. Most of the Russian air defence is calibrated to detect fast moving missiles.
Don't know if that's 100% correct but seems reasonable, no?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I read somewhere that the drones avoid a lot of the air defence systems on the way to Moscow because they fly slowly. Most of the Russian air defence is calibrated to detect fast moving missiles.
Don't know if that's 100% correct but seems reasonable, no?
It could well be true. A few days ago, I read that today's modern attack drones could shred US air defences. If true, then they could overwhelm any air defences Russia has. While I'm not suggesting the US has supplied such drones to Ukraine, it is supplying Black Hornet nano drones (tiny, lightweight short-range reconnaissance drones) in some numbers. These are not (yet) armed with weapons, but have cameras and thermal imaging.

Edit: I understand that some US Air Force drones can recognise faces...

Last edited:

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Has the bridge been hit again ? ???
Rumours flying around that it was... here's hoping!
Boat and a bridge in 24 hours?! Wouldn't it be wonderful if the answer to attacking was just to slow the drones down so they can't be picked up. The naval drone sure seemed to come to a stop before the final approach , and it doesn't seem to be shot at, so the russians didn't seem to know it was coming.

Last edited:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Has the bridge been hit again ? ???
Lots of reports of another attack coordinated with naval drones and air missiles.

Plus "allegedly" a massive Russian oil tanker at anchor 30nm from the kerch bridge smashed with drones too.

I hope its all true, Putin thought he could pummel Ukraine, its citizens, the global wheat trade and its ports and Ukraine couldn't reply.

You sow wind you reap the whirlwind

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Lots of reports of another attack coordinated with naval drones and air missiles.

Plus "allegedly" a massive Russian oil tanker at anchor 30nm from the kerch bridge smashed with drones too.

I hope its all true, Putin thought he could pummel Ukraine, its citizens, the global wheat trade and its ports and Ukraine couldn't reply.

You sow wind you reap the whirlwind
Oil tanker hit is definitely true, "sig" on international sanctions list, used to supply fuel to Syria, was empty and in internationally recognised Ukrainian waters.

Not sure if bridge was and nothing of confirmation, only initial speculation. Seems traffic was halted, likely because of the oil tanker strike.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
The tragedy though is must have caused a lot of pollution. However it must be done.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
The tragedy though is must have caused a lot of pollution. However it must be done.

I believe it was empty, so not as environmentally damaging as it might have been. But still a major play by Ukraine.

Putin currently wants to drag the conflict out and hope western support begins to wane.

As Crude oil is Russia's largest export, Ukraine's capacity to threaten it will certainly test Putin's thoughts of prolonging the war.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I believe it was empty, so not as environmentally damaging as it might have been. But still a major play by Ukraine.

Putin currently wants to drag the conflict out and hope western support begins to wane.

As Crude oil is Russia's largest export, Ukraine's capacity to threaten it will certainly test Putin's thoughts of prolonging the war.
Especially with that utter piece of sh*t Trump making noises about returning.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Russia is now trying to colonise Mariupol, the Ukrainian city it flattened in a two month siege.
It is trying to colonise it with Russian citizens, who appear not to realise it is in a war zone.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Russia is now trying to colonise Mariupol, the Ukrainian city it flattened in a two month siege.
It is trying to colonise it with Russian citizens, who appear not to realise it is in a war zone.

Can't believe there are many livable flats or neighbourhoods left! Surly when you get there & see the devastation you'd just turn round & leave.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
And they've successfully targeted a blood transfusion centre. Even Putin would struggle to stoop lower, although there's no doubt in my mind that it's not beyond him.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Can't believe there are many livable flats or neighbourhoods left! Surly when you get there & see the devastation you'd just turn round & leave.
They've been building on the outskirts of the city.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I don't know how it works. Perhaps by the time they get there, they are already committed, with a mortgage etc.

Perhaps the potential buyers are just shown pictures of the shiny new apartment blocks, and not the 90% of the city which is still a wasteland of rubble.

In addition to the (unknown to the buyers) risk of it being in a war zone, they won't be aware of the risk that in the event of Ukraine retaking it, their ownership could become invalid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here