Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Wow, that hits the nail on the head! I’ve thought in similar terms for ages.

A - one called in to Nicky Campbell last week, an old bloke from the north who was anti support and empathy for Ukraine, he refused to answer when NC asked if “he was gutted that the USSR broke up?”.

C - NSC until recently had a regular poster who really, really loved and admired the SS and new fascist murder machines. Trump’s in this category.

D - NSC has one or two of these. Also Dim Le Tissier.

B - Whatever happened to Dave in Prague?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That Ukraine is going to get the blame

I think it highly unlikely that the guy even had a Swastika on his T shirt too, probably does now though.
A bit tenuous.
The Russian official media might try putting that spin on it; probably not as many ordinary Russians will believe it as would have believed it a month or so ago.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
That Ukraine is going to get the blame

I think it highly unlikely that the guy even had a Swastika on his T shirt too, probably does now though.

Highly unlikely, I mean where would the Russian State police get a Nazi t-shirt at short notice.....

Oh hang on, the locker room perhaps.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Clue to what?
That Russia have their own nazis?
That Russia can claim is driven the nazis out of Ukraine and relocated them in Izhevsk?
That Ukrainian nazis have invaded Russia and got as far as Izhevsk?
,,,or Russia's got its own US style nutjobs with guns?

At the end of the day, it's a tragedy. First thoughts are for the onnocent victims, their families and friends.

A spot on summary. I don't care how Russian spins it, if they do, their default position is to lie. It's a tragedy for the kids, teachers and parents involved and that's it.
Russia has a big enough population to have at least a few nut jobs with access to guns.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
“School Number 88”.

That’s some Orwellian shit right there.

O/T - America also refers to schools by number, certainly in New York. (Anybody who remembers the cartoon 'Hey Arnold' knows that they attended Public School (PS) 118). I do believe they also have informal names as well, but the number is their official designation.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I'm very happy that Konstantine from Inside Russia has now left Russia, destination Tashkent.

Does it looks like Putin, and his like, will never be overthrown by the Russian people themselves? They choose to flee the country instead (those rich enough or with the right connections). That's not actually a criticism of Konstantine himself, whom I've seen on a few of his videos, as in that situation I'd have to wonder what I would do myself?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Does it looks like Putin, and his like, will never be overthrown by the Russian people themselves? They choose to flee the country instead (those rich enough or with the right connections). That's not actually a criticism of Konstantine himself, whom I've seen on a few of his videos, as in that situation I'd have to wonder what I would do myself?

That's an interesting point. Russians have acquiesced to being ruled by fear since the Russian revolution in 1917, and probably long before that as well. Do they have the capacity to revolt again?

Take a look at this from Dr. Jack Watling of the RUSI:
'Contemplating Eucatastrophe: Preparing for the Improbable in Russia'

https://rusi.org/explore-our-resear...ing-eucatastrophe-preparing-improbable-russia

Perhaps the most telling part lies here: 'whoever replaces Putin would likely have a similar outlook, use similar methods, and be deeply distrustful of the West'.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Russia and West poker game - the stakes are rising :down:

"Let's imagine that Russia is forced to use the most fearsome weapon against the Ukrainian regime which had committed a large-scale act of aggression that is dangerous for the very existence of our state," Medvedev said in a post on Telegram.

"I believe that NATO would not directly interfere in the conflict even in this scenario," Medvedev said. "The demagogues across the ocean and in Europe are not going to die in a nuclear apocalypse."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/worl...sedgntp&cvid=2823e511a1ae49fbaa76d5d6bb700947

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Russia and West poker game - the stakes are rising :down:

"Let's imagine that Russia is forced to use the most fearsome weapon against the Ukrainian regime which had committed a large-scale act of aggression that is dangerous for the very existence of our state," Medvedev said in a post on Telegram.

"I believe that NATO would not directly interfere in the conflict even in this scenario," Medvedev said. "The demagogues across the ocean and in Europe are not going to die in a nuclear apocalypse."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/worl...sedgntp&cvid=2823e511a1ae49fbaa76d5d6bb700947

he may well be right, we'd not start lobbing nukes back. it would be a very hollow victory for Russian to have beaten little Ukraine with use of nukes - if they even do. i dont see how they come out of that either domestically or internationally. seems their best outcome from here is to hold what they've taken so far, with a trashed economy and pariah status.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
he may well be right, we'd not start lobbing nukes back. it would be a very hollow victory for Russian to have beaten little Ukraine with use of nukes - if they even do. i dont see how they come out of that either domestically or internationally. seems their best outcome from here is to hold what they've taken so far, with a trashed economy and pariah status.

This.

You can look at this situation from 1,000 angles, and I can't find a single one where Putin (& Russia) comes out of it well.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

He's right. We wouldn't do it.

We also wouldn't be sending our troops with those things going off.

It would be a successful strategy from a purely military point of view and that's why the situation is very much on a knife edge. From a Russian view, deploying these weapons makes a lot of sense.

The west has very few other levers it can pull

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
From a Russian view, deploying these weapons makes a lot of sense.

Ish. It completely destroys their narrative of being the victim, and just trying to help free the poor Ukrainians.

You'd imagine China and others would also further withdraw support, leaving Russia very much isolated, a sinking ship.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
This.

You can look at this situation from 1,000 angles, and I can't find a single one where Putin (& Russia) comes out of it well.
He is done... whichever outcome is now arrived at. Families of the dead and wounded, now in the tens of thousands will not sit back and allow him a free pass... the West will simply keep the pressure on to get him and his sidekicks removed.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
NATO ultimately exists to defend NATO, and as Ukraine is not in NATO then it would not nuke Moscow if Moscow nuked Kyiv, that's just a statement of fact.

The problem Russia has is if they do go down that road then neither China nor India will back them. Then they're utterly isolated and ****ed. It would be the ultimate pyrrhic victory.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Ish. It completely destroys their narrative of being the victim, and just trying to help free the poor Ukrainians.

You'd imagine China and others would also further withdraw support, leaving Russia very much isolated, a sinking ship.

Ultimately the narrative is just a means to an end, to annex as much of Ukraine as possible. They don't care what people either in the country or otherwise think.

The China thing I think is overstated. Nobody in the Kremlin will see themselves subservient to China or that China should have any say on their decision making.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
NATO ultimately exists to defend NATO, and as Ukraine is not in NATO then it would not nuke Moscow if Moscow nuked Kyiv, that's just a statement of fact.

The problem Russia has is if they do go down that road then neither China nor India will back them. Then they're utterly isolated and ****ed. It would be the ultimate pyrrhic victory.

This. It's a completely hollow victory and potentially ****s them for decades, if not forever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here